SF BART vs. DC METRO

SF BART vs. DC METRO  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which modern day rapid transit system is better?

• SF BART
    • DC METRO

Both of these transit rail systems have a lot in common: they cover more than 100 miles long (BART 104 and METRO 106) of track making them the longest newly built rail systems in the 1970s-1980s of that length, they both incorporate automated train technology, serve the suburbs as combo-commuter-metrorail type systems and served as inspiration for lesser known newer rail systems in Atlanta, Miami, Bmore and LA.

But which one do you choose and like a lil better than the other??

Bay Area Rapid Transit

img_19755.jpg

map500.gif

or

Washington Area Metro Transit Authority (Metrorail)

img_34870.jpg

WMATA_system_map.gif

Having used DC's pretty extensively, I personally think its easy to use, but not quite as good as the surface would make it look. I do like how it reaches Reagan airport and all tourist sights easily. That, to me, is its strongest point. However, there are quite a few dead spots in DC that I'm guessing just weren't considered essential during construction and as a result, the Metro ends up being limited.

Two areas that are not serviced by it are Tyson's Corner and Georgetown. There are shuttles into Georgetown or you can walk across the bridge, but its still a traffic nightmare on M street. Tyson's Corner is understandable why it was left out, since most of the growth has probably been over the last 10 years. Still the sooner they get service there, the better. It seems to be where a lot of people work now.

Within DC proper, there are some areas where there is probably a good 20-30 minute walk to find a station. Obviously you can't cover everyone, but the point is that the Metro its not as extensive as New York's subway by any means

People I know that live there almost never take the metro. It still is a driving city, but mostly by choice. Which is better I guess, that there is an option, but its kind of ridiciulous that the NOVA population and even a lot of DC basically sees the Metro, knows it could probably get them close to where they need to go, but just chooses not to take it anyway. Not really a design flaw, but just strange.

The trains in DC are quite clean, too. I recommend some of you to go out there and check them out.

On this map, you don't have the new line going out to Dulles Airport. That line should be completed in a few years.

I'm in Northern Virginia now. I ride Metro alot and I love every minute of it. It is very easy to navigate on this system and easy to read. It stops at all the best attractions and it runs frequently and has alot of options. I never been on Bart, but Metro is great. I like light rail alot, but I wish the Texas Metros got on the heavy rail bandwagon more as well but it's just too expensive nowadays.

BART is more the commuter leg of the Bay Area's transit plan. MUNI picks up in The City, with a subway, electric and conventional bus service.

Basically, you can't really go anywhere in San Francisco on BART. It's great for going from The City to East Bay communities, though. Along Market St. you can easily transfer from BART to MUNI subway trains, all underground. I don't believe there's any service to Marin County, though. The only way there is via the Golden Gate Bridge or ferry.

So, yeah -- I guess DC is a little better designed, using the single subway system more extensively. SF is much more reliant on its mass transit, though, and it is more extensive, when you factor in all the options available (subways, bus service, trolley and ferry).

I like both a lot, but DC's Metro is much better for serving both commuter and local traffic. As dalparadise said, BART is really more of a commuter system, with very limited local connections within San Francisco. However BART is great for getting to and from SFO, as well as to destinations across the bay like Oakland and Berkeley. San Francisco's MUNI system is an excellent local service system. There are virtually no areas of San Francisco that MUNI doesn't serve well, and they operate a very diverse system of buses, trolley buses, light rail (underground subway, street-running, and at-grade dedicated right of way), streetcars, and of course, the historic cable cars.

I've used both systems extensively, and like both of them a lot. However, they are different and were built to serve different purposes.

Archived