Spaghetti Bowl Freeways In Houston

US59 and I-610, completed in 1962, Houston's first from what I understand. We called it the "Spaghetti Bowl," born in the 60's. When I moved away and saw the same thing in other places, no one could understand what we called the "Spaghetti Bowl" concept. Funny.

Whatever happened to 225 ending in Downtown.

My guess is that the Gulf Freeway put an end of that. It just wouldn't make much sense to have two highways going into downtown from the southeast. Anyone?

That would have been good for the East side commuters. Would it have demolished to many homes?

I would think so. Texas 225 (La Porte Road) went directly into Harrisburg and would have cut through Lawndale and maybe Mason Park. The Houston Country Club stood in the way, too.

My guess is that the Gulf Freeway put an end of that. It just wouldn't make much sense to have two highways going into downtown from the southeast. Anyone?

I would think so. Texas 225 (La Porte Road) went directly into Harrisburg and would have cut through Lawndale and maybe Mason Park. The Houston Country Club stood in the way, too.

It would've gone up Harrisburg and joined up with US 59 at the GRB. Was one of the only cancellations of the 70's anti-freeway movement in Houston. Probably for the better, although commuters using the Gulf Frwy. may disagree with me.

Whatever happened to 225 ending in Downtown. That would have been good for the East side commuters. Would it have demolished to many homes?

Read the section on it in the Houston Freeways book. The anti-freeway protesters actually won one.

www.houstonfreeways.com See pages 198-204

there is also a nice map on p199 of the planned route

according to houston freeways, the gulf freeway was the most travelled freeway until about 1970.

It was probably planned to relieve the congestion on the gulf freeway. after the population growth shifted westward and the completion of the ship channel bridge, it really wasn't necessary.

personally i think it would have gutted the east end of a lot of its character with not much return. it would have been much more tragic than the swath of 3rd ward/Riverside that 288 took down.

I heard Spaghetti Bowl in both Houston and Los Angeles. I also knew about Mixmaster in Dallas. Here in Denver, the I-70/I-25 interchange downtown is called "The Mousetrap" for some reason that I don't know.

I actually new of "Saghetti Bowl" in LA, but never in Houston until now. Guess ya learn something everyday.

• 4 weeks later...

In the Bay Area in Oakland, the interchange of I-80, I-880 and I-580 is called, get this, the MacArthur Maze. But Caltrans prefers the designation for losers: "Distribution Collector." The Maze also applies to three other interchanges within distance: I-880/980 DT Oakland, I-580/980/Hwy 24 and I-80/580 split in Berkeley. Wow.

• 2 weeks later...
In the Bay Area in Oakland, the interchange of I-80, I-880 and I-580 is called, get this, the MacArthur Maze. But Caltrans prefers the designation for losers: "Distribution Collector." The Maze also applies to three other interchanges within distance: I-880/980 DT Oakland, I-580/980/Hwy 24 and I-80/580 split in Berkeley. Wow.

Franco-American is good!

• The title was changed to Spaghetti Bowl Freeways In Houston

Archived