9118 Marlive Lane

flipper

This house has a great Los Angeles vibe. Love the reeded glass off the foyer in the living, gives a slight Craig Ellwood vibe, though only slight. And I know some of the purists out there will cringe at the baths, but I think if you are going to remodel the bath of an MCM, then this is a great look. Is this how much this area is going for now? It's crazy, if this house were a few blocks north on Braeswood it would probably be in the $400's and if it were a few blocks south in Willowbend it would maybe be in the $200's. I'm no real estate expert, but it seems that this area has drastic cost difference from one street to the next. Then again maybe this is normal?

I think if my wife sees this house we may have to move. She is a huge fan of the interior courtyard.

And, yeah I cringed a little at the bathroom, but it's not as bad as it could be. It looks pretty high end anyway. But that's why I'm a proponent of buying a house that needs repairing and doing it yourself. Still, an awesome house though. Any ideas on architect anyone?

As for the price, it is the asking price, not necessarily the sale price. All I have found is that 2 things will make the value higher in SW Houston. #1 is that it is in Bellaire High territory, which means nothing unless you have a kid. Strangely, a lot of the big MCM fans I know don't have kids. #2 is that it is INSIDE the loop. There has always been a bump in price based on that.

With this area right near the loop, you need to ask about flooding. A lot of Braeswood has been remuddled because of Allison. While there will probably not be another Allison, and the city is going the extra mile to dig more detention basins, you just never know.

This house has a great Los Angeles vibe. Love the reeded glass off the foyer in the living, gives a slight Craig Ellwood vibe, though only slight. And I know some of the purists out there will cringe at the baths, but I think if you are going to remodel the bath of an MCM, then this is a great look. Is this how much this area is going for now? It's crazy, if this house were a few blocks north on Braeswood it would probably be in the $400's and if it were a few blocks south in Willowbend it would maybe be in the $200's. I'm no real estate expert, but it seems that this area has drastic cost difference from one street to the next. Then again maybe this is normal?

Vanessa and I got over to this house between rains. It has some great things going for it.

#1 The landscaping is beautiful. There are mature palm trees and bamboo everywhere and the pool is very nice.

#2 It has some cool original features. It looks like a mix between the Herb Greene mod on Braeswood and Jenkins. The brick is original and unpainted even inside. There's a sunken formal living room and a cool entry closet that doubles as a room divider.

#3 The updates, though not my style, are top notch quality. It doesn't seem like they were trying to flip the house and they didn't skimp. The master bath and closet are redone and big like today's master bed and baths are.

The negatives - The 2nd bedroom's closet doesn't have doors, so it's strange. You can see all the clothes and racks. The laundry machine seems to be in a strange place, again with no hiding it, unless I missed the door to it and it was just open. Where there seemed to be sliding glass doors before they went with single panels, maybe to feel more secure and/or the old ones were broken so they went with an option they really liked. There was a distant noise in the whole outside area from 610. It was noisier than I expected outside, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the kind of noise we have (motorcycles, trucks, boom cars). Just goes to show that if you live in the city you are going to have some noise. You could hear it inside if you were listening for it.

Overall, I would rank this house very high. It's going to make someone very happy. The house deserves someone with mod taste.

Jason

Archived