Next Wave Of Homogenization?

tw2ntyse7en

According to an article in The Chicago Sun Times (May 24, 2002):"The Denver based Chipotle chain, acquired by McDonald's three years ago, is popular for its freshly made burritos and tacos."

Interesting article. As someone mentioned on another thread, McDonald's has considerable real estate holdings, albeit through a holding company called System Capital Corp. and its spin-off, Real Property Corp.

While we're making lists, McDonald's also owns Boston Market.

Best creamed spinach ever.

Hi, I'm the proud sponsor of the Houston anti-Chipotle campaign.  Please try Mission Burritos or Freebeards.  Far better selection, and they're not owned by McDonalds. 

I could see the Chipotle on Shepherd closing soon.  Last time I was there it was empty.  They actually have a sign out front that says, "We're Really Open!", so apparently business isn't great.

i have wanted to try mission burrito, but the sad fact is that i only know of one location. it is NOWHERE near me at lunch time. chipotle, for better or worse, has several (lots?) of locations.

when i am hungry, it's doubtful i will drive to river oaks (from westchase) for burritos.

Lake Charles, area population 180,000, I have visited that place so much that you could say I lived there. My whole side of my mother's family live there, but are moving to Houston because they say Lake Charles, "has nothing going on". I remember when Lake Charles got there Target at I-210@Nelson Road, that place was packed. Also that new Cinemark Movie Theater at the Prien Lake Mall. In a way, Lake Charles reminds me of a minature version of Houston.

i have wanted to try mission burrito, but the sad fact is that i only know of one location.  it is NOWHERE near me at lunch time.  chipotle, for better or worse, has several (lots?) of locations.

when i am hungry, it's doubtful i will drive to river oaks (from westchase) for burritos.

Isn't that exactly what we're bitching about here? If a place has locations all over the place that are convenient for lots of people to go to, then it's bad. Dining should be an arduous journey of trial-and-error, of people going into places they're unfamiliar and uncomfortable with, and driving hours and hours to eat at some place recommended by a friend.

Sorry -- I'm in Sarcastic Sid mode today.

Isn't that exactly what we're bitching about here?  If a place has locations all over the place that are convenient for lots of people to go to, then it's bad.  Dining should be an arduous journey of trial-and-error, of people going into places they're unfamiliar and uncomfortable with, and driving hours and hours to eat at some place recommended by a friend. 

Sorry -- I'm in Sarcastic Sid mode today.

yes, you are right. but when you only have 1 hour (or in many cases 30 minutes) for lunch, it is not practical to travel great distances.

i love finding new places to dine, but in houston, those experiences often are relagated to the weekend.

yes, you are right.  but when you only have 1 hour (or in many cases 30 minutes) for lunch, it is not practical to travel great distances.

i love finding new places to dine, but in houston, those experiences often are relagated to the weekend.

That's why I'm so fortunate that I work downtown. I'm constantly trying new stuff, whether it's in dt proper or Midtown. Hell, there are still places in Old Chinatown that I've yet to experience.

BTW, Stallone's has pretty good sandwiches (pizza's only okay). The staff is friendly, and so is the manager (I believe her name is Carol). The place could probably stand to be a bit bigger, as the midday crowds can overwhelm you if you're sitting or trying to walk from one end of the place to the other but otherwise, the setup's not bad.

That said, I still think Firehouse Philly's has a better cheesesteak.