Post Oak II Drive-In Theater At 1255 N. Post Oak Rd.

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

The Galleria is the closest to Times Sqaure in Houston. Got shopping, arcade,resteraunts,music store, computr stores,offices, hotels, health club,and a new expansion.

This mall has everything malls has accept one thing..........a movie theater. FO some reason there has never been a theater or one in the area around The Galleria. This is truely bad plannning. A movie theater would be a mjor source of income. Only reason I can't see builg one is there is no space. The could use the space behind The Galleris or tear down Dillards. Spectrum 9 about a mile away is gone. Edwards at Greenway is too far.

SO why do you suppose they've never built a cinema at THe Galleria...........they forgot? They could built an Imax!!!

The Galleria is the closest to Times Sqaure in Houston. Got shopping, arcade,resteraunts,music store, computr stores,offices, hotels, health club,and a new expansion.

This mall has everything malls has accept one thing..........a movie theater. FO some reason there has never been a theater or one in the area around The Galleria. This is truely bad plannning. A movie theater would be a mjor source of income. Only reason I can't see builg one is there is no space. The could use the space behind The Galleris or tear down Dillards. Spectrum 9 about a mile away is gone. Edwards at Greenway is too far.

SO why do you suppose they've never built a cinema at THe Galleria...........they forgot? They could built an Imax!!!

If I remember correctly, there was once a three screen theater in The Galleria back in the 1980s or so.

The Galleria theaters were part of the General Cinema theater chain for the longest time. I don't think they ever belonged to another theater chain.

Weren't they called Galleria I & II? The last movie I saw there was "Back to the Future."

In 1974, the theaters were showing "Our Time" and the Andy Warhol X-rated film "Flesh for Frankenstein."

I remember there being two theatres there as a kid. One of them was on the ice rink level in the corner. We stood in line for over 2 hours to see E.T. there in 1982. The line for tickets wrapped halfway around the ice rink. I think the theater was 3 screens, but I don't remember for sure. I'm not sure where the other one was, but I think it was down from the towers elevator bank in the center of the Galleria.

Edwards at Greenway is too far because U R 2 lazy to drive two simple easy miles to it from shopping. (pun intended) :wacko::lol: Go to the Marq-E sometimes.

With that Times Square comparison, ppl here are too embarrassed about their popularity socially to even ride the 82 Westheimer to the bus stop before Post Oak, get off and just walk across the parking lot to the Galleria main entraince. That's what Houston does to ppl: cram them in cars that fatten em up with AC and ____. :blink:

Shopping mall movie theaters were common at one point but have pretty much gone extinct. My guess is that mall operators figured out that moviegoers weren't shopping, so there was no reason to devote space to theaters. Also, theaters became significantly larger with multiplexes and stadium seating, so the two-screen setup common in malls became uneconomic, and theaters in general have become less profitable due to over-expansion and DVDs. I doubt Simon would see much point in building potentially money-losing Galleria movie theaters when Edwards covers the same market. Their goal isn't to be Times Square - it's to lease space to the most profitable tenants.

The original Cinema was in the lower level where its an arcade now, next to the food court and the parking garage. Originally the Galleria ended there. When they expanded the opened a second theater but its gone now, it was replaced by the bridge to Galleria IV (new wing). There was a McDonald across from it.

Guest Plastic
Sorry Plastic, the Galleria has been there and done that. The late night kiddies running through the Mall was something the Galleria frowned upon, so they closed it down, or "failed to renew their lease."

They could build it wee DIllards is, whis technically not The Galleria.

• 2 months later...

This mall has everything malls has accept one thing..........a movie theater. FO some reason there has never been a theater or one in the area around The Galleria.

The General Cinema theaters in the mall have already been mentioned by others earlier in this thread; as to "in the area around the Galleria", however, there was the lovely Loews Saks (later purchased by Landmark) on Post Oak, where the Pavilion is. It's the last theater I can recall in Houston that still actually had functioning curtains covering the screen that opened at the beginning of the show and closed when the movie was over. It was still showing movies as recently as 10-12 years ago; as far as I know, the building's still there, but it's vacant - most of it was underground, and it's not exactly easy to repurpose a vacant movie theater for other uses without extensive renovations.

Speaking of remembering the old Galleria - anyone remember the "Galleria Roof" with hurricaine drinks and the bowling allwy game area on the top floor? Anyone at all but me?

Was that Annabelle's? I think it was on top of the Westin Galleria. They have proms there now.

No one mentioned the Windsor Theater in the middle of the shopping center facing Richmond between Post Oak and Sage. I think there were three theaters there. The largest had blue velvet rocking seats and seated about 1,000. It was the nicest theater in Houston during the 70's.

No one mentioned the Windsor Theater in the middle of the shopping center facing Richmond between Post Oak and Sage. I think there were three theaters there. The largest had blue velvet rocking seats and seated about 1,000. It was the nicest theater in Houston during the 70's.

The Windsor was originally a Cinerama theater (for anyone not familiar with Cinerama, there's a very detailed history of it at the Widescreen Museum), so it stands to reason that it would have been a top-of-the-line facility. Its elegance survived its later conversion to a "regular", non-Cinerama theater, for the most part.

Here's a pic of the Windsor's auditorium in its Cinerama days, clearly showing the huge curved screen (although whoever wrote the caption clearly needs a remedial geography lesson):

windsor.jpg

That's a different Windsor theater mkultra, that one was in Dallas.......nice clipping though.

I had a little shindig with the company I work for, over at the Galleria the other day. It was at the Westin, and I was totally blown away by the new Nordstrom wing they have added onto that place. It looked surreal. It was about 7:15 am and noone was really in the Galleria yet, I just stood there at the entrance way and peered down that wing, it was a very powerful feeling to me, it just seemed so GIANORMOUS ! I highly recommend making a trip to check it out.

Edited by TJones

That's a different Windsor theater mkultra, that one was in Dallas.......nice clipping though.

The caption is incorrect (hence my comment about remedial geography) - the photo is indeed of the Windsor in Houston. The Cinerama theater in Dallas was the Melba (later renamed the Capri), not the Windsor. There's as complete a list of Cinerama theaters as you're likely to find here, with a couple of additional photos of the Windsor here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Post Oak II Drive-In Theater At 1255 N. Post Oak Rd.