Housing Search

karlpopper

O.k. guys and girls. My wife and I have reached our subdivision search tolerance level. We are not from houston so this has been a daunting if not frutile effort. We are transplants and have been living here for 4-years ! We still have no idea where we want to live because we are workaholics and have only seen daylight 3-4 times since we have been here. I travel 90% of the time and yes I am a platinum member at most airlines. the only houstonians I know are the baggage sreeners at the airport.

our kids are in and will remain in private school so school district is not an issue from a lifestyle point of view. So we could live anywhere in the houston area. Ideally an area which is about equal distance from downtown, galleria and energy corridor areas. So, no more than a 30-40 minute commute from these areas at rush hour.

We are looking for the following in the home....

3-4 bedrooms

2-3 bathrooms

Home size: 2500 - 3500 sq. ft

exterior elevation (curb appeal is very important): We love all things "kickerillo" (i have seen mixed reviews on them)

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...mp;backButton=Y

House features: All brick no hardi-plank is preferable; detached garage preferred

Lot size: min: 6000 sq ft with good size yard; no pool required

Subdivision: front setbacks and good distance between homes is important (see twin lakes); mature large trees; open firendly neighbors (the anti-cinco ranch); we like ethnic diversity

So the question becomes if you had $300,000 cash (i.e., no mortgage payments) and therefore you wanted to make sure the values would hold up with that much cash in the home where would you buy such a house described above ?

What subdivisions should we focus our efforts on ! Help needed ! (please no montrose or east end bungalow suggestions).

How do you feel about Sugar Land's First Colony/Sweetwater area? The streets are oak-lined. The area is nice. It's diverse. Plus, there are things to do for you and your kids. Since they widened 59 the drive isn't too bad during rush hour. It basically meets all of your criteria but I don't know if Kickerillo did anything in First Colony. There are many neighborhoods within First Colony so you'll need to look in the Sugar Land thread for a list of specific neighborhoods. You need the specific neighborhood names to do a HAR search.

Edited by blocked writer

O.k. guys and girls. My wife and I have reached our subdivision search tolerance level. We are not from houston so this has been a daunting if not frutile effort. We are transplants and have been living here for 4-years ! We still have no idea where we want to live because we are workaholics and have only seen daylight 3-4 times since we have been here. I travel 90% of the time and yes I am a platinum member at most airlines. the only houstonians I know are the baggage sreeners at the airport.

our kids are in and will remain in private school so school district is not an issue from a lifestyle point of view. So we could live anywhere in the houston area. Ideally an area which is about equal distance from downtown, galleria and energy corridor areas. So, no more than a 30-40 minute commute from these areas at rush hour.

3-4 bedrooms

2-3 bathrooms

exterior elevation (curb appeal is very important): We love all things "kickerillo" (i have seen mixed reviews on them)

House features: All brick no hardi-plank is preferable; detached garage preferred

Subdivision: front setbacks and good distance between homes is important (see twin lakes); mature large trees; open firendly neighbors (the anti-cinco ranch); we like ethnic diversity

So the question becomes if you had $300,000 cash (i.e., no mortgage payments) and therefore you wanted to make sure the values would hold up with that much cash in the home where would you buy such a house described above ?

What subdivisions should we focus our efforts on ! Help needed ! (please no montrose or east end bungalow suggestions).

Try Garden Oaks. I think that you could get a good solid home of the right size, with great curb appeal, and on a lot larger than you'd specified. Also, its just north of the Loop, so access is easy not only to Downtown, Galleria/Post Oak area, and the Energy Corridor, but it is also relatively easy to get to IAH.

If you like all things Kickerillo, then I would suggest sticking with a Kickerillo neighborhood.

Kelliwood (and all villages pertaining to)

Lakes on Eldridge (North as well)

Twin Lakes

Lakes on the Parkway

Here are some examples:

Lakes on Eldridge

Villages at Lakepointe (beautiful home, a little higher than you asked, but great neighborhood, though not Kickerillo--a lot like it)

Twin Lakes

Kelliwood

Green Trails (Park, Estates, etc) is a wonderful Kickerillo-type community that is a gem of a neighborhood just south of I-10 at Barker-Cypress. The home values have maintained beautifully and continue to go up. I highly recommend checking it out if you get a chance. I-10 is already complete out that way and is ahead of schedule for the closer segments--when it is all finished, it is going to be amazing, so it is a good time to get in on the west side. The Park-n-Ride at Kingsland and/or Hwy 6 are easy commutes to downtown, on the HOV, and take 25-30 minutes on an average day. Drive time might be a little different, depending on the time you leave.

