Hitchcock Naval Air Station

lunchbox

Off of F.M. 2004, near La Marque/Hitchcock, there are two tall and wide beams on the East side the road. I believe that they are between I-45 and Hwy. 6. The last time I was out there I really couldn't find a road that lead to them (although I was looking very hard either). Does anyone know what they were or what I'm talking about?

Off of F.M. 2004, near La Marque/Hitchcock, there are two tall and wide beams on the East side the road. I believe that they are between I-45 and Hwy. 6. The last time I was out there I really couldn't find a road that lead to them (although I was looking very hard either). Does anyone know what they were or what I'm talking about?

maybe the blimp anchor towers from the old hitchcock blimp base?

they are just south of hwy 6 though.

From Google

The base was known as Camp Wallace during WWII. It was built by the government in 1943 at an estimated cost of $10 million. The base housed blimps used for coastal surveillance during the war. In 1950 it was purchased by oilman John W. Mecom. The hanger was used for manufacturing and storage until it was heavily damaged by hurricane Carla in 1961 and as a result it was torn down in 1962. The four door guide/support columns were left standing. The 100,000 sq. ft. building between the columns was built in the '70s and serves as a warehouse today.

This site gives some very interesting historical information about the airfield.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfie...E.htm#hitchcock

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I ride by there periodically, and I always wondered about the two large buildings that remained. I used to think they were abandoned mansions or something. One was restored, but the one in front of the large oval track (shades of Brunsville!) was left to deteriorate.

The tall posts always seem quite dramatic in the flat prairie. One of them is leaning a bit, maybe from the hurricane.

Anchor towers? Does that mean that ropes attached to the blimp were tied to those posts?

The original blimp hanger was made of wood and these four large concrete pillars were basically at the four corners of the blimp hanger, essentially making up the sides of the doors for each end. The four pillars were deemed too cost in-effective to remove and were simply left in place. The area is now being developed into a race track, due to open in the next month or two.

Kevin

The original blimp hanger was made of wood and these four large concrete pillars were basically at the four corners of the blimp hanger, essentially making up the sides of the doors for each end. The four pillars were deemed too cost in-effective to remove and were simply left in place. The area is now being developed into a race track, due to open in the next month or two.

Kevin

A car, horse, or dog (like Gulf) track? Or one of those RaceTrac/RaceWay gas stations?

The Hitchcock one was for Navy antisub blimps during WWII and the hangar was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961.

The one in Spring off I-45 was a base for the Goodyear blimp that was based here until the mid-80's.

Marty

• The title was changed to Hitchcock Naval Air Station

Archived