Gulf Coast Growth News

pineda

• 2 weeks later...

As this multi-cultural future unfolds, America will face levels of sprawl, traffic, pollution, and competition for economic and natural resources that it simply has never seen before.

Did y'all hear that? And y'all talking about sprawl here. :lol: gimmie a break. That's why I really didn't care about any sprawl happening, now in the future we will face sprawl like you never seen before.

That's exactly what the article was saying, houston is not doing good with sprawl, that's why it was stating that we need to grow in a better manner or else sprawl will end up making the whole U.S. a piece of concrete. Sprawl is a very big problem.

• 2 weeks later...

December 13, 2004

G U L F C O A S T G R O W T H N E W S

A publication of the Gulf Coast Institute

NOTABLE QUOTES

"Texas traffic is such that by the time a freeway expansion is complete, it is often just in time for the next needed expansion."

- Gov Rick Perry, writing in the Houston Chronicle, December 4, 2004. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/e...outlook/2930658

As a reader of the Gulf Coast Growth News, you have frequent easy access to local, state, national, and international news about the complex trends and issues affecting cities. With this knowledge, we can all participate in helping Houston achieve its potential as a great city.

Gulf Coast Growth News is produced and sent to you by the Gulf Coast Institute, which now needs your help.

The Board of Houston Endowment has challenged the Institute to raise $150,000 from the community we serve and they will generously match that amount. So far, we

• 4 weeks later...

to tell you the truth i really like sprawl. i like huge cities, LA is my favorite because it is so huge and it goes on forever. i went up in the hills in Hollywood at night and looked out over the city and it was just amazing how far the city goes on you cant see the end of it. we defantly have to be concerned about environmental risk but its really not that bad. we are going to need new means of transportation when are cities are so huge. and new technologies are going to make transportation alot easier. believe it or not flying cars are on their way and that will make travle between cites very easy. you can check the flying cars out at www.moller.com. mollers sky cars will be able to fly 350 mph and in 15 to 20 years will be afordable for most americans. NASA and the FFA are working on making a system of interstates in the sky. i know it sounds crazy and i probably sound like an idiot but if you check out the site it is a very real possibility

• 2 weeks later...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 24, 2005

NOTABLE QUOTES

"Transportation and land use development go together like Romeo and Juliet."

- Frank Wilson, President and CEO of METRO, speaking at a January 13 Urban Land Institute luncheon.

• 1 month later...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 24, 2005

NOTABLE QUOTES

"We're damn close [to the peak in conventional oil production]. I think we

Watershed group to work on coastal land use

EPA, NOAA partnership focuses on water quality impact of growth

The Texas Coastal Watershed Program (TCWP), a Texas A&M initiative, will work with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to ensure that growth within 50 miles of the nation's coasts, where 55 percent of the US population lives, benefits the economy, public health, and the environment. Announced at the 4th Annual New Partners for Smart Growth Conference in Miami, an EPA-NOAA Memorandum of Understanding on Coastal Community Development is offering ''training for local government staff and officials; outreach and education on successful policies, ordinances, and initiatives; and assessment of local development rules and policies.'' EPA and NOAA officials said this will help coastal watershed communities redevelop vacant land, provide more housing and transportation choices, preserve crucial natural areas, limit air and water pollution, and enhance overall quality of life. The TCWP is involved locally teaching municipal officials about the linkages between land use and water quality.

What's all this crap about sprawl being bad? The worst thing about sprawl is traffic. The environment, especially in West Houston, has benifited from sprawl. Developers have planted more trees than existing out there anyway. The storm water runoff from subdivision is much lower in chemical content than rural farmland. In many cases storm water runoff from a subdivision is less harmfull than that of a forest ground. I deal with these issues daily as a Hydrologic and Hydraulic engineer.

Don't let this "sprawl hurts the environment" crap get to you. It's mostly based in mis-reported science and dubious studies where the scientist knew the outcome of the study before he started. The same thing with most of the "Global Warming" crap.

So I say to you, enjoy driving your Hummers and SUV's. The only reason to get a hybrid or a small car is if you want to save some money on gas.

Until a reall scientific study is developed that acurately experiments will all the potential variables, I'm not going to accept these studies that draw conclusions on loose evidence.

The next sentence (from the link you provided) puts in an entirely different light, and suggest that you had a purposeful intent to mislead.
WTF? "Purposeful intent to mislead"? Are you referring to me, or to David Crossley, the author of Gulf Coast News?
Don't believe everything Michael Moore tells ya.
Again, :blink:
Or did I misintepret your intent, and you are actually advocating increased drilling for oil and gas?
I just linked to David's article, and I get all this grief from you? If you don't like it, don't read it next time! :P

Ok, sorry for reaching the wrong conclusion that you had included the quote, so my beef then is with the author of that pamphlet. But perhaps it suggests that the author is not credible and willing to misrepresent to advance his agenda.

• 4 months later...