Spanish Colonia/Mediterranean Homes

Pathfinder

I may buy a house with a "Spanish Style" looking. The house faces north (on a east-west stree), but without one single window facing north (i.e. no window at the front side of the house). I like the inside of the house very much, but not so sure of the style. Plus, all bedrooms are due west. I was told that this is a "Spanish Style". Is it correct? I'm afraid that when it comes to selling, it may not be attractive to a lot of people. What do you all think? I've seen a lot of such style houses in Texas. Are they normally tough to sell?

Edited by Pathfinder

I may buy a house with a "Spanish Style" looking. The house faces north (on a east-west stree), but without one single window facing north (i.e. no window at the front side of the house). I like the inside of the house very much, but not so sure of the style. Plus, all bedrooms are due west. I was told that this is a "Spanish Style". Is it correct? I'm afraid that when it comes to selling, it may not be attractive to a lot of people. What do you all think? I've seen a lot of such style houses in Texas. Are they normally tough to sell?

where is it?

Spanish and Medeterranian styles are in for the moment, but I speculate that in 10 years they'll very easily date the house. As neighborhoods that are new today begin to look stale, people will start associating the style with tired-looking homes.

Having said that, I also think that if you're looking at one that is in a very upscale neighborhood, other factors can come into play and offset the perception of a neighborhood having become tired.

Holy hell.. that "Master Bath" is atrocious. The rest of the interior looks pretty nice though.

I wouldnt call that spanish style... its just a ranch home that is oriented and laid out in an interesting way.

I think it borrows some elements from the spanish style.. mainly the sorrta exterior courtyard set up and the arches.. but a true spanish style wouldnt have shingle roof or use predeominately brick, I don't believe.

Edited by Highway6

Holy hell.. that "Master Bath" is atrocious. The rest of the interior looks pretty nice though.

I wouldnt call that spanish style... its just a ranch home that is oriented and laid out in an interesting way.

I think it borrows some elements from the spanish style.. mainly the sorrta exterior courtyard set up and the arches.. but a true spanish style wouldnt have shingle roof or use predeominately brick, I don't believe.

hr1629466-11.jpg

jiminy! :o

the master bath did make me jump but the rest could be a real vintage looker.

that place has much potential.

Edited by torvald

The asking price seems high. It's misleading to list the square footage as 5100, since it is less than 4000 on HCAD. The quarters/whatever may be nice, but most square footage is not created equal.

A per sqft comparison will be misleading since this place's lot is smaller than most in the neighborhood. I'd guess that fair value is somewhere closer to $300K, unless the place really is spectacular.

Cool place, though. I like the sprawling ranch-style homes. I own one built in 1952, but it is hardly sprawling. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

I love the architecture of spanish/mediterranean homes. I've been looking for most part in vain to find homes like this (actual houses not patio homes). I've finallly found a neighborhood that has a great number of homes like this in Meadows Place. Just wondering if anyone else knows where I could find these types of homes around Houston. Or if someone knows of a MLS service online that allows for searching by architecture type.

I love the architecture of Spanish/mediterranean homes. I've been looking for most part in vain to find homes like this (actual houses not patio homes). I've finallly found a neighborhood that has a great number of homes like this in Meadows Place. Just wondering if anyone else knows where I could find these types of homes around Houston. Or if someone knows of a MLS service online that allows for searching by architecture type.

Over in the Seabrook area or near the Kemah Boardwalk. There are several new communities that sport that lovely architecture/design. However, they are very pricey. Very reminicent of San Diego or older Los Angeles styles.

You will find some inside the loop over by Sunset Boulevard near the Medical Center. These are more like the old mansions movie stars used to live in back in the 1920's. Just too cool to describe. River Oaks also has some grand originals. Take a slow cruise through the area, you won't be disappointed. :D

• The title was changed to Spanish Colonia/Mediterranean Homes