Katy ISD Bond Plan 2006

Chris

The Katy Independent School District is conducting another Bond Program for 2006. The total cost for the package will be $269,472,225. 5 new schools will be built. There will be no High School built in the Package.

Esisting Facilities:

-Morton Ranch High School 9th grade center

-Mayde Creek High School natatorium

-Miller Career Center additions/renovations

-Opportunity Awareness Center & School of Choice additions/renovations

-roofing, mechanical/electrical/plumbing, carpet, brickwork, restroom refinishing, air conditioning, central

plant and other projects

-computer, server and network retrofits and upgrades

-campus security system

-campus visitor system

Total for existing facilities:................................. $125,319,723

New Facilities:

-3 new elementary schools (#30, #31, #32)

-2 new junior highs (#11, #12)

-design for Elementary #33

-Total for new facilities:....................................... $119,983,690

Other Items:

-buses

-portable buildings

-land for 8 schools

-bond issuance costs

Total for other items:.......................................... $24,168,812

TOTAL PROPOSED BOND PACKAGE: $269,472,225

To see all details or what items your specific campus will be recieving, go to www.katyisd.org. (go to link 2006 Bond Election Information)

They will need another high school in about two years. Why doesn't Morton Ranch already have a 9th grade center? It is twice the size of Seven Lakes, but Seven Lakes has one. I guess the district spends more on schools south of the freeway.

will katy isd take over lamar consolidated? or factions of lamar? (eg lakemont, westheimer lakes, weston lakes). I dont know if westheimer lakes is already in katy isd- I think it is. I am mainly talking about all the developments off 1093 and the westpark tollway.

weston lakes would be great tax revenue addition, but likely these are all pipe dreams and ways for texans to be taxed even more severely.

I dont understand why wolfe elementary is not apart of the bond allocation to existing structures (kind of a 'f*ck you' to the old addicks isd which brings in a shoot load of their tax revenue).

What's the word on the 9th grade centers? Is it done for cost savings (ie. not having to build new HS) or is it done for developmental purposes (ie. 9th graders not mature enough to mix with 11th and 12th graders)? They've long had these in the Metroplex, but are relatively new within the past 10 years here in Houston.

What's the word on the 9th grade centers? Is it done for cost savings (ie. not having to build new HS) or is it done for developmental purposes (ie. 9th graders not mature enough to mix with 11th and 12th graders)? They've long had these in the Metroplex, but are relatively new within the past 10 years here in Houston.

Ninth-grade centers are done primarily for developmental purposes. Fourteen year-olds do not mix well with thirteen and twelve-year olds OR fifteen to eighteen-year-olds. It is also a critical time in a student's academic development. Studies have shown that ninth-grade centers can reduce dropout rates.

will katy isd take over lamar consolidated? or factions of lamar? (eg lakemont, westheimer lakes, weston lakes). I dont know if westheimer lakes is already in katy isd- I think it is. I am mainly talking about all the developments off 1093 and the westpark tollway.

weston lakes would be great tax revenue addition, but likely these are all pipe dreams and ways for texans to be taxed even more severely.

I dont understand why wolfe elementary is not apart of the bond allocation to existing structures (kind of a 'f*ck you' to the old addicks isd which brings in a shoot load of their tax revenue).

A new roof for Wolfe Elementary is included in this bond package.

They will need another high school in about two years. Why doesn't Morton Ranch already have a 9th grade center? It is twice the size of Seven Lakes, but Seven Lakes has one. I guess the district spends more on schools south of the freeway.

The 1999 bond that funded the construction of Morton Ranch High School was for $324 million. The 2002 bond that funded Seven Lakes High School and the Seven Lakes ninth-grade center was for $315 million. At the time, demographic projections indicated that Seven Lakes would reach capacity before Morton Ranch High School and the district planned to defer the construction of the Morton Ranch ninth-grade center to the next bond election. The district had planned to build the Seven Lakes ninth-grade center after the main building, but it was able to save money by including the ninth-grade center in the bid for the main building. Seven Lakes is the first high school in Katy to have been built with the ninth-grade center from the beginning.

