"European" style developments

I've been watching House Hunters International lately on HGTV and it got me thinking....how come we don't have any exceptionally well-designed, sub-1000 square foot flats in this town? I assume the reason is at least partially based on our lack of density, and I guess that, outside of New York, such development may not be financially feasible.

That being said, though, I would think there would be at least some interest for 1000 square foot (or smaller) 1 to 2 bedroom condos that are well designed and offer "european" style---preferably with concrete floors/ceilings and walls and small balconies attached. Given their small size, they'd be easy to clean and maintain, and probably be perfect for single people, transient professionals, and young couples or empty nesters looking to downsize. I mean, not everyone wants a 1,400 square foot or larger place, right?!?

So aside from my suggested explanations, anyone else know why we don't have such developments here? Or does anyone know of such a development being built?

Un-Texan ;)

That's as good a reason as any. :lol:

You might add un-American. We are so consumer driven, that we have too much "stuff". We need bigger houses to hold it all. For the small group of people that can look at all of their "stuff" and say, "I don't need all of this junk", flats may become attractive. For the rest, "air conditioned storage", also known as a home, is the requirement.

There is an ever so slight trend away from the larger homes, however. With the wave of Baby-Boomer retirees, this type of living is likely to increase somewhat.

I think we do have a few of these already. Live Oak Lofts is a decent example. I wouldn't say "exceptionally designed" but its a nice building. Has the concrete floors, high ceilings. Some flaws, but few places are perfect. Anyway, this is an example of why it also currently doesnt work. One it is expensive compared to the fact you can get a townhouse for the same price. Two, people in Houston just aren't comfortable with the idea yet and thus the resale potential declines.

I personally like the style a lot - but as Red Scare alluded to, size does matter as well.

Archived