Tiki In Houston

roym

Always a pleasure to resurrect an old topic.

From CultureMap:

Houston finally gets its own tiki bar: Are you ready for a tropical escape in a strip mall? Houston may have thousands of places to get a drink, but, until about three weeks ago, none of them were tiki bars. Sure, a spot likeUnder the Volcano may have a somewhat tropical decor andVoodoo Queen offers the right form of booze-heavy, rum-oriented cocktails, but no place else brings tiki together like newly opened Lei Low. (CultureMap first previewed the bar's offerings last June.)

Located in a 1,200 square-foot strip mall space next to a tax preparer's office and a quickie mart along an under construction stretch of North Main, Lei Low probably doesn't strike passers-by as Houston's newest can't miss cocktail spot, but the full (admittedly small) parking lot offers some indication that good things are happening inside.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-25-14-houston-finally-gets-its-own-tiki-bar-are-you-ready-for-a-tropical-escape-in-a-strip-mall/

In the 1960's I spent three years in Hawaii courtesy of the US Air Force. It was great duty and I can't believe after three years that they actually sent me back to the CONUS. While there I frequented many of the Polynesian Theme watering holes. I once had the chance to ride a horse named Trader Vic. Ole Trader Vic decided he no longer wanted me on his back and promptly threw me off. Nothing broken but I did suffer a few bumps and bruises. Our friendship quickly parted after that.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Howdy folks! I am in the early stages of researching for a book on the history of tiki in Texas. I'm looking for information, photos (oh! The photos that appear to have been posted here that are no longer active!) ephemera--I'm casting a wide net. Houston had a wealth of locations mentioned in the thread above--Trader Vic's, Don the Beachcomber's, Dobbs House Luau, Club Bali Hai, Poly-Asian... There's so much history in danger of being lost, and I hope some of you good folks can help me recover it before it's too late. Thanks!

• The title was changed to Tiki In Houston