Genji.

This Japanese/Korean karaoke/cafe was once located in the furniture district on Fondren, close to Westheimer. My wife and I went there a couple of times for sushi, a bento box and the vibe.

It was just a cool but unpublicized place to go spend an early part of your Friday or Saturday.

Packed with Koreans and Japanese, it offered a real international vibe. It was even friendly to a Filipino-American couple such as ourselves. The waitress was a real babe. I kinda enjoyed how I was pointing to stuff on the English side of the menu, then she reversed it so she could get a handle on our order on the Japanese side of it.

One time, a group of white kids, grunge slackers, even came in out of curiosity or a drink or some reason. They spoke with the hostess but they wound up moving on. It was apparent they were not even 18.

This back in the late 90s. But Genji moved to Westheimer somewhere not far from Fountainview, larger storefront it looks like.

I wonder how it is there?

Edited by worldlyman

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto

Ive been there a couple of times since they relocated a few years back, and it was ok. The place isnt very well ventilated so the smoke just hangs there. The place is kind of run down, but alot of my friends love it.