Good luck with your search!! I totally understand your frustration... :) The Houston housing market is HUGE and can be very confusing. Sometimes everything starts looking the same after a while ;)

Edited by Parrothead

If you like all things Kickerillo, then I would suggest sticking with a Kickerillo neighborhood.

Kelliwood (and all villages pertaining to)

Lakes on Eldridge (North as well)

Twin Lakes

Lakes on the Parkway

Here are some examples:

Lakes on Eldridge

Villages at Lakepointe (beautiful home, a little higher than you asked, but great neighborhood, though not Kickerillo--a lot like it)

Twin Lakes

Kelliwood

Green Trails (Park, Estates, etc) is a wonderful Kickerillo-type community that is a gem of a neighborhood just south of I-10 at Barker-Cypress. The home values have maintained beautifully and continue to go up. I highly recommend checking it out if you get a chance. I-10 is already complete out that way and is ahead of schedule for the closer segments--when it is all finished, it is going to be amazing, so it is a good time to get in on the west side. The Park-n-Ride at Kingsland and/or Hwy 6 are easy commutes to downtown, on the HOV, and take 25-30 minutes on an average day. Drive time might be a little different, depending on the time you leave.

Good luck with your search!! I totally understand your frustration... :) The Houston housing market is HUGE and can be very confusing. Sometimes everything starts looking the same after a while ;)

Hi Parrot,

Are you a realtor? you can't be because you are too competent. You nailed all the requirements down to the duck laddened lake as part of the backyard view.

What else can you tell me about villages at lakepoint ! I have heard horror stories about the 290 freeway so I was told to stay away from cypress. Should I be worried !

What about the woodlands ? Is it really utopia deep in the heart of texas !

Try Garden Oaks. I think that you could get a good solid home of the right size, with great curb appeal, and on a lot larger than you'd specified. Also, its just north of the Loop, so access is easy not only to Downtown, Galleria/Post Oak area, and the Energy Corridor, but it is also relatively easy to get to IAH.

Hi Niche,

The homes in garden oaks are way to old for our taste "1940's", but the lot sizes are magnificent. Any other suggestions ! We value your opinion very much. we have read a lot of your outstanding posts on the different forums here.

Thanks !

Hi Niche,

The homes in garden oaks are way to old for our taste "1940's", but the lot sizes are magnificent. Any other suggestions ! We value your opinion very much. we have read a lot of your outstanding posts on the different forums here.

Thanks !

Thanks for the compliment! :blush: I only hope that I can live up to my reputation...

You might be able to find new construction in Oak Forest or the Spring Branch area that fits your criteria and that is still very well located. Not sure about curb appeal, though, at $300k. Negotiate as best you can.

If you'd prefer to be in a new subdivision, then I'll defer to Parrot. She's probably got a far superior understanding what's going on out there.

Niche, LOL... :lol: It's how I have been feeling today with my computer. So frustrating sometimes!! :wacko:

karl, I appreciate the compliment. Yes, I am a Realtor (we're kind of like lawyers--most of us are professionals, but there's a few that scare people away from the lot of us ;) ). I have a passion for great houses and great subdivisions--"Kickerillos" being no exception. I live here on the West side and work over here as well out of our Memorial office. I've lived in Houston all of my life, and am very familiar with most every neighborhood.

None of the subdivisions I mentioned would require you to step foot on 290. Unfortunately, HAR categorizes market areas strangely. Villages at Lakepointe is at W. Little York and Eldridge--a short drive to I-10 and a short drive to the Addicks Park-n-Ride, which I HIGHLY recommend (no driving and a nice plush commuter bus...it's a good thing...now if Metro could just go Wi-Fi LOL!).

