Comparing NYC to Houston

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

I was told in drivers ed that Manhattan could fit inside the 620 loop. I'm not sure if it was just Manhattan or all of New York City.

Whatever that is awfully small. But the thing is I though Manhattan island was 13 miles long.

SO is it all of New York that could fit inside Loop 16?

Using Google Earth, I estimate the area inside Loop 610 to be about 100 square miles (I approximated it as a rectangle and then subtracted the triangle shape section on the SE side). So we're talking about 4 times bigger than Manhattan.

I was just in Manhattan/Brooklyn this past weekend for a wedding. It was my first time in four years. Last time I was there, I spent most of my time in midtown and the financial district. This time, I spent an evening in Brooklyn and a majority of time staying on the Upper West Side. I also went to the Natural History museum (all I had time for). Next time, I really want to check out the MET, Guggenheim, and MoMA. I have to make my trips there longer than 48 hours!

• 2 weeks later...
My guess is that Manhatten is WAYYY smaller than inside 610...

Manhatten is probably closer to the size of West University Place somehting close to that....

Manhatten is approx 26 square miles...

That's really small...

While Manhattan would easily fit inside 610, it is considerably bigger than West University Place. West U is about 2 square miles in area.

Guest Plastic
Manhattan has about 20 square miles. All of NYC has about 303 square miles of land. Houston has 579.4 square miles of land.

303 , is that with suburbs?

I have always heard, but have never seen anything official, is that one of the statistics for DFW airport was that it is larger land-wise than Manhattan. So, if that is correct, that gives you some perspective on the size of Manhattan compared to Houston proper. Of course, the big difference is that Manhattan is the most densely populated area in the United States, and one of the most densely populated areas in the world. By comparison all the big Texas cities are very sparsely populated when compared to most northern US cities.

• 2 weeks later...

Manhattan could easily fit inside the loop if it were made of play-dough, yes.

As for actually fitting Manhattan into 610 - it might be possible, but only if Manhattan were laid diagonally with Inwood resting inside the SW corner (Post Oak/Braeswood) and the Battery resting near the northeast corner (highway 90).

One way to check would be to cut out Manhattan from a large-scale topographic map, than overlay it on a same-scale map of H-town. This could be done digitally by downloading the images from TopoZone, but my graphics program (PBRUSH.EXE) lacks the power. Any volunteers?

Edited by CB4

Lying diagonally, Manhattan could probably fit in the 610 loop. The 610 loop has around half of a million people, give or take a few, in a little under 100 square miles. That makes the loop five times larger than Manhattan, but Manhattan has a little more than three times the population. About 70,000 people per square mile.

Edited by WesternGulf