Houston Mod

mdadm

Hello all. I'm a newbie, a brand new-bie. First time posting...I hope I do it right and I apologize if this info is somewhere on this sight already. If so, please just refer me to where?! Here is my situation:

I bought a mid-century modern house recently. I suspect that an architect designed the house, maybe a local one maybe not, maybe one of note maybe not.

I have asked around the "mod" community and no one so far has knowledge of the house or an attribution that goes anywhere.

I keep hearing that I can go downtown and research the records that were made when the house was originally being permitted etc and that there might be details of the house that could be of interest eg. dates, architects, builders etc...

I thought surely that many of you have already done this. If someone could take a few minutes to respond and tell me exactly where to go and what to expect, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on your new house, and welcome to the board! I'm sure I'm not alone in saying please post pictures!

I haven't been to the HCAD office myself, but I think that it's probably going to give you the best starting point for research.

Harris County Appraisal District

13013 Northwest Freeway

Houston, Texas 77040-6305

www.hcad.org

I would also just look around your neighborhood for other mod houses and knock on a few doors. In Willowbend, they give us a directory with phone numbers. If they do that in your neighborhood then you can just call the people who own the other mods and see what they know. If they don't know anything, at least you made some neighborhood connections.

Anyway, I'd love to see a picture of the house and good luck to you!

RPS and Spaceage will probably have a suggestion or two on this topic, but we're all kinda busy right now getting ready for the lecture and exhibit this week.

Jason

Archived