Does anyone have any experience with mosquito control systems? We are interested in utilizing some type of system, but so far have been a little blown away by the expense.

They must work since Houston started doing it, I have not heard much about West Nile or anything news worthy.

More of a general statement, I think the city does my area around the bayous in West Loop.

I think (s)he may be referring to a backyard solution, not the city's spraying.

I got a bottle of that yard spray for mosquitos I've yet to try. When I was recently looking at houses to buy one of them had a system installed. It seemed relitively simple, like a water mister around the yard. I've no idea what they cost but would like to know as well. :)

I think (s)he may be referring to a backyard solution, not the city's spraying.

I got a bottle of that yard spray for mosquitos I've yet to try. When I was recently looking at houses to buy one of them had a system installed. It seemed relitively simple, like a water mister around the yard. I've no idea what they cost but would like to know as well. :)

My bad.

I'd try those tiki torches too, they create a nice ambiance and the smoke discourages them.

foggers can be quite noxious/stinky - i have had a little luck with citronella, and i hear that using other oils like lemongrass, clove or geranium (not sure in what volume) might work.

also, planting society garlic folklorically works, but i personally have never noticed it, and it does smell pretty bad :blush:

We looked at the "Spider be Gone" system last year which control mosquitos as well and it was over $2000. Price is dependent on number of spray heads. I do know that it is possible to install yourself and save considerably. It is just a pump with timer that plugs into normal outlet, 55 gallon barrel, tubing, and spray heads that you either mount on your house or fence. Do a web search. I believe there are several dealers in Houston that will sell the equipment to the consumer.

The pest control guy I talked to said you can used orange oil and garlic in the mosquito systems.

I've tried "naturally" preventing mosquitos by planting scented geraniums and wormwood near our patio table. It does no good whatsoever. I can rub crushed geranium leaves all over my ankles and there will still be 4 or 5 mosquitos attached to my leg within seconds.

The mosquitoes in Houston are tough birds! I have to bathe in that new sweat control stuff to even have a slight hope that they will stay away from me! The regular kind seems to make them just laugh...

I wouldn't hold any trust in any system to really keep them away, I think it is just part of living in Houston.

Someone mentioned spiders though, I just moved to the Heights a year ago, and I have LOTS of spiders! Is that just part of living in the Heights? I never had a problem with them in the Montrose or 6th ward...

A buddy of mine's girlfriend uses one of those mosquito gas traps that run on propane. She doesn't live here, but does have a pool and would otherwise have a problem with mosquitos. Anyway, she swears by the thing, says it makes a huge difference. But, not only does she have one, but the neighbors next to, behind, and catty corner to her all have one as well. That may have something to do with it as well.

A buddy of mine's girlfriend uses one of those mosquito gas traps that run on propane. She doesn't live here, but does have a pool and would otherwise have a problem with mosquitos. Anyway, she swears by the thing, says it makes a huge difference. But, not only does she have one, but the neighbors next to, behind, and catty corner to her all have one as well. That may have something to do with it as well.

does she run it before they go outside or while she is outside - as an "attractor"?

just wondering if it okay to constantly breath it.

does she run it before they go outside or while she is outside - as an "attractor"?

just wondering if it okay to constantly breath it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that, if they are going to be having people over or planning to be outside later in the week, they turn it on and let it run for a couple days. Then, I think the shut it off when they are actually outside. At least that's how I remember him explaining it.

I have one of the mosquito misting systems in my yard. It works unbelievably well...but, it was expensive. However, being able to sit outside every single night without a getting chewed alive is worth it. I have some friends who have the same system, and they swear by it as well.

The system works by misting out an insecticide through a series of nozzles that are either on my fence or on copper tubes sticking out of the ground (around the shrubs). It goes off once in the morning, and then twice at night (for 30 seconds). There is also a remote control you can use to set it off. If I'm outside and see a mosquito, I'll hit the remote, otherwise I just let go off on its program.

I did quite a bit of research on these systems before I bought one. There are 3 types of chemicals that are used: natural inseciticides, synthetic insecticides, and herbal stuff (garlic, orange) that act as repellents.

The natural insecticide is called pyrethren and is made from chrysanthemums. Supposedly, it biodegrades within two hours of application. The theory at least is that if you only spray it at dawn and dusk, when the mosquitos are active, the stuff will degrade by the time beneficial bugs like bees and butterflies show up.

There is also a synthetic version of pyrethren. This is what the mosquito trucks spray. The synthetic though leaves a residue that is potent for like two weeks. It is more effective, but it seems like overkill, and I wasn't a big fan of having the residue, which potentially would kill the butterflies. Also, since it is synthetic, there are some sources that claim it will cause resistance in your mosquitoes.

The other type of chemicals you can use are the garlic oils and such that act as repellents, but from what I read they really don't work in most situations.

I have the pyrethren (the natural insecticide) in mine; works great. My system is made by "Mistaway", and it cost about $2500 installed. The system is hooked up to a water faucet, and I just buy cartridges of the concentrate pyrethren that you snap into the machine. The cartridges cost $125 and last about 3 months. (Obviously, you don't really need to use it in the winter).

Edited by cwrm4