Katy ISD

Trae

Kindoff, read this article...

Katy I.S.D. Artice

According to PASA's analysis, the district's enrollment, which will reach 50,000 this fall, will hit 62,000 by 2010 and 83,000 by 2015.

The biggest areas of projected growth are those that are currently the enrollment zones for Katy, Seven Lakes and Morton Ranch High Schools.

In PASA's most-likely scenario of growth, the population of high-school age students in Katy's current attendance zone will surpass 6,000 in 2015.. with Seven Lakes' current attendance zone the home of nearly 5,500 students and Morton Ranch's another 4,200.

Most of KISD's elementary schools are built to house approximately 1,000 students.

By 2010, seven current elementary attendance zones will have more than 1,200 students, with the currently unzoned area south of I-10 near Katy-Gaston and Katy-Flewellen being called home by nearly 1,400 elementary aged students.

KISD's junior high schools are built to hold around 1,400 students at capacity.

“The data is pretty much the same song, second verse for the junior highs,” Pool said.

“Both Katy Junior High and Beckendorff are projected to have more than 2,000 students by 2010. “

Those numbers soar to large 5A high school figures in the 2015 projection, with Katy Junior High's attendance zone at nearly 3,800 and Beckendorff a staggering 5,443.

Although it will not appear on the next proposed bond agenda, McMeans mentioned that a future transportation facility will be needed south of I-10 for the district.
Edited by Trae

Well, here is the story about the bond:

Katy I.S.D. Bond Election

Section from the article:

The new initiative, $7.9 million more than a bond package that failed in May, includes building three new elementary schools, two junior highs and a ninth-grade center, renovating existing schools and adding new technology and land — items included in the defeated proposal.

Also included are the expansion of Miller Career Center, School of Choice, Behavior Transition Program, Mayde Creek High School natatorium, high school sports arenas and roof, floor and air-conditioning repairs at various campuses. The committee rejected district requests for $21 million in improvements to Katy High School's West Campus and to build a $14.8 south transportation center

What do you all think about this? I wonder where the new high school would be? Probably in northern Katy.

Another story about this:

Katy I.S.D. Bond Approval

"The committee also understands the need to build new schools for the 10,000-plus students (the Katy school district) will welcome over the next three years," Snyder said.

The bond proposal calls for three new elementary schools, two junior highs and a new ninth-grade center at Morton Ranch High School.

It's also nice to see Katy I.S.D. growing. This district will be built out soon, and it is a good idea to buy the land for the schools now, like they are doing.

Edited by Trae

Well, here is the story about the bond:

Katy I.S.D. Bond Election

Section from the article:

What do you all think about this? I wonder where the new high school would be? Probably in northern Katy.

Another story about this:

Katy I.S.D. Bond Approval

It's also nice to see Katy I.S.D. growing. This district will be built out soon, and it is a good idea to buy the land for the schools now, like they are doing.

I hadn't seen where they rejected KHS West Campus renovations, what a shame. Seems to me those on the bond committee have never stepped foot inside KHS west campus which means that those bond committee members are from the newer schools. KHS is a fantastic school but it needs some work. That is my biggest problem with the bond, the district continues to spend money to build new but never has any money to take care of what we already have. Don't believe me? Take a ride out to Katy and take a look at the KHS West campus...take a look at West Memorial Junior High (which is well under capacity), take a look at McDonald Junior High.

And for the record, the west campus of Katy High School was originally an elementary school...WAY back in the day.

it wasnt that long ago that it was katy elementary. I love how kisd still keeps the school from the good ol' days of segregation on the books. as I last recall, it was a storage facility on the other side of katy high school.

I believe there are plans for a new elementary school to be built on seven meadows parkway. next to the community center and pool area of the neighborhood. is this the site for the school talked about in the bond proposal?

elementary school could be placed on the acreage katy isd owns at baker and kingsland. its bordered by green trails and windsor park lakes and estates. seeing how the nearest elementary for those kids to go to is nottingham. likely it will be given to a hospital to hold or for build out.

