Mid Century landscaping

WestburyMod

Are there such thing as mid century landscaping trends? Were lndscaping rocks used frequently, and were sago palms a hit? In looking at Atomic Ranch mags, I've noticed rocks were frequently used, but I believe the homes portrayed are from Phoenix/ Palm Springs...

Are there such thing as mid century landscaping trends? Were lndscaping rocks used frequently, and were sago palms a hit? In looking at Atomic Ranch mags, I've noticed rocks were frequently used, but I believe the homes portrayed are from Phoenix/ Palm Springs...

Most of the pictures I have seen definitely had a desert minimalist look to them, probably due to the large number of mid-century homes out west. Since mid-century homes have an Asian sensibility to them, I would think that this type of landscaping would fit in just fine (and there are a ton of resources on Asian landscaping). Keep it simple, with large masses of the same type of planting, such as lilies, irises, jasmine, ornamental grasses, etc. Landscaping rocks/bounders would work as focal points, so you would want to use them sparingly. River rocks creating a dry stream bed that meanders through a mass of ground cover would be fantastic.

Finally, don't forget landscape lighting. I had 'moonlighting' installed in my old oak trees and the effect was fantastic with a minimum of fuss.

Most of the pictures I have seen definitely had a desert minimalist look to them, probably due to the large number of mid-century homes out west. Since mid-century homes have an Asian sensibility to them, I would think that this type of landscaping would fit in just fine (and there are a ton of resources on Asian landscaping). Keep it simple, with large masses of the same type of planting, such as lilies, irises, jasmine, ornamental grasses, etc. Landscaping rocks/bounders would work as focal points, so you would want to use them sparingly. River rocks creating a dry stream bed that meanders through a mass of ground cover would be fantastic.

Finally, don't forget landscape lighting. I had 'moonlighting' installed in my old oak trees and the effect was fantastic with a minimum of fuss.

Thanks for the tip. Since my house has floor to ceiling window in the front, I was thinking of planting horsetail bamboo within a bed of rocks... Well, at least I have this winter to decide..

Russell did an amazing landscaping plan for us, but we haven't really had the money to fully implement it after we finished the inside of the house. Rod Warner did all of my installation. He went by Russell's plan, but he improvised some as well and did a great job, especially in the front, where I needed a clean look at a low price with low maintenance. Well, I told him low maintenance, but I meant NO maintenance! He's listed on the glenbrookvalley.com site under referrals.

We did get a lot of bamboo though, and it is beautiful and growing well. I still need to get the palm trees Russell suggested, as well as the water features to help break up the noisy street behind us. Hoping to do the water once it's cool enough to dig, and to get a couple of the palms in early next spring. Plans for a patio in the back don't look practical as we are planning to use the front "porch" for our outside time as it is quieter and we have the fish to look at up there. So sadly, we use the backyard as a beautiful green place to gaze out at, but we don't go out there at all (without an ipod on, at least!)

My only thing to add besides to consult Russell is to look through 1950s Gardening and Home magazines at the library or buy them on ebay. Russell knows his stuff.

Jason

Archived