The developers in the Morton Ranch high school area stepped up production of homes leading to the current situation. At the time of the 2002 bond the district and the bond committee used the best demographic data available to decide which projects to include in the $315 million package.

You can find more information about the bond at www.katybondinfo.org.

• 2 months later...
The Katy Independent School District is conducting another Bond Program for 2006. The total cost for the package will be $269,472,225. 5 new schools will be built. There will be no High School built in the Package.

Esisting Facilities:

-Morton Ranch High School 9th grade center

-Mayde Creek High School natatorium

-Miller Career Center additions/renovations

-Opportunity Awareness Center & School of Choice additions/renovations

-roofing, mechanical/electrical/plumbing, carpet, brickwork, restroom refinishing, air conditioning, central

plant and other projects

-computer, server and network retrofits and upgrades

-campus security system

-campus visitor system

Total for existing facilities:................................. $125,319,723

What in Sam Hill is an "Opportunity Awareness Center"?!!? :lol: Is that where one goes to get an "opportunity" or a frickin' job?!?! What a bunch of hooey. All this political correctness makes me want to vomit. :wacko:

if you really wanted to know, its A school- where they send the kids who get kicked out of reg high school

getting caught with weed in your locker or being high as hell on pills or coke (Taylor) is the primary reason kids get sent there. and of course alcohol and fights (both equally awesome)

• 2 months later...
are you JOKING!?!?! :lol: That is the dumbest (if I can use that word) name I have ever heard. They called it "alternative school" when I was in high school--what they should have called it is "The place you go when you act like an a*s."

I wasn't acting like an ass!!! I just couldn't make it from lunch to Algebra 2 on time, and the teacher hated me and would do anything it took to make sure I was out of her class - including counting me tardy almost every day - after enough times being late, you get sent to A.C. (we called it alternative center.)

(this was confirmed by the principals, and I was moved from her class to another class even further away than her class, but my tardiness was no longer a problem)

I guess you can say I want to alternative school because the teacher was acting an ass, so I guess you're right - someone acts an ass, and a kid goes to AC...

but who cares what it's called? YOU don't have to be PC, but why is it a big deal to you if other people choose to be?

[/off topic]

If you get into a lot of fights, you get sent to OAC. If you get caught with drugs you get sent their too. It is for Junior High and High School kids. Right across the street from that school is another school called Miller Career Center. The school where you have to be real smart to get accepted into (to take some classes there).

• 2 weeks later...
are you JOKING!?!?! :lol: That is the dumbest (if I can use that word) name I have ever heard.

I always liked that name. It's where you go to become Aware of the Opportunity you lost. Or maybe Aware that you have this last Opportunity to avoid getting completely kicked to the curb. Everyone still calls it "A school," short for Alternative School, but I don't like that name at all. "A School" makes it sound like you do have to be smart to get there. Alternative School sounds like some kind of free-form, new age, do-your-own thing, study what you like school. Fun, in other words!

So should it be called School for Rule Breakers? No matter what it's called, everyone knows what it is.

• 4 months later...

If you notice on the Feb 2007 presentation, the location is in a "star" which indicated that land had not been purchased at the time (of the presention). That was a projected location Clay/Katy Hockley, not set in stone. The bond authorized the search for land and the district found the property they wanted. The board approved the purchase of 140-acres at the SW corner of Peek Rd and Stockdick School Rd.

Aug 27, 2007 meeting notes:

http://www.katyisd.org/services/board/meeting.htm

If you looked at the 2006 facilities study (no longer online), it should a future HS#9 in the Firethorn area with a "star", however, the district purchased property near Fulshear, and it was updated on the Feb 2007 study.

I just checked this location out on Mapquest. Is Keith Harrow Boulevard going to be extended to meet with Stockdick School Rd? They are actually not that far apart from each other. Keith Harrow is a major street through that part of Cypress/Katy.

Archived