Rev Lawson compares Ken Lay to James Byrd

heights_yankee

WTF? How are these 2 men even close to the same? How can a man who was being tried in a court of law for legitimate crimes be even losely compared to a man who was dragged to his death behind a pickup truck for nothing more than being merely being born a different race? AND the comparison was made by an African American leader, no less. This is freaking Bizarro World...

From the Chronicle:

"More than 1,000 mourners gathered at First United Methodist Church, where Lay had been a member. They included friends, former Enron employees and erstwhile dignitaries, including former President George H.W. Bush, former Secretary of State James A. Baker III and ex-Houston Mayor Bob Lanier, who collapsed just before the service began and was taken by ambulance to St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital.

[Rev. William Lawson, pastor emeritus of Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church] likened Lay to James Byrd, a black man who was dragged to death in a racially motivated murder near Jasper eight years ago.

"Ken Lay was neither black nor poor, as James Byrd was, but I'm angry because Ken was the victim of a lynching," said Lawson, who predicted that history will vindicate Lay.

His comments, met by hearty applause, referred to Lay's recent federal trial on fraud and conspiracy charges stemming from Enron's unraveling in 2001 and four charges of bank fraud. Lay had planned to appeal his conviction and was awaiting sentencing when he died."

I read that in the Chronicle yesterday and about lost my lunch. I can't help but wonder about Lawson's mental stability after such a statement. I don't see how anyone in touch with reality could make such a statement.

I read that in the Chronicle yesterday and about lost my lunch. I can't help but wonder about Lawson's mental stability after such a statement. I don't see how anyone in touch with reality could make such a statement.

Especially an African American preacher.

Archived