Wholehouse Water Filtration Systems

bram

Hello All:

I am planning to get a Wholehouse water Filtration system for my home. Please suggest me brands and comapnies who deal with these systems.

Thanks in Advance,

BR

did you plan on filtering just the drinking water or then ENTIRE water system including bathrooms as well?

did you plan on filtering just the drinking water or then ENTIRE water system including bathrooms as well?

And, do you live in an area that does not have access to Houston water? I have found whole house systems to be a huge waste of money, if they are merely refiltering city water. If city water taste or additives are the annoyance, a smaller drinking water system is much more economical...and just as effective.

If you are filtering well water, I can understand the need. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend anyone, since the half dozen experiences my clients have had were all less than satisfactory.

• 4 weeks later...

Bram,

I've been thinking about doing this too, especially after reading this:

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/uscities/pdf/houston.pdf

According to this report, Houston has high levels of the following in the tap water:

Arsenic

Haleocetic Acids

Radon

Trihalomethanes

There is just very little unbiased information on the web on whole house water filters. Everyone who claims to have any information also has an agenda and unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a consumer reports article or something akin to that on whole house systems, just pitchers and faucet units. The thing is, you absord all of that crap through your skin when you take showers as well.

• 1 month later...

There are three levels of home filtration. You can get basic water softeners which filter sediment and some minerals. You can get charcoal filtration which removes most chemicals. And for drinking water, you can get reverse osmosis, which is equivalent to bottled water. I recommend the first two for whole house, and the third for under the sink in the kitchen.

Should you get one? Yes. All municipal water systems contain contaminants and additives like chlorine. Chlorine can be the worst as it is absorbed by the skin and breathed through the lungs in shower water vapor. Drinking other contaminants can adversely affect your health.

I purchased a Culligan system with all three parts for about $3,000. It works great, will protect my family's health, and increase the value of our house. I'm sure there are other companies. Try a Froogle search.