Villages at Lakepointe (as well as Lakes on Eldridge) is a Ryko development--they and Kickerillo have similar ideals of what a nice subdivision should be. It is not gated like some of the ones I wrote of, but it is directly across from Lakes of Eldridge North ($$$$$) and is well-established for such a young neighborhood. They closed out in 2003. Most of the homes are David Powers or Emerald, both very good builders who include a lot of the little "extras" in the homes to seperate them from traditional production-style homes (tile mosaics, glass-front cabinetry, large covered patios, etc). You should definitely take a drive out there sometime. It is close to Twin Lakes as well, so if you know that area, you know where you are going.

The Woodlands is FABULOUS--but further than the area of west Houston to which I am referring. They have their own Park-n-Ride system called The Woodlands Express run by Brazos Valley Transit. It is also a great system and super easy to use. Drive time varies, sometimes as short as 35 minutes to downtown, but rush hour is going to give you an hour or more, depending on traffic. If you do not like sitting in your car at a standstill for minutes at a time (as is the case at 6:00pm on the on-ramp to Woodlands Parkway) it might not be the place for you. I am very familiar with The Woodlands, so please let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Glad to help--there are TONS of helpful people on this board, and most are super friendly. :)

Edited by Parrothead

3-4 bedrooms

2-3 bathrooms

Check this out. What do you think?

http://www.grandlakes.com/

You might try looking at one of Kickerillo's original developments, the area between Memorial and Buffalo Bayou around Dairy Ashford. The trees are stunning, great access to the bayou park, property values are pretty well established, and you'd be a bit closer in to town than Eldridge way. When you get back into the area, there are even some creeks and I think a pond or two. Really lovely area.

Check this out. What do you think?

http://www.grandlakes.com/

Hi KatyGuy,

My wife and I rented a home in cinco ranch in katy to see if we would like it. We now refer to ourselves as "katy refugees" whenever we talk about the place. My wife actually breaks out in hives whenever someone brings up the idea of living in "katy". It is the most sterile and inhospital place we have ever lived.

And the only thing could attribute it to was what we call the "los angeles effect", which is essentially the result of what happens to people when they have to commute on congestioned freeways and streets for more than 40 minutes one way. By the time they get home they are so pissed-off and irritated they just want to take the dog out into the backyard and beat him to relieve the stress. So interpesonal communications is out of the question. And so the neighbors in our subdivision did not speak to each other ever. No block parties, no block dinners, no attending the kids birthday parties and if you are in street when they round the cul-de-sac corner (at about 40-mph) coming home from work they will run you down.

This behaivor could have also been attributed to other events such as the property tax bill shock, yard maintenance fatigue, katy ISD trailer classroom proliferation, the dissemation of the dream that the westpark tollway would be ease the commute, the mosquito infestation from the massive man-made bayou's, the lack of mature trees for shading of body and house and last but not least the reliant energy monthly bill.

Niche, LOL... :lol: It's how I have been feeling today with my computer. So frustrating sometimes!! :wacko:

karl, I appreciate the compliment. Yes, I am a Realtor (we're kind of like lawyers--most of us are professionals, but there's a few that scare people away from the lot of us ;) ). I have a passion for great houses and great subdivisions--"Kickerillos" being no exception. I live here on the West side and work over here as well out of our Memorial office. I've lived in Houston all of my life, and am very familiar with most every neighborhood.

None of the subdivisions I mentioned would require you to step foot on 290. Unfortunately, HAR categorizes market areas strangely. Villages at Lakepointe is at W. Little York and Eldridge--a short drive to I-10 and a short drive to the Addicks Park-n-Ride, which I HIGHLY recommend (no driving and a nice plush commuter bus...it's a good thing...now if Metro could just go Wi-Fi LOL!).

Villages at Lakepointe (as well as Lakes on Eldridge) is a Ryko development--they and Kickerillo have similar ideals of what a nice subdivision should be. It is not gated like some of the ones I wrote of, but it is directly across from Lakes of Eldridge North ($$$$$) and is well-established for such a young neighborhood. They closed out in 2003. Most of the homes are David Powers or Emerald, both very good builders who include a lot of the little "extras" in the homes to seperate them from traditional production-style homes (tile mosaics, glass-front cabinetry, large covered patios, etc). You should definitely take a drive out there sometime. It is close to Twin Lakes as well, so if you know that area, you know where you are going.