...wolfe needs to be shut down...

Why does Wolfe need to be shut down?? It is at a good size for an elementary school. I was thinking McDonald needed to be shut down when Morton Ranch Junior High was opened. McDonald did have about 1300 kids, but it went down to about 800. Now, it has 1200. The same could happen to Wolfe. There is some land left for new developments around it.

When I was at Katy, it looked pretty bad. The West Campus was the dirtiest, and there were a lot of broken doors. Katy I.S.D. spends money on a new gym, enlarging the weight room,and renovating the fields at Cinco Ranch High. Why can't they fix up the first high school in Katy I.S.D. Katy High School, along with Seven Lakes and Morton Ranch, are the most posed for growth in the school district. Cinco, Mayde Creek, and Taylor's zones are pretty much built out. I bet a parent would like seeing the insides of the school they were going to send their child to after building a brand new house would look decent. They need to fix up KHS, big time.

They also need a new high school north of Morton Ranch. Morton Ranch is going to be larger than Mayde Creek, and neck and neck with Taylor next year (its fourth year). It has been above capacity since this year. I don't know why Katy I.S.D. builds their new high schools for capacity at 2400. Pretty small.

There also needs to be a new junior high in Westheimer Lakes North. All that growth that way, and Beckendorff will have kids sitting on top of each other. I know there will be a new Junior High in Woodcreek Reserve, so that will help.

Edited by Trae

it wasnt that long ago that it was katy elementary.

This may be true, however I was in that building last night and I can tell you that it needs help. If that building was anywhere else within the district, the high and mighty would be bitching to high heaven about the condition in which their babies are subjected to. Honestly, I don't see a need to build anything new at KHS, but they do need to do some updating in the worst kind of way.

BUT, the parents of KHS kids obviously aren't bitching enough to get anything done. This is why I for one, will not vote for a bond election. My feeling is that if the district can't or won't maintain what they have, why should we give them more money to build more buildings that they won't/can't take care of down the road. Prove to me you can handle what you have and then they'll get my vote.

That...and get rid of Leonard Merrill and we're good to go!

what is the point on keeping it in the katy isd area? the school offers nothing to the surrounding area seeing how most are in the over 55 demographic (kids in college and such). the school would be better situated as a private high school or to be torn down and have a hospital in its place (methodist has no presence in the west houston area).

it should be kept if they extend memorial to kingsland but when is that going to happen? hasnt it been on the books since buffalo bayou was supposed to be turned into the next 'riverwalk?'

...all I am saying is that wolfe sits on too large an area (over 35 acres) just to be an elementary school.

what are some ideas for the use of such land?

. My feeling is that if the district can't or won't maintain what they have, why should we give them more money to build more buildings that they won't/can't take care of down the road.

That...and get rid of Leonard Merrill and we're good to go!

Do your homework and understand the projected growth in KISD over the next 10 to 20 years. How is the future of KISD going to handle this growth. We have a top notch school district when compared to other large school districts and we want to keep it that way. Can you also please expand on your comment on Dr. Merrill (you need to stop watching those Taco Bell commercials and read a book)? I don't quite get it. Thanks!

yea but no. the luxury apartments and townhomes start before the neighborhoods at the end of memorial dr. they are a little before and after eldridge.

the rest of memorial after exxon and global sante fe are stately homes. I dont want an apartment complex going up at the end of my neighborhood (maybe a surgical hospital or like a private school but not an apartment complex). they can make it into a gated residential community (kind of like the new terraces on memorial next to briar hills).

the lowest ratios of students per family are located in the area I am talking about (0.0 to a high of .16). wow, that is disgusting. wolfe needs to go. all the families in the area are just sending their kids to private schools now anyway.

what else can be housed in the 35 acres???

