Civil Engineer Vs.Architect

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

What is the difference between a Civil Engineer and an Architect. Believe it or not there is one. I've heard that the engineer does the internal structural work while the architect does outer exterior worl. Is this true to any extent?

Short answer: A civil engineer is trained in the areas of stress analysis, static design (interaction of non-moving things) with less regards to asthetic concerns. A CE is first and foremost an Engineer and is often a PE (Professional Engineer who has passed their EIT exam and has apprenticed for several years to achieve their state registration). Many go on to working for state and government agencies, especially like TxDOT where bridge and road building is heavily involved. Others may work in private industry doing public works-type projects. I'm sure there is a CE on this board who can expand on what I wrote.

I won't go into an architect since I'm assuming you have an idea what they do.

What is the difference between a Civil Engineer and an Architect. Believe it or not there is one....

Learn to use a dictionary / wikipedia / google / brain...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_engineering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_engineer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architect

Most civil engineering today deals with power plants, bridges, roads, railways, structures (for building construction), water supply, irrigation, environment, sewer, flood control and traffic. In essence, civil engineering may be regarded as the profession that makes the world a more agreeable place in which to live.

An architect is a person involved in the planning, designing and oversight of a building's construction.

For building construction, a civil engineer is just one of many entities that work under an architect as a team to realize an owner's dream.

Civil Engineers do everything that gets a site ready to build a building, and many of the things that happen inside the building.

Civil Engineers take a piece of property, find a way to get water and sewer service to it, solve its drainage problems (designing detention and working around floodplains), design internal water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer and paving improvements, and final grading of the site. Folks associated with the engineer (planners and surveyors) do everything from land title surveys, topographic surveys, land planning, platting. Engineer uses the surveys to design the improvements and create construction drawings and technical specs for a contractor to build the improvements. Surveyor provides construction staking, and the engineer usually provides construction management. Surveyor prepares as-built drawings, engineer gets utilities, paving, detention basins, etc. accepted for maintenance by the appropriate government agencies.

Then the architects come in, try to change everything that's already in concrete, revise plans about 17 times (without paying the engineer for the required revisions), and then end up putting the building in the wrong place.

The engineer fixes everything, takes all the blame, and gets none of the reward.

:P

The bad Engineers usually build crap. mostly for the government.

Either that, or golf courses.

And that is why I switch my major during my freshmen year from civil to mechanical, so I can avoid government job and stick with private companies.