The Woodlands is FABULOUS--but further than the area of west Houston to which I am referring. They have their own Park-n-Ride system called The Woodlands Express run by Brazos Valley Transit. It is also a great system and super easy to use. Drive time varies, sometimes as short as 35 minutes to downtown, but rush hour is going to give you an hour or more, depending on traffic. If you do not like sitting in your car at a standstill for minutes at a time (as is the case at 6:00pm on the on-ramp to Woodlands Parkway) it might not be the place for you. I am very familiar with The Woodlands, so please let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Glad to help--there are TONS of helpful people on this board, and most are super friendly. :)

Are you a realtor? you can't be because you are too competent. You nailed all the requirements down to the duck laddened lake as part of the backyard view.

Oh yes, she's a fluffy bunny.

What else can you tell me about villages at lakepoint ! I have heard horror stories about the 290 freeway so I was told to stay away from cypress. Should I be worried !
Yes. 290 is simply awful at rush hour. It is next on the list to be expanded.
What about the woodlands ? Is it really utopia deep in the heart of texas !

The Woodlands is nice, but it is going to be out of your commute time range.

The homes in garden oaks are way to old for our taste "1940's", but the lot sizes are magnificent.

There are lots of newer homes in Garden Oaks. There are also some brand new homes in Oak Forest. Both will be much more centrally located and have MUCH MUCH better resale than the McMansions of suburbia. Plus, there's a sense of community and some of the best mature trees to be had in a close in location.

Garden Oaks New Construction

Oak Forest New Construction

Edited by jm1fd

Hi Parrot,

My wife knows someone that lives in lakes on eldridge north. So we have been there a number of times. The layout of this subdivision is horrible with the massive Macmansions at the front entry of the community. It sends the wrong message, "you don't belong here if you are not rich like us and send you kids to Kincaid"

And that is exactly the vibe and attitude we have been the recipients of by people we have met in the community. A lot of BMW's. Again what we like to refer to as the "los angelesization of houston".

Both sides of lakes on eldrige the smaller houses are too close to the sidewalk and too close together. The developer should have never allowed the attached garage look to proliferate that much and the front setback should have been much further back. We have not seen kickerillo make these types of mistakes.

We love twin lakes and have viewed two homes in there. Subdivision layout is outstanding.

Villages at lakepointe look nice and we will go check it out once I get back in country. How does it compare to twin lakes ?

Oh yes, she's a fluffy bunny.

Yes. 290 is simply awful at rush hour. It is next on the list to be expanded.

The Woodlands is nice, but it is going to be out of your commute time range.

There are lots of newer homes in Garden Oaks. There are also some brand new homes in Oak Forest. Both will be much more centrally located and have MUCH MUCH better resale than the McMansions of suburbia. Plus, there's a sense of community and some of the best mature trees to be had in a close in location.

Garden Oaks New Construction

Oak Forest New Construction

Hi JM1fd,

We are too old and dissillusioned to wait for the garden oaks and oak forest dream to come true. In other words we are not willing to pay 400k or more to live next to a tear down and to drive through pockets of filth to get to our dream home while we wait for the area to develop into an urban utopia that will rival river oaks or piney point village one day.

Unfortunately, we want to buy the dream fully materialized to satisfy our need for instant gratifciation, unmitigated wasteful consumption and with a little bit of elitetism thrown in. In other words we want the american dream and we want it now !

I liked the "sense of community" appeal. That was nice.

Any other suggestions !

Hi KatyGuy,

My wife and I rented a home in cinco ranch in katy to see if we would like it. We now refer to ourselves as "katy refugees" whenever we talk about the place. My wife actually breaks out in hives whenever someone brings up the idea of living in "katy". It is the most sterile and inhospital place we have ever lived.

And the only thing could attribute it to was what we call the "los angeles effect", which is essentially the result of what happens to people when they have to commute on congestioned freeways and streets for more than 40 minutes one way. By the time they get home they are so pissed-off and irritated they just want to take the dog out into the backyard and beat him to relieve the stress. So interpesonal communications is out of the question. And so the neighbors in our subdivision did not speak to each other ever. No block parties, no block dinners, no attending the kids birthday parties and if you are in street when they round the cul-de-sac corner (at about 40-mph) coming home from work they will run you down.

This behaivor could have also been attributed to other events such as the property tax bill shock, yard maintenance fatigue, katy ISD trailer classroom proliferation, the dissemation of the dream that the westpark tollway would be ease the commute, the mosquito infestation from the massive man-made bayou's, the lack of mature trees for shading of body and house and last but not least the reliant energy monthly bill.

Sorry you had such a negative experience in your search for suburbia happiness. I guess my wife and I live in a different Katy than you did. I sent you the Grand Lakes link because of the open town squares and lots of greenery and walking paths. Neighbors are out all the time walking on the paths. We have found our neighbors quite friendly and have had many block parties. We are involved in the public schools and youth sports and have met many nice families. My guess is with kids in private schools (may be reason for lack of birthday parties) and the fact your traveling 90% of the time it's hard to blame the neighbors of Katy (unless you want too). I wish you luck in your search for a new home for your family. I enjoy where I live and was only trying to help.

Hi Parrot,

My wife knows someone that lives in lakes on eldridge north. So we have been there a number of times. The layout of this subdivision is horrible with the massive Macmansions at the front entry of the community. It sends the wrong message, "you don't belong here if you are not rich like us and send you kids to Kincaid"

And that is exactly the vibe and attitude we have been the recipients of by people we have met in the community. A lot of BMW's. Again what we like to refer to as the "los angelesization of houston".

Both sides of lakes on eldrige the smaller houses are too close to the sidewalk and too close together. The developer should have never allowed the attached garage look to proliferate that much and the front setback should have been much further back. We have not seen kickerillo make these types of mistakes.

We love twin lakes and have viewed two homes in there. Subdivision layout is outstanding.

Villages at lakepointe look nice and we will go check it out once I get back in country. How does it compare to twin lakes ?

It does not compare to Twin Lakes, IMHO. It's a nice subdivision but after reading the above, lacking what I think you find important. You will find Twin Lakes' style (especially with the setback subdivision entry) over at Lakes on the Parkway (another Kickerillo neighborhood) and among the newer Kelliwood area neighborhoods (Lakes on Buckingham, etc). I'd honestly stick with Twin Lakes if you like it. I liked the suggestion above about the older Kickerillo area (Nottingham Forest, other parts of Memorial, etc) but while they have the mature trees you seek, they lack any type of "entry" that you seek and any type of setback for the neighborhood. On the other hand, the values have very little chance of ever reducing because of their proximity to excellent schools and amenities, and they are closer in. West Memorial has its own personality and most people love it. I am not sure what you will find, though, for $300K--it may be something that isn't updated but then, you could do your own thing if you like the home itself.

Is there something about Twin Lakes that you don't care for or do you just want to see what else is out there similar to it? It sounds like that's where you want to be! :)

It does not compare to Twin Lakes, IMHO. It's a nice subdivision but after reading the above, lacking what I think you find important. You will find Twin Lakes' style (especially with the setback subdivision entry) over at Lakes on the Parkway (another Kickerillo neighborhood) and among the newer Kelliwood area neighborhoods (Lakes on Buckingham, etc). I'd honestly stick with Twin Lakes if you like it. I liked the suggestion above about the older Kickerillo area (Nottingham Forest, other parts of Memorial, etc) but while they have the mature trees you seek, they lack any type of "entry" that you seek and any type of setback for the neighborhood. On the other hand, the values have very little chance of ever reducing because of their proximity to excellent schools and amenities, and they are closer in. West Memorial has its own personality and most people love it. I am not sure what you will find, though, for $300K--it may be something that isn't updated but then, you could do your own thing if you like the home itself.

Is there something about Twin Lakes that you don't care for or do you just want to see what else is out there similar to it? It sounds like that's where you want to be! :)

The homes in twin lakes we looked at needed a lot of work. The other available homes are either too large or too pricey for our budget. lakes of parkway is extremely well laid out as well but nothing less than $450k and the new townhomes they are building are a major mistake (from a design standpoint). They should have went to the brownstone concept like they are doing in the woodlands town center.

Hi Parrot,

With your love for home design and subdivison community layout what would you consider the best looking subdivision from a design layout perspective on the westside of houston where you work ? list them in descending order based on your likability scale. Which has the most active HOA and community involvement ? Some communities we are looking at publish there own newsletter and the residents are very active in the upkeep and lifestyle issues pertaining to the community.

We really like the west side and think the sector is oriented as the optimal location to live in and have access to everything houston has to offer.

Well, you're not going to like this :D LOL...but Cinco Ranch is tops on my list as far as amenities, strong HOA, and community involvement (though I HAVE heard some villages/streets are better than others). I'd say Kelliwood and all it encompasses would be next, along with Windsor Park Estates (which backs up to Green Trails) and then Lakes on the Parkway (along with the smaller, gated Lakeside Enclave) and Twin Lakes. I do like Grand Lakes a lot, but I do not get the "intimate community" feel I do from Cinco Ranch (esp their more "upscale" neighborhoods).

By far, though, my favorite westside neighborhoods with the strongest HOA's are inside 6-- the older, totally established and upscale neighborhoods of Wilchester, Nottingham, Nottingham Forest, Yorkshire, and some of the smaller neighborhoods in between. You won't find more down to earth people regardless of the $$$ spent on their home. Of course anybody can tell you the best way to find out if your community is active is to get out there and look who is outside chatting on a weekend or holiday.

Some of the "pissiest" neighborhoods (LOL) have the WORST community activism. Royal Oaks Country Club is a great example. Beautiful community, but I hear HORRIBLE things about the neighbors themselves. Some of the more modest subdivisions with kids seem to be the most active. In Memorial, with the neighborhoods I mentioned above, it is seperate yet all together....and lots of people are very involved in various activities. It's like a master planned subdivision yet isn't planned at all....it just is the way it is because people care enough around here. There are tons of areas in Houston that are the same way.

My suggestion would be twofold:

Consider upping your price range and mortgaging a small percentage of your home and getting what you want now.

or

Wait and find a home in the place you wish to live at your price range now. If a home is in Twin Lakes that you like, and just needs a bit of updating, then I say go for it. You can fix stuff up as the months go by, and you've gotten exactly what you want, and where you want it.

Good luck!!!

Well, you're not going to like this :D LOL...but Cinco Ranch is tops on my list as far as amenities, strong HOA, and community involvement (though I HAVE heard some villages/streets are better than others). I'd say Kelliwood and all it encompasses would be next, along with Windsor Park Estates (which backs up to Green Trails) and then Lakes on the Parkway (along with the smaller, gated Lakeside Enclave) and Twin Lakes. I do like Grand Lakes a lot, but I do not get the "intimate community" feel I do from Cinco Ranch (esp their more "upscale" neighborhoods).

By far, though, my favorite westside neighborhoods with the strongest HOA's are inside 6-- the older, totally established and upscale neighborhoods of Wilchester, Nottingham, Nottingham Forest, Yorkshire, and some of the smaller neighborhoods in between. You won't find more down to earth people regardless of the $$$ spent on their home. Of course anybody can tell you the best way to find out if your community is active is to get out there and look who is outside chatting on a weekend or holiday.

Some of the "pissiest" neighborhoods (LOL) have the WORST community activism. Royal Oaks Country Club is a great example. Beautiful community, but I hear HORRIBLE things about the neighbors themselves. Some of the more modest subdivisions with kids seem to be the most active. In Memorial, with the neighborhoods I mentioned above, it is seperate yet all together....and lots of people are very involved in various activities. It's like a master planned subdivision yet isn't planned at all....it just is the way it is because people care enough around here. There are tons of areas in Houston that are the same way.

My suggestion would be twofold:

Consider upping your price range and mortgaging a small percentage of your home and getting what you want now.

or

Wait and find a home in the place you wish to live at your price range now. If a home is in Twin Lakes that you like, and just needs a bit of updating, then I say go for it. You can fix stuff up as the months go by, and you've gotten exactly what you want, and where you want it.

Good luck!!!

