Sam's Bar B Que

Guest Marty

Back when my parents moved to Houston in the late 1960's they move to a house at 8222 Airline that belong to Sam Monakino and about 69 or 70 they move out and and that's when he open his Sam's Bar B Que Place there. Sam passed away some time ago. I think his daughter run's it now?

Edited by Marty

• 4 months later...
A friend of mine told me that it's not called Sam's Bar B Que anymore but could not remember the new name. Does anybody here know?

It's the Hungry Farmer now. The owners of the original Hungry Farmer on Crosstimbers near I-45 bought it from Sam's family some time after he passed away. The Hungry Farmer has been around since the late 60s. I've eaten at both places a bunch of times, and interestingly, the BBQ at the former Sam's still tastes pretty much the same as it did when Sam owned it - the BBQ at the original Crosstimbers Hungry Farmer is different but good as well.

My parents knew Sam and his family casually, as they'd been regular customers at his restaurant for years.

Another Northside BBQ place this made me think of is the long-gone Sinderson's on Little York - I vaguely recall the owner's first and middle initials were O. S., so the sign out front had "O S S" in large letters. I ate there a lot when I was a kid.

Thanks, It's good to hear that it's still a BBQ place. :) I ate lunch there often when my dad had a mechanic shop at Fulton @ Berry in the mid 1980's.

Edited by Marty