Smartest to dumbest states

KimberlySayWhat

The 2006 award measures states based on factors including expenditures for instruction, pupil-teacher ratios, high school graduation and dropout rates, and reading, writing and math proficiency.

Expenditures for instruction? Policy correlated to political affiliation...so if more money spent is automatically translated to a 'smarter' state, regardless of how it is used, then yeah, I'd expect blue states to pull ahead in this measure. And pupil-teacher ratios are linked to the aforementioned expenditures, which means that to some extent, they're double-counting a variable.

The only things other than academic performance that should've been taken into account are adult educational attainment measures and IQ studies. Extraneous variables, used properly, do nothing to help a descriptive or predictive model. Used improperly, as I'd suggest is probably the case, they hurt it by a significant measure.

Texas behind Indiana? That's embarrassing...

I worked at a Ticketmaster call center up in Ohio one summer (early 90's). We took calls from Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia and Kentucky.

From my personal experience, the hayseeds up in Indiana made the hillbillies in WV and KY sound like absolute geniuses! (I was always surprised to get a phone call from West Virginia...I didn't know they had phones up in the backwoods of Appalachia!)