Best Place for...

felamy

Where can I find overall reliable service and best prices for:

-Garage doors and openers

-Prefabricated Cabinetry or Semi-Custom

-Faux Wall Painting

-Custom iron works (entry doors and stair railings)

-Flooring (carpet, travertine, slate, marble, and granite)

-Countertops (granite and cultured marble)

-Door and bathroom hardware

-Epoxy garage floor coating

-Plumbing fixtures

This is my first time building a home and I just need a step in the right direction. As of now I just have been looking online and through phone books and local home publications to compile a list of potential contractors.

Any info would help! Thank you.

-Faux Wall Painting

-Plumbing fixtures

This is my first time building a home and I just need a step in the right direction. As of now I just have been looking online and through phone books and local home publications to compile a list of potential contractors.

I've found that the most effective, reliable technique is exactly what you're doing....find as many local forums/neighborhood mailing lists as you can, and ask for recommendations. However, even going through that pre-screening process, it is a fairly tedious process to find the best price/quailty contractor for each job....you have to have them all out, talk to them, get bids, etc etc.

Edited by jm1fd

The thing you also have to remember is that if you have a vision of a particular product, have a sketch on it and stick to it.

changing what you want midway is costly and drives everyone crazy. So be sure to have all that you want on hand down to the shade and size if applicable.

I have a cabinet maker I recommend, but he is always leary of people that want one thing, then want to pay for another.

-Faux Wall Painting

-Plumbing fixtures

I went through this last year so I will give you my opinion.

garage door and opener - very poor customer service from Wayne Dalton Garage Doors. They are a national company but I would NOT use them again. Check Overhead Garage Door Company, I think on South Main.

Countertop - Bolfing Brothers did a great job as granite fabricators. (281-351-7195). The granite was purchased from Richard Fuentes at IGM International Granite and Marble Corp. (713-690-1008). They were also great to deal with. Talk to them before Bolfing Brothers.

Lighting - great service from Carolyn Jordan at Lighting, Inc. (713-623-6500)

Wrought iron fences - My opinion only - run away from Art Fences. They advertise a lot but I had a really bad experience with them.

Appliances - Southwest Appliance on Shepherd. