Where In Houston For Green, Non-Cookiecutter Homes

I just came across this forum, and wished I had checked it out sooner. We have been looking for a place for over a month now, and are LOST.

My husband works in the medical center, and I work off Richmond and Kirby. We may move out of Houston on 3-4 years so resale is important. Elementary school is also important. And ofcourse safety.

We are not looking for a big place- a 2 Bedroom/ Den is good enough for us. And a small yard/ balcony- A view to some greenery.

Initially we thought townhomes were the answer. But the well designed ones are too sterile, or in questionable neighborhoods. Single family homes seem to be nicer when they are older. The new ones are too cookie-cutter.

We have now decided that commuting 8-10 miles is fine, as long as we get a neighborhood which is safe, green and well-connected.

Do advise! Our budget is between $200 and $250

Thanks!

I would scan HAR for both Westbury & Parkwest. Kolter & Parker elementaries are both good. Getting close in with a good elementary is one thing, but getting it under $250,000 narrows your options a bit. I think you will find the most options in there that will meet your criteria. Some of the houses can be bland, but there are some interesting ones too.

Some sections of Oak Forest might work as well.

You may want to check out some of the older bungalow houses. I'm not sure how the prices are now, but Bellaire and West U might have some nice small houses.

Another possibility is patio homes. I'm not sure of their availability, but a friend just bought one that seems similar to your specs. Her commute to downtown is approx. 25 minutes.

Good luck!

I just came across this forum, and wished I had checked it out sooner. We have been looking for a place for over a month now, and are LOST.

We may move out of Houston on 3-4 years so resale is important.

Bah.. I have no heart to help you if you're only looking to flip your home and high-tail it out of town.

Note that the OP said they MAY move out of town in 3-4 years. I'm guessing her husband is doing his residency or a post-doc at the med center - it can be difficult for a family to know what's going to happen once that's complete. The permanent positions aren't always available. But I may be guessing incorrectly, so I apologize for the assumption if that's the case.

That said, there are lots of charming older bungalows with lots of huge old trees in the Heights. However, for under $250 K you're looking at something that's going to need a ton of renovation, or is on a busy and/or marginal street. And probably you'll only manage to get a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath. I think the 77009 area code goes to Travis elementary, which has a good reputation. There are some townhomes scattered throughout that zip code as well, but I personally don't think they're all that nice looking :rolleyes:

Commuting to the med center from the Heights area is really easy (15-20 minutes by car, or you can take the bus and then the train), and it takes about 20 minutes for my husband to get from the Heights to Bellaire. We really love the neighborhood, and there are lots of families with young kids out and about in the evenings.

Good luck with your search!

• The title was changed to Where In Houston For Green, Non-Cookiecutter Homes

Archived