Shadow Creek Ranch

oddjob142

I have also heard, true or not, that HOA dues have gone up simply because not everyone is paying. So those that do pay have to make up for your neighbor that doesn't pay. Because the unfortunate thing is that the cost to prosecute someone for NOT paying can be considerable. And may or not be worth it. I've paid all 4 of my years and don't know of anyone who hasn't but it actually seems fairly logical to me. I for one would like to see a detailed breakdown of revenue/expenses. Because in my opinion, the number of houses increased far more than the amount of services in the last four years. Amount of landscaping is nearly the same. I think the 3rd rec facility opened about three years ago (and the fourth was supposed to be already open but hasn't started. So where is all the money going? I guess there was maybe some overtime to fix a few hundred trees after Ike but that's all I got. Doesn't the developer also get some of our MUD taxes (to then pay the city)? I realize it's paying for different things but the idea of the MUD tax is protect the developer and the city while spreading the burden to the taxpayers.

SCR is obviously in a recession - my builder is pulling out of our subdivision for at least 6 months after they finish four more homes. But I don't really believe that SCR is actually losing residents. It's gotta be going up, even if it's very slowly. But I don't think the costs should be rising... what has really been added in the last 3 years? If they were operating at a deficit all along well, then they must be related the federal government, I guess.

The SCR monthly financial statements are on the web site at http://www.shadowcreekranchhoa.com/. You have to be registered and login to view them.

I glanced at the statements for the Village of Biscayne Bay, which are there through October, though I don't really know how to read them. If I understand what I was seeing, there was an operating surplus. On the other hand, I know that a lot of the Ike was not covered by insurance (probably due to deductibles? or damaged trees?) and quite a few trees have not yet been replaced. I browsed around but did not see the 2009 budget. The notice of the assessments increase I received did include a pretty cryptic pie chart which was supposed to show how the money is spent, but it didn't really explain what the categories ("shared"??) meant or how they were broken down into tangible things.

There were about 80-100 SCR residents at the Crime Prevention meeting last night. A few other non-SCR people (like me) were there too. I wasn't able to tell if the attendees got what they needed out of the meeting, or not.

Channel 13 aired a small segment about the meeting last night at 10pm.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Shadow Creek Ranch

Archived