Atomic Ranches Mid Century Moderns

I like the roof especially.  It looks like it is still the correct built-up gravel topped roof.  My mother, who never seems to notice much architecturally, surprized me the other day when she brought up that she does not like the composition shingles on the low pitched roofs. The built-up type looks much better.

So is that the common term for that type of roof? I've always called it a tar and gravel roof...but I'm not an architect nor a roofer. Also, while we're on the subject, I was wondering what the replacement cost and typical lifespan of that type of roof is....

I'm like you, I am neither an architect or a roofer, but I think they have a very long life. I do know that if you see "bubbles" in the roofing that usually indicates it is nearing time for an overhaul.

FYI- I posted this under Houston Mod, but I got the '56 Parade of Homes Brochure downloaded on the site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
here are some interior shots of the "recipitron" house.  It has some pretty cool woodwork & tile.  IMG_0180.jpgIMG_0181.jpgIMG_0189.jpgIMG_0192.jpg

The guy that bought this "recipitron" house has finally done all the damage he is going to do on redoing it. He has it open on the weekends now Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately they took out the great vintage mod kitchen cabinets and put some crap back in, same with the master bath. The hall bath was left alone though. 7927 Glenview if anyone wants to look at it.

The guy that bought this "recipitron" house has finally done all the damage he is going to do on redoing it.  He has it open on the weekends now Saturday and Sunday.  Unfortunately they took out the great vintage mod kitchen cabinets and put some crap back in, same with the master bath.  The hall bath was left alone though.  7927 Glenview if anyone wants to look at it.

We should all trapse through and comment how we'd all LOVE to buy it if only it had more of the original details. That'd make him think twice before tearing up another mod. :D

Guest danax
We should all trapse through and comment how we'd all LOVE to buy it if only it had more of the original details.  That'd make him think twice before tearing up another mod.  :D

Kitchens don't last long. I was driving down Pasadena St. in Forest Hill this morning and spotted some glass cabinets lying in a pile by the street. The doors appeared to be handmade with glass inserts, probably from the 40s-50s. The guy comes out and told me bought it to either flip it or rent it and it "was getting a new kitchen".

That's it, not much of a story but it bothers me to see investors come in a do permanent damage.

I peeked into a vacant house in our neighborhood, Memorial Bend, earlier today.  The house - a pretty basic late 50s mock tudor - had a beeeautiful aqua oven - looked like it was in perfect shape.  I need to find a way to get to it.

Is the house on the market? I can see when it is proposed to close.

• 5 months later...
That's a really neat house....too bad its 3,300 sqft...if it was nearer to 2k, and priced lower, I might buy it. Unfortunately, at that size and price range, I see a family (or several) of Mexicans in its future. Bad tilework, big iron fence out front, and pink and teal trim, here we come!!

I think there has been a happy ending for these houses. They seemed to land in the hands of people who are taking care of them. :)

The big California contemporary was bought by a two guys, one of which is an HISD administrator I think. Another mod by A. Carroll Brodnax on the same street was bought by a couple of guys also, one is Chiropractor. In both cases the houses are getting some much needed attention. The "recipitron" house finally closed. It looks like a nice couple bought it that were out working like mad on the yard and trying to get the house in shape.

A couple of other mod houses have sold to mod enthusiasts also, so it looks like finally more of these grand old mods will be salvaged. The outlook seems a lot brighter than last year anyway.

• The title was changed to Atomic Ranches Mid Century Moderns

Archived