Expanding FM 529

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

FM 529 is a major thoroughfare in Houston. It's the only highway connecting Copperfield-Bearcreek to DOwntown. WY 35 is being built up,SPur 330 is built up,Westpark is built up,S.Main is built up,HWY 90 is built up, so why not 529 be built up.

I say this freeway is called for. There is no way to get directly into COpperfield without going through lights. It's a major area with things and a major road(HWY 6). I don't know if Texas does it to FMs but they need to makke 529 a freeway. It would start at 289 and go to HWY 6. IF not atleast build asuperstreet like South Main where busineses are directly attatched to the mainlanes of the highway but there are overpasesses. Additional extension to The Grand Parkway would be optional. They could even make it a tollway to help fund it. The only problem is there are minor lights that don't need overpasses. Guess they'll have to be taken away.

FM 529 is a major thoroughfare in Houston. It's the only highway connecting Copperfield-Bearcreek to DOwntown. WY 35 is being built up,SPur 330 is built up,Westpark is built up,S.Main is built up,HWY 90 is built up, so why not 529 be built up.

I say this freeway is called for. There is no way to get directly into COpperfield without going through lights. It's a major area with things and a major road(HWY 6). I don't know if Texas does it to FMs but they need to makke 529 a freeway. It would start at 289 and go to HWY 6. IF not atleast build asuperstreet like South Main where busineses are directly attatched to the mainlanes of the highway but there are overpasesses. Additional extension to The Grand Parkway would be optional. They could even make it a tollway to help fund it. The only problem is there are minor lights that don't need overpasses. Guess they'll have to be taken away.

Jeez man...could you please review what you type?

529 has some ROW issues that would make it costly in certain places to expand...although in theory, I'd agree that if only for an evacuation route, it ought to have a parkway-like improvements with a bypass around Belville. This has been discussed in another thread though...so please search before you type in the future.

529 a major thoroghfare to downtown from Copperfield??

How many people really live in Copperfield/Bear Creek that need to go downtown?

Some yes but many people I know that move that far out work in the Energy Corridor/Westchase or even as far in as the Galleria.

I know some people that work downtown too, but that's their fault for having such a heinous commute.

Seriously Bear Creek area is only 5-10 minutes from I-10 and 529 isn't that far from 290.

While there is a lot of development out there, 529 IMO is still a long way from needing expansion into a freeway or superstreet.

Hell you chose to live out there (not flaming)... :wacko:

529 a major thoroghfare to downtown from Copperfield??

How many people really live in Copperfield/Bear Creek that need to go downtown?

You'll have to bear with Plastic. English isn't his cup of tea. Neither are maps.

529 ends at 290 near Jersey Village and Beltway 8. Presently, a resident of Copperfield/Bear Creek wishing to go generally east has pretty crappy choices all the way around. It would be very helpful for those residents to have the option of 529 as a "smart street" at the very least. It would even help them in getting to relatively nearby places like Westchase, Memorial City, etc. faster.

Fundamentally, peoples' time is equivalent to some amount of money. If you make access to these areas easier, home values go up throughout a fairly broad area in ways that are representative of the value of the saved time.

An additional benefit is the opening up of additional labor supply to employment centers further to the east (i.e. downtown/Inner Loop). The more people that businesses in employment centers can effectively draw from, the more desireable will be office space in those areas. So the freeway creates benefits to employers in the central city.

One last benefit is that by opening up these homes and land to easy freeway access, the consumer base that demands easy commutes (nearly everyone) is further satiated in the marketplace. As the supply of easily-accessed roads is increased, the price throughout the market decreases somewhat. Lower housing prices spur economic growth within our core employment sectors, sustaining the long-term viability of the Houston economy.

Of course, all of these impacts occur on a marginal basis when measured as a per-project impact, but as a matter of policy, corridors such as 529 should be consistently upgraded throughout the region in order to reap the socioeconomic benefits that I've cited.

Personally I'd like to see Highway 6 set up as an elevated toll road or smart street ala memorial spanning from sugarland area all the way around 1960 to 45 with mainlanes below for regular traffic flow to the business area...

i think the gap between 8 and 99 is way too wide...

99 is great for 25 years down the road but today its too far out.

Guest Plastic

Niche at one part you're saying freeways driv up house prices and at one par lowers them. Which?

ANd yes I've pondered highway 6 as a tollway. Theres not enough room for mainlanes and access roads. If HWY6 were it'd have to be a superstreet. I was thinking they should build a tollway just west of HWY 6 let it starts from HWY99 and Harlem Road and go all the way but 1960 to I-45. Infact they couldc all it HWY 6 and 1960 and let the current roads serve as business routes.

ANd although 520 from HWY6 to The Belt is a short distance it could take 5 minutes were now it takes 10 or 15. Lot of time saves when your're rushing to work or goign home.

Personally I'd like to see Highway 6 set up as an elevated toll road or smart street ala memorial spanning from sugarland area all the way around 1960 to 45 with mainlanes below for regular traffic flow to the business area...

i think the gap between 8 and 99 is way too wide...

99 is great for 25 years down the road but today its too far out.

I agree. TxDot messed up on this one. It would have been a whole loop, along with 146. Then Grand Parkway would be the fourth loop. TxDot should have made Highway 6 a freeway when they had a chance.

Niche at one part you're saying freeways driv up house prices and at one par lowers them. Which?

Both effects will be had, but in different ways and in different places.

Homes that have easier access to employment centers will rise immediately in value. This applies specifically to the Copperfield/Bear Creek area.

This affected cluster of homes and land then becomes more comparable to suburbs within the Houston area that have already had that greater level of accessibility. Because there are more homes within that range of comparability, the market for all comparable homes throughout the region would suddenly have more supply and prices would adjust downward.

The first effect would be far more noticable than the latter effect, which affects so many homes that it is barely noticed by any one home in the region. In Copperfield/Bear Creek, the net effect would be significant value increases.

Understand?

• 2 weeks later...

I have always wondered if they were ever going to build FM 529 past 290 through till Gulf Bank. Gulf Bank if im correct ends right before Senate Ave with stub outs @ Senate like it was planned to be built through. I doubt it would be built seeing as it goes through Jersey Village, not to mention they built a parking lot for a dealership and Dillard st where the ROW seemed to be. Anyone know if this was indeed ever planned. If they completed Gulf Bank in the few sections its not completed near Acres Homes/Inwood area and built 529 to Gulf Bank. You could drive 529 to Gulf Bank to I-45

• The title was changed to Expanding FM 529

Archived