Hi Parrot,

reluctantly I agree with you about the cinco ranch and its amenities. However it does have flaws from a master planning standpoint especially when compared to the woodlands. windsor park estates is very nice but too pricey for our budget. I am surprised by your vote for lakeside enclave, the houses are too close together it feels very congested for the price. when you see cars parked on the street or in the driveway at all times during the day and night that is a very bad sign, from a pride in ownership perspective. we never saw that in cinco.

Which kelliwood communities would you consider upscale ? kelliwood lakes is definitely out of our price range. Not sure what distinguishes, courts, links, place, gardens ect.....

you are right about royal oaks. where my kids go to school half the kids live in royal oaks, so we go to birthday parties at the country club. The parents don't even talk to each other at birthday parties.

Here...

It all

My wife drove out and looked at this area and home today. It is so far from everything.

The commute into downtown houston has to be unreal ! What is this areas claim to fame !

I voted Lakeside Enclave because of the price range and the proximity to everything that Lakes on the Parkway has. It's a good gated community. Small, probably not the best planned, but a strong and tight HOA with good people. That's important.

Here's an invaluable link to Kelliwood neighborhoods and their various pricing trends for 2004 and 2005. Kelliwood itself is my favorite. I like Kelliwood Gardens a great deal, some friends of my husband's have lived there for about 10 years now and love it.

Check out Green Trails, too, if you get a chance. :)

http://www.chron.com/c/apps/HomeFront/hf.m...ubdiv=Kelliwood

Edited by Parrothead

My wife drove out and looked at this area and home today. It is so far from everything.

The commute into downtown houston has to be unreal ! What is this areas claim to fame !

It's really not that bad if you take the toll road. It generally takes me 25 minutes to downtown depending on traffic conditions. There is rarely heavy traffic on Hardy unless there is construction. However, tolls can become a new car payment if you are not careful.

What is this areas claim to fame !

None yet, I guess... it's only about 5 years old. However, we've been getting much attention.

All lots are 1+ acre- bring-your-own builder. There is plenty of room for unique houses. When completed, the entire community will be over 3,000 acres. It sits between the future Grand parkway and the future Spring Creek Greenway Project (with its own entrance).

This is piney woods Texas, so all lots are heavily wooded with pines, oaks, hollies, etc. Currently, there are 3 lakes, the largest being 52 acres. They are building a 70+ acre lake now.

I really do love it out here. I've been here for a few months now and still feel like I'm on vacation! The trees are medicinal. I'm glad you made the trip to see the neighborhood. I would like to hear of your experience if you have the time.

Here are the HAR listings:

Benders Landing

I voted Lakeside Enclave because of the price range and the proximity to everything that Lakes on the Parkway has. It's a good gated community. Small, probably not the best planned, but a strong and tight HOA with good people. That's important.

Here's an invaluable link to Kelliwood neighborhoods and their various pricing trends for 2004 and 2005. Kelliwood itself is my favorite. I like Kelliwood Gardens a great deal, some friends of my husband's have lived there for about 10 years now and love it.

Check out Green Trails, too, if you get a chance. :)

http://www.chron.com/c/apps/HomeFront/hf.m...ubdiv=Kelliwood

Hi Parrot,

Which westside subdivisions have the strictist deed restrictions and HOA enforcement in your opinion. I noticed on another forum that you liked barkers ridge and deerfield village because of their strict upkeep standards. Where did you you end up moving to...

I'd say the upper-level villages of Cinco Ranch, all of Kelliwood (esp Gardens, Greens), Green Trails, definitely some of the more exclusive Memorial/Energy Corridor areas--Thornwood, Nottingham Forest, Fleetwood. Of course, Twin Lakes is in there too. You can't go wrong with any of those. They are very established and people have lived there a long time for a reason! :)

I like Barkers Ridge and Deerfield Village very much for the price range they offer (120-200K). They're established, in good school districts, and have strong HOAs and interest in their communities.

We have not moved as of yet. I think we're going to wait until Spring. It will either be to The Woodlands (in an older, preserved LifeForms) or we will stay in the Memorial area. If we could find something we could afford in Memorial Bend, Memorial Plaza, Rustling Oaks, or Memorial Valley, well that would be it and I would be done with my home search! :) We won't be able to afford Nottingham Forest et al for a while yet. Hubby needs to be tenured first...then I can go hog wild. ;)