Do your homework and understand the projected growth in KISD over the next 10 to 20 years. How is the future of KISD going to handle this growth. We have a top notch school district when compared to other large school districts and we want to keep it that way. Can you also please expand on your comment on Dr. Merrill (you need to stop watching those Taco Bell commercials and read a book)? I don't quite get it. Thanks!

My point is that failing to maintain what we currently have will end up costing the district more money down the road, not a great stewardship of taxpayers money. I hear talk of closing this school or that school by many different people. Is that the right solution...close a building down to build new? Absolutely not and anyone who believes otherwise is foolish. People today are so into the biggest, best and newest that it becomes a problem. Take West Memorial Junior High for example. We have a school that is obviously under capacity and will continue to decline in capacity over time. The district won't be able to rezone any neighborhood into WMJH because parents will complain to high heaven until the district caves. Eventually, enrollment will get so small that it will be suggested that WMJH close. Heaven forbid people send their little babies to such a "ghetto" school afterall!

My comments on Leonard Merrill stand. From personal interaction with him, attending school board meetings and discussions with those inside the district, this is my opinon of which I am entitled. Maybe you should should stop berating people and attend a school board meeting for yourself. Not sure why you felt obligated to stoop to personal attacks with your comments but it really wasn't necessary. Your suggestion that I should read a book was ignorant at best. You may want to go back and check your own posts before you suggest someone stop watching Taco Bell commercials.

Edited by Ktex

My point is that failing to maintain what we currently have will end up costing the district more money down the road, not a great stewardship of taxpayers money. I hear talk of closing this school or that school by many different people. Is that the right solution...close a building down to build new? Absolutely not and anyone who believes otherwise is foolish. People today are so into the biggest, best and newest that it becomes a problem. Take West Memorial Junior High for example. We have a school that is obviously under capacity and will continue to decline in capacity over time. The district won't be able to rezone any neighborhood into WMJH because parents will complain to high heaven until the district caves. Eventually, enrollment will get so small that it will be suggested that WMJH close. Heaven forbid people send their little babies to such a "ghetto" school afterall!

My comments on Leonard Merrill stand. From personal interaction with him, attending school board meetings and discussions with those inside the district, this is my opinon of which I am entitled. Maybe you should should stop berating people and attend a school board meeting for yourself. Not sure why you felt obligated to stoop to personal attacks with your comments but it really wasn't necessary. Your suggestion that I should read a book was ignorant at best. You may want to go back and check your own posts before you suggest someone stop watching Taco Bell commercials.

Thanks for your comments. Your points are well taken and I appreciate your response.

My earlier post was not meant as a personal attack but an effort to "light a fire" in you so I could understand your comments/opinion on Dr. Merrill. I have attended zoning meetings (some full of fire) and I have always been impressed with Dr. Merrill (my opinion). Our school district is ranked one of the highest in Texas for large school districts and Dr. Merrill is a part of that (again my opinion). I just didn't understand why you think his job performance warrants that he should go. My opinion is that he is doing an excellent job in driving our wonderful school district. Thanks!

Thanks for your comments. Your points are well taken and I appreciate your response.

My earlier post was not meant as a personal attack but an effort to "light a fire" in you so I could understand your comments/opinion on Dr. Merrill. I have attended zoning meetings (some full of fire) and I have always been impressed with Dr. Merrill (my opinion). Our school district is ranked one of the highest in Texas for large school districts and Dr. Merrill is a part of that (again my opinion). I just didn't understand why you think his job performance warrants that he should go. My opinion is that he is doing an excellent job in driving our wonderful school district. Thanks!

No blood, no foul. Glad to know that we are ALL entitled to our opinions and I would never suggest otherwise. I'd likely respond a little more in detail but am heading out to a football game in a few minutes.

Trae...you're right, WMJH does need rezoning but it will likely never happen. Those that are in the CRJH attendance zone would never allow it to happen.

• The title was changed to Katy ISD