Manvel Developments

Georgefishman

For now, this stuff is still a bit up in the sky because Manvel has got a few too many irons in the fire. It'll take a good long while before they start seeing results on the ground.

Also, the Argovitz tracts that have been assembled on the west side of 288 along Highway 6 seem to be primed for some kind of commercial development. It sounds like he'll also get a MUD and TIRZ set up for himself, just like the others.

For now, this stuff is still a bit up in the sky because Manvel has got a few too many irons in the fire. It'll take a good long while before they start seeing results on the ground.

Also, the Argovitz tracts that have been assembled on the west side of 288 along Highway 6 seem to be primed for some kind of commercial development. It sounds like he'll also get a MUD and TIRZ set up for himself, just like the others.

It seems like this type of neighborhood is opening everywhere on this side of town. Friendswood at 528 and 45. Hwy 35 and 528, League city, Hwy 59 in Rosenburg...etc. I am wondering where all the people have been hiding that there is so much demand for expensive housing?

I also read an article in the Houston Business Journal today that another top developer was coming to Pearland. I do not have paid access to the entire article but the link is attached.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../30/story5.html

G

It seems like this type of neighborhood is opening everywhere on this side of town. Friendswood at 528 and 45. Hwy 35 and 528, League city, Hwy 59 in Rosenburg...etc. I am wondering where all the people have been hiding that there is so much demand for expensive housing?

I also read an article in the Houston Business Journal today that another top developer was coming to Pearland. I do not have paid access to the entire article but the link is attached.

G

I read that article too. But this "developer" should not be taken at his word. He's a great land planner, but he's a piss poor investor. His mantra is "build it and they will come"; try telling that to a lender.

• 2 weeks later...
I read that article too. But this "developer" should not be taken at his word. He's a great land planner, but he's a piss poor investor. His mantra is "build it and they will come"; try telling that to a lender.

I can see that. He looks like he has his hand in many projects across the Sugarland-Baytown area. My hopes are that he does get something going in the area. I have 10 acres off 566 that won't be prime until all the rest of the area is built up.

G

• 3 weeks later...

G

HBJ has now made the story available for free.

• 1 year later...

My great aunt & uncle were rice farmers in Manvel back in the 40's and 50's. My uncle died of cancer and my aunt lived in Alvin until she passed away in the early 1970's. I tryed to get my mom to show me were the farm was before she passed away last year, but the landmarks had all changed. She got me close, south of town across the railroad tracks, but then she couldn't recognize anything after that. It was several hundred acres from what I was told.

My great aunt & uncle were rice farmers in Manvel back in the 40's and 50's. My uncle died of cancer and my aunt lived in Alvin until she passed away in the early 1970's. I tryed to get my mom to show me were the farm was before she passed away last year, but the landmarks had all changed. She got me close, south of town across the railroad tracks, but then she couldn't recognize anything after that. It was several hundred acres from what I was told.

I'm not too familiar with Manvel, but I've noticed that the Silvercreek subdivision and the southern part of the Silverlake subdivision is in Manvel... is that stretch of 288 alongside Silvercreek, near the Ford dealership, where this new development will be? I'm interested in a house in Silvercreek, but I'm thinking that there's likely to be some huge retail complex a block away in the near future. Thanks for any info.

I'm sort of surprised by how much land the incorporated limits of Manvel cover. If there's a swell of new home development spilling over from Pearland, they'll have a lot of area within Manvel proper with which to work. Manvel could be one of those boom 'burbs that grows by 30,000 residents in less than ten years without having to annex a single acre of land.

• 3 months later...
It'll definitely happen, but the question is when. It'll probably be a few years.

Yep...few more years for more subdivisions to open up and more residents move in. But with the drag in economy/real estate, it might be a little longer or even grounded permanently.

• 1 month later...
I don't know how many Rodeo Palms residents are HAIFers but I just want to tell them that Rodeo Dr is now open to CR 58. That should knock off 5 minutes/4 miles when going to Houston.

I can't believe that they were able to sell any houses at all with a name like Rodeo Palms. Tack-E! Reminds me of that old Saturday Night Live spoof of The Beverly Hillbillies called The Bel-Arabs, and their painting of the nude sculptures.

I don't know what you really mean but I live there. Other things like proximity to places I frequent and nice atmosphere are more important than the name to me. If you think 'Rodeo Palms' is tacky wait until you hear our street names - Atascadero, Old Presidio, Supiro, Terra Bella, Morro Bay. How I admire 'Lilly Meadows' now.

Oh I just did a google search on some of those names. I think some small towns along California bay may have inspired the developer.

I don't know what you really mean but I live there. Other things like proximity to places I frequent and nice atmosphere are more important than the name to me. If you think 'Rodeo Palms' is tacky wait until you hear our street names - Atascadero, Old Presidio, Supiro, Terra Bella, Morro Bay. How I admire 'Lilly Meadows' now.

Oh I just did a google search on some of those names. I think some small towns along California bay may have inspired the developer.

Is there a street named after Bodega Bay? If so, watch out for the birds! :-)

• The title was changed to Manvel Developments

Archived