Bear Creek Real Estate

reddog

I am curious what everyone thinks of this area. I am a first time home buyer who has lived in Houston for quite some time, but am not familiar with Bear Creek at all. I have lived in Sugar Land and really enjoyed it. I am now in an apartment in Westchase and like the area a lot.

I have a newborn and a better half to worry about, so crime, schools, emergency access is a concern. I was looking in Katy, but I think it is just too far away from everything. I am looking to spend 100K-120K and have seen some pretty decent homes online.

One thing that concerns me, is how many homes are for sale in Glencarin, Bear Creek, and surrounding areas. Should I worry about this? How does everyone feel about this area?

Let me add, I want to live in the home for 5-7 years, and want to make a sound investment opposed to just getting in and out of a house. I plan on keeping this as a rental after moving out.

Thanks for any help!

Howdy possible neighbor. I just moved into Bear Creek. I can honestly say it is a great place to live thus far. Only been here 2 weeks. My suggestion is finding a place that is in the back part, closer to the reservoir part, it is very very quiet at night. I have never seen a neighborhood that has more people out in the front yards and jogging around , and kids playing. I probably have to wave to 20 people in the morning as I drive by, that's just me, and they all wave back. Friendly, friendly people. There are plenty of homes to choose, and the price is right, and the taxes are low. Check it out. I am not regretting one thing about my move.

Thanks for the reply. I just drove through there last night to check out the neighborhood, and it blew my mind how many families were outside playing, jogging, or talking to neighbors.

I'm tellin' ya. I live toward the back, so I have to circumnavigate the whole neighborhood. You HAVE to drive slow because there are so many people out enjoying the place. Mature trees, low noise factor, it is just NICE ! I whole heartedly believe you would like it here. I forgot to tell you that I have a 4yr.old and a 4 month old, that elementary is supposed to be very good also, that was another factor for me.

I am curious what everyone thinks of this area. I am a first time home buyer who has lived in Houston for quite some time, but am not familiar with Bear Creek at all. I have lived in Sugar Land and really enjoyed it. I am now in an apartment in Westchase and like the area a lot.

I have a newborn and a better half to worry about, so crime, schools, emergency access is a concern. I was looking in Katy, but I think it is just too far away from everything. I am looking to spend 100K-120K and have seen some pretty decent homes online.

One thing that concerns me, is how many homes are for sale in Glencarin, Bear Creek, and surrounding areas. Should I worry about this? How does everyone feel about this area?

Let me add, I want to live in the home for 5-7 years, and want to make a sound investment opposed to just getting in and out of a house. I plan on keeping this as a rental after moving out.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Reddog,

Since we just put an offer on a home in the area I would highly recommend that you go to the area at 7:00 a.m. on any given morning and attempt to get to work by 8:00 a.m. Regardless of where you work, the experience will speak for itself !

Hi Reddog,

Since we just put an offer on a home in the area I would highly recommend that you go to the area at 7:00 a.m. on any given morning and attempt to get to work by 8:00 a.m. Regardless of where you work, the experience will speak for itself !

I tried that last week. I currently live at Westheimer and Kirkwood, and on the way to Bear Creek, I got stuck behind a broken down vehicle, so it actually took me longer to get to there than once I left for work. I work at Westheimer and 8, so I am really spoiled where I live now.

I am still in awe about the amount of people that spend time outside, I think it is amazing, and just put an offer on a home on Friday, and it was accepted today!

Thanks for the reply

I tried that last week. I currently live at Westheimer and Kirkwood, and on the way to Bear Creek, I got stuck behind a broken down vehicle, so it actually took me longer to get to there than once I left for work. I work at Westheimer and 8, so I am really spoiled where I live now.

I am still in awe about the amount of people that spend time outside, I think it is amazing, and just put an offer on a home on Friday, and it was accepted today!

Thanks for the reply

Howdy Neighbor !

• 2 weeks later...

How does everyone feel about this area? Thanks for any help!

I've lived in Coppefield Westcreek Village for 18 years. It's the neighborhood near the intersection of Hwy 529 and Barker-Cypress, behind Langham Creek High School. It's a great area. The schools are great, there's plenty of shopping areas, and we've never flooded. Even during Tropical Storm Allison.

My only complaint may sound weird, but it's TOO desirable as a place to live. The infrastructure has not kept up with the growth.

Traffic is an unmitigated nightmare, especially on weekends, and on weekdays for those who drive into Houston to work, because there is no quick way to get out of the Bear Creek area during rush hour.

There's Highway 6 north and south, there's Barker Cypress north and south, there's West Little York going east, Hwy 529 going east, AND THAT'S IT. All those roads are jammed full every morning. Forget about getting to work or school in a hurry. If you can endure the commuter traffic, you'll like living out here.

One thing I like about Bear Creek are those crazy late 70s-early 80s contemporary style homes. I suppose that style evolved out of pure boredom with the ranch house, which had endured mostly unchanged for 40 years or so by then. The oddball angles and cathedral ceilings will one day be quite the historic statement, I believe.

