Dallas High School Football Teams

Ashikaga

I graduated from high school in Beaumont. I remember every year the football team would play about two games against schools in Houston and Pasadena. But Houston was 84 miles from Beaumont. Since Dallas is 245 miles from Houston, do high schools from Big "D" and The Bayou City play each other during the regular season?

• 1 month later...

I don't think schools from Dallas would play schools from Houston during the regular season, and the playoffs until the state Semi-Finals and/or finals. However, they could during the non distrct season, which is usually between Week 0 and Week 3.

Take a look at this.

This is the 5A district alignments. Region 3 is basically the "Houston Region." But district 15 and 16 have Houston area schools in them and are in region 2.

Back when I went to high school between 97/98, and 00/01, we were in District 16-5A, which was region 2.

During the 98 football year, we made it all the way to the state semifinals, and we never played anybody in the Houston area. I think we played Bryan, and Longview, and eventual State Champs Duncanvile. The only Houston area school we played in was the first round, which is called bi-district. We played the district 15-5A school, which was a Klein school. I can't remember which one. We could have/would have played another Houston school if Eisenhower beat Converse Judson from Region 4, and we beat Duncanville from Region 1.

Two years ago, they moved my school from 16-5A to 17-5A, and damn there are a bunch of Cy-Fair High schools.

Half of Region 1 and half of region 2 make up the D/FW high schools.

I don't think schools from Dallas would play schools from Houston during the regular season, and the playoffs until the state Semi-Finals and/or finals. However, they could during the non distrct season, which is usually between Week 0 and Week 3.

Take a look at this.

This is the 5A district alignments. Region 3 is basically the "Houston Region." But district 15 and 16 have Houston area schools in them and are in region 2.

Back when I went to high school between 97/98, and 00/01, we were in District 16-5A, which was region 2.

During the 98 football year, we made it all the way to the state semifinals, and we never played anybody in the Houston area. I think we played Bryan, and Longview, and eventual State Champs Duncanvile. The only Houston area school we played in was the first round, which is called bi-district. We played the district 15-5A school, which was a Klein school. I can't remember which one. We could have/would have played another Houston school if Eisenhower beat Converse Judson from Region 4, and we beat Duncanville from Region 1.

Two years ago, they moved my school from 16-5A to 17-5A, and damn there are a bunch of Cy-Fair High schools.

Half of Region 1 and half of region 2 make up the D/FW high schools.

I don't think it's likely that teams from Houston and Dallas will ever play in the regular season. Yes all the teams play several non-district games every year, but they're all fairly close by within a reasonable bus driving distance, and that's the key.

I may be wrong, but I think CyFair is now one of the largest school districts in the state. It's definitely the fastest growing. It now has eight high schools, and number nine is on the drawing board, if they can find a place to put it. CyFair can already qualify to be a UIL district all unto itself, but that won't happen. They will always have several non-district games on their football schedule, and they just won't play every district school every year.

I remember Dobie played West Orange Stark for years.

Yes they did, and West Orange Stark is only about a hundred miles from Dobie. That's not a great distance, as distances in Texas go. Dallas is 275 miles away, and that's just too far for a regular season game. Of course, all these economic "considerations" are forgotten when a team gets into the playoffs. They'd travel to El Paso for a playoff game.

Baytown Sterling plays Beaumont teams to this day. I remember those long road trips to Beaumont and Port Arthur, even longer on the way back if we lost. ;) We also played a couple of pre-seasons against Cy-creek, and Alvin. Ash, I think there are enough teams in the districts now that everyone can play relatively close to home.

Archived