Could Houston end up being the 3rd largest city by 2010 Census?

Unless Phoenix shoots past Houston for ranking, I'm afraid this is going to be the case: Houston is indeed on its way to third largest city ranking. Aside from having over 2 million residents, Houston is still swallowing whole parts of unincorporated Harris County primarily to the north (Cypresswood, Aldine and Woodlands) and the west (unincorporated Katy) when it comes to its city limits. And according to wikipedia, Houston did take in 400k Katrina refugees, pushing the population to 2.6 million :o people. With that combo, H-Town is bound to replace Chicago as the third largest city, which in turn has been replaced by LA as second largest since 1990.

What do you really think of this could possibly be happenin? And could we catch heat from Chitown for being larger than them when it comes to "density." Drop your thoughts.

Unless Phoenix shoots past Houston for ranking, I'm afraid this is going to be the case: Houston is indeed on its way to third largest city ranking. Aside from having over 2 million residents, Houston is still swallowing whole parts of unincorporated Harris County primarily to the north (Cypresswood, Aldine and Woodlands) and the west (unincorporated Katy) when it comes to its city limits. And according to wikipedia, Houston did take in 400k Katrina refugees, pushing the population to 2.6 million :o people. With that combo, H-Town is bound to replace Chicago as the third largest city, which in turn has been replaced by LA as second largest since 1990.

What do you really think of this could possibly be happenin? And could we catch heat from Chitown for being larger than them when it comes to "density." Drop your thoughts.

I wouldnt worry too much about Phoenix. The sort of growth they are experiencing cannot continue in the long run. Its a in a freakin desert. Cities need water and lots of it to sustain life. ;)

and you are forgetting another population growth engine. undocumented (illegal?) immigrants. whatever side of the fence you're on on this issue, there is no denying that they are also fueling the growth in population in houston. i'd dare say that we have more than 1M plus undocumenteds that no one is talking about (but i also believe the 12M figure that are in the usa currently is completely lowball).

and you are forgetting another population growth engine. undocumented (illegal?) immigrants. whatever side of the fence you're on on this issue, there is no denying that they are also fueling the growth in population in houston. i'd dare say that we have more than 1M plus undocumenteds that no one is talking about (but i also believe the 12M figure that are in the usa currently is completely lowball).

I don't really believe that's entirely true.

I worked for the 2000 Census did the Glenmont/Hillcroft neighborhoods (that was fun!) and 95% were totally complient. The ones that were NOT very complient were english speakers that I KNOW were american citizens (and their own wierd conspiracy theories on the census).

So I'm sure they were counted in the census and are included in the numbers.

My most touching moment is when I came across several families from Serbia. One family of 10 was staying together in a 2 bedroom apartment. One of them broke down crying after I was explaining what I was doing (some spoke excellent english!) and told his family, "See! EVERYONE is a person here, EVERYONE matters, God bless America and bless him for sending us here!"

I also sat back and listened to some of the horror stories from that region was deeply moved, it's one thing to be apathetic about regional conflicts, but it's different when you hear a child of 10 describe the massacre of his uncles in front of his eyes. In Detail.

Archived