New Places In Katy

Ktex

The problem with low-income housing is that it is not well-maintained, increases crime, and lowers property values. There are few residents eager to add an unsafe eyesore to their area.

I have to agree, this is why a lot of people moved or do move to the burbs (certain areas) the nicest areas they could/can afford. Count me as one does not want low income housing in my area. You are generalizing a bit here with your perception of all low income housing and what the poster meant by low income housing.

To me though, we have to realize when we are saying things like we don't want low income housing near us, we are effectively saying we don't want a class of people to live near us(low income people)not empty houses of cheaper build quality. Does that say we are discrimitating and does that bother you.

to discriminate is to (defintion)

1. To make a clear distinction; distinguish: discriminate among the options available. b. To make sensible decisions; judge wisely.

2.To make distinctions on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit; show preference or prejudice: was accused of discriminating against women; discriminated in favor of his cronies.

I'd like to think that we are employing the word in the sense of the first definition. but i have been accused of being a right wing fascist before(haha).

I do think we should be more sensitive in our posts to the plights of others in the fact that anybody may be reading them.(i am so guilty of being closed minded and do not always think of these things myself),I just mean that "sttombiz" for all i know could be genarally interested in the Area and is pushing his budget to get into that area and I can sympathize with that. Cheers

Edited by westguy76

There is already low-income housing and apartments (a lot around Taylor and Mayde Creek High Schools), all around Katy, I just don't know why some more would kill everybody. We are not living in the Woodlands here.

Edited by Trae

I think that in a couple of years North Katy will become more affluent that South Katy, because of the whole Grand Mall project at I-10 and Grand Parkway. All low-income homes will be taken down,and they will be replace by new homes. Or either the small homes will increase their prices because they are going to be near the new mall.

I don't know. Probably not. South Katy is getting close to build out (in Cinco Ranch, not areas around Seven Lakes High School), and the north side hasn't seen more housing than the south. Once the Grand Parkway rolls through, and the Grand, Westside Marketplace come up, the northside of Katy will see a large boom in housing, while the southside cools down. Also, property values will rise even more than they are now. The new Memorial Hermann Medical Complex helped that area out a lot, then all of this new Simon stuff, and that outdoor mall at JC Penney. Then I am pretty sure that new Catholic High School up there helped with property values. It should be all good for North Katy.

hopefully it will be. what schools in katy are private anyway? (besides for the forementioned Catholic high school)

is there a catholic elementary or junior high in katy?

...thats something that katy could think about- private schools. Imagine schools even better than KISD

Pope John XX!!! is the private high school. www.pj23.org

I think that in a couple of years North Katy will become more affluent that South Katy, because of the whole Grand Mall project at I-10 and Grand Parkway. All low-income homes will be taken down,and they will be replace by new homes. Or either the small homes will increase their prices because they are going to be near the new mall.

Ekarl...with all due respect...you are kidding right? There is no way that houses are going to be torn down on the north side. The smaller houses may increase in value slightly but that isn't going to happen any time soon. Not when you have new subdivisions selling brand new houses for under 100K in the general area. Like it or not, economic boundries have been set in the Katy area. Do a search on HAR and it'll become painfully clear.

I don't know. Probably not. South Katy is getting close to build out (in Cinco Ranch, not areas around Seven Lakes High School), and the north side hasn't seen more housing than the south. Once the Grand Parkway rolls through, and the Grand, Westside Marketplace come up, the northside of Katy will see a large boom in housing, while the southside cools down. Also, property values will rise even more than they are now. The new Memorial Hermann Medical Complex helped that area out a lot, then all of this new Simon stuff, and that outdoor mall at JC Penney. Then I am pretty sure that new Catholic High School up there helped with property values. It should be all good for North Katy.

What is this Westside Marketplace? Is it related to the Grand project. I haven't heard that name yet.

hopefully it will be. what schools in katy are private anyway? (besides for the forementioned Catholic high school)

is there a catholic elementary or junior high in katy?

...thats something that katy could think about- private schools. Imagine schools even better than KISD

Currently the nearest Catholic grade schools are John Paul II and Cardinal Newman. Both are prek-8th grade and are located in the Briarforest & Eldridge area.

John Paul II is the more established of the two. It was started by the same group that later started John XXIII high school. I believe there is also another Catholic elementary/jr high somewhere near north Highway 6.

I agree that it would be great to have more private schools in Katy. In the meantime, at least Eldridge is not too terribly far by Houston standards.

I went to John Paul II for a year, and never looked back. That school has some shady business going on.

And the Westside Marketplace will be along the vast swarth of land west of Mason Road. It is being developed by Interfin.

i really don't think that the katy area needs buses...........because then it will look like houston.........only minorities riding them............that would make the katy areallllllllooooooooooook abad

if ya wanted to live in a suburb use yar kar........or else move into a townhome near houston downtown

What the f*** is so embarrasing about having buses in Katy? Buses can run in Katy too -- look at the 12 suburbs of Dallas that have DART, ain't nobody complaining. Tell U what, I would like Katy to have its OWN local bus sytem and call it KATrans. And to balance out the burb environment, it wouldn't run all hours of the day and night like METRO does, but at least run it from 6 am to 9 pm Monday-Friday and 7 am to 7 pm Weekends on 30 minute intervals M-F and 60 minute intervals S-S for each route. There can be transfer points at Katy Mills, Cinco Ranch and the Kingsland P&R. White ppl in Katy can ride buses too, they do it all the time in for ex.: Cobb County, Georgia, Oakland, Lauderdale/Broward County, Fl, etc.

I went in eighth grade, i had actually went there for two years. I was there in 4K, but my parents decided to put me back for one more year in eighth grade.

Well, that school is real prejudice. It says catholic School, but don't let that fool you. If you weren't one of the richest in that school, you were looked down on. Seriously, if you don't own a home in Lakes of Parkway, or in one of those nieghborhoods along Enclave Parkway, you aren't to their standards. They are pretty good in academics though, but everything else, no.

On a side note, the principal there was like a dictator. Three teachers, while I was there, were thinking about quitting because of her. That's in one year. They finally did last school year, and none are back, but the principal left.

We would definitely like to see some nice retail such as:

Cache

Storehouse

Z Gallery

Sharper Image

Visible Changes

and for dining-

Perry's Steakhouse

Cheesecake Factory

PF Changs

Pappadeaux's

Carrabba's

La Madeline

It would be very nice to have these places at arm's length rather than in another city.

It would also be great to have a Williams-Sonoma nearby.

There is already low-income housing and apartments (a lot around Taylor and Mayde Creek High Schools), all around Katy, I just don't know why some more would kill everybody. We are not living in the Woodlands here.

Maybe someday when you have the priviledge of signing a mortgage you will understand. and I don't mean that as a slight.

Edited by westguy76

• The title was changed to New Places In Katy
  • 1 year later...

Seems like a good use for the space and a nice update for this area of Katy. 

1200x0.jpg

On Monday, Katy city council unanimously approved a new rendering for the downtown plaza renovation plan. The council also authorized Mayor Dusty Thiele to sign an agreement with design firm LJA Engineering.

LJA Engineering has previously estimated the project will cost about $2.7 million in total, with the goal in mind to turn Katy's downtown and historic district into a destination area. The project's design cost was about $378,000 and funded through reserves in the city's general fund.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/katy/article/downtown-plaza-rendering-17335496.php

• Like 4