It sounds like the place has residents who take pride in their neighborhood. The problem these days is that everyone only wants to stay "5 years" so neighborhoods are in constant flux. Hopefully it can avoid a major down cycle and end up being a cool, historic Inner Parkway hot spot in 50 years.

These are the Katy ISD schools that several Bear Creek subdivisions are zoned to:

Bear Creek Northwest, Bear Creek Trails, and Bear Creek Village are zoned to Bear Creek Elementary School ( http://schools.katyisd.org/Portal/Default....&campus=bce ).

Bear Creek West is zoned to Wolfe Elementary School ( http://kisdwebs2.katyisd.org/katywebs/Defa...elementary/2515 ).

All subdivisions with "Bear Creek" in them are zoned to Mayde Creek Junior High School ( http://schools.katyisd.org/Portal/Default....amp;campus=mcjh ) and Mayde Creek High School ( http://schools.katyisd.org/Portal/Default....amp;campus=mchs ).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all of the info. We just won a bid on a house in bear creek village. If all goes well should be moved in sometime in Nov.

We are really excited, as we have really fallen for this area.

Hmmm are you the one that got that awesome house on B. Hill with the huge yard before I even got a chance to look at it? :angry2:

Hmmm are you the one that got that awesome house on B. Hill with the huge yard before I even got a chance to look at it? :angry2:

There was a house on Blueberry Hill with a huge yard ? All we saw were tiny ones when we looked on that street. They were really nice houses though. Mumbles, did you find something in BC ?

Thanks for all of the info. We just won a bid on a house in bear creek village. If all goes well should be moved in sometime in Nov.

We are really excited, as we have really fallen for this area.

Congrats neighbor.

There was a house on Blueberry Hill with a huge yard ? All we saw were tiny ones when we looked on that street. They were really nice houses though. Mumbles, did you find something in BC ?

Congrats neighbor.

I have been looking over there as well as a few other places. I have decided that is where I am moving to. Just waiting to find the right house. There is a new on on Laurel Heights just came up on the MLS, no pics yet. Looked at it last night. 14000 sq ft yard. Really really nice. Too much house and yard for me though. Want to find one of the small homes about 1600 sq ft.

I am currently out by Fry and Clay road so B C will be a bit closer to work for me.

The B. Hill house, check out the yard pics.

http://www.har.com/6594826

I have been looking over there as well as a few other places. I have decided that is where I am moving to. Just waiting to find the right house. There is a new on on Laurel Heights just came up on the MLS, no pics yet. Looked at it last night. 14000 sq ft yard. Really really nice. Too much house and yard for me though. Want to find one of the small homes about 1600 sq ft.

I am currently out by Fry and Clay road so B C will be a bit closer to work for me.

The B. Hill house, check out the yard pics.

http://www.har.com/6594826

Tjones and the rest of you living there; if a lot of those lots are large like that, and if you don't already have them, you might want to get deed restrictions in place that would prohibit huge homes large lots in desired areas lead to McMansions and it would be a shame to see those homes get erased years from now.

Of course, it sounds like it's one of those "in-between" neighborhoods where no one there now will be around in 5 years so a deed restriction campaign to preserve the architecture might not generate much interest at this point.

Tjones and the rest of you living there; if a lot of those lots are large like that, and if you don't already have them, you might want to get deed restrictions in place that would prohibit huge homes large lots in desired areas lead to McMansions and it would be a shame to see those homes get erased years from now.

Of course, it sounds like it's one of those "in-between" neighborhoods where no one there now will be around in 5 years so a deed restriction campaign to preserve the architecture might not generate much interest at this point.

Most lots are small, just a few large ones on the culdesacs. Not to worry they have a homeowners association with plenty of deed restrictions.

Too late Danax, those restrictions were put in place back when the subdivision was created. You can only have up to a certain size house on any given property. These HUGE yards are very rare in this subdivision. Especially on B.Hill, that's why I was amazed. Normal lot size is between 7500 to 9000 sq.ft. Some peppering of 10k to 12k though.

• 1 month later...

I have lived in Bear Creek for the past 18 years. I am looking to move out further west since my children are grown now. I have a 4 bdrm 2 1/2 bath one story (2300 sq ft). I would say the house is in good condition inside and out. Corner lot, so lots of front and side yard. Includes 2 yr old a/c and heat. How can I find out what a reasonable starting price would be? We had moved here bc it was close to where dh worked at the time and we really liked the Katy schools. We will be "downsizing" since it will be just the two of us. Thanks for any info.

• 1 month later...

Call a real estate agent and have them print you out a CMA of all the homes recently sold in your area.

I have lived in Bear Creek for the past 18 years. I am looking to move out further west since my children are grown now. I have a 4 bdrm 2 1/2 bath one story (2300 sq ft). I would say the house is in good condition inside and out. Corner lot, so lots of front and side yard. Includes 2 yr old a/c and heat. How can I find out what a reasonable starting price would be? We had moved here bc it was close to where dh worked at the time and we really liked the Katy schools. We will be "downsizing" since it will be just the two of us. Thanks for any info.

• The title was changed to Bear Creek Real Estate

Archived