Knowledgable Galvestonian Friends

We rented a beach house this holiday weekend for ourselves and some of our friends that are coming in from out of town. We want to take them out to eat to a few mainstay, not-too-touristy places. Aside from Gaido's and The Mexican Cafe (that's my short list, LOL), what do y'all recommend?

Captain's Table! I have been there and forgot all about it. Yes, it IS very good, casual too, which I like.

I have seen the Mosquito Cafe a few times and wondered what it was like. Is Saltwater Grill still open or is that not so good?

How about DiBellas on 31st at P?

Not many tourists there and great basic italian food.

the Mosquito is great for breakfast.

Saltwater's food quality seemed to be suffering, the last time I was there.

Go down the street to Rudy & Paco instead.

or try Shrimp and Stuff - Ave O at 38 or 39th. A dive with great inexpensive seafood.

the whole red snapper at the Captain's Table is awesome.

Definately the best choice if you are staying on the west end - since its close

I'd recommend these restaurants.

Seafood, BBQ, & Mexican...

Clary's Seafood Restaurant

8509 Teichman Rd

Galveston, TX 77554

(409) 740-0771

Leon's World's Finest in & Out BBQ House

5427 Broadway St # A

Galveston, TX 77551

(409) 744-0070

Also, Chico's Paradise has just opened. I've heard good things! The place has a rooftop bar. It's located across the street from Strewart Beach.

I ate at Chico's Paradise, and while the rooftop bar maybe nice in the evening, the food was overpriced and mediocre.

Clary's and Rudy and Paco's are great as is the Captain's Table. The Spot on the Seawall serves great burgers if that's what you are hankering for.

Well, I decided Clary's was out after thinking it was probably too dressy? It looked dressy in the ads, anyway. I'd love to go back with just me-n-Matt, for sure, it looked fabulous and definitely a little secret.

We ended up going to Captain's Table (stuffed flounder!! OMG), The Original, LaKing's for ice cream, and we had a huge shrimp boil and grilled fresh grouper. It was great! Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

• 4 months later...
Is Mario's on the seawall still good? Or has it turned like its mediocre brethern up in the clear lake area

Johnny was seen sporting in a new Hummer so I guess business is good these days.

Clary's is really an institution in itself. Been something of a secret for a long time. I'd rate it well above Gaido's.

Yes, Clary's is in a class all it's own. We love it. Don't have to wait 1 1/2hr. to eat either.

Try Queens on Ave S for BBQ, also good.

• The title was changed to Knowledgable Galvestonian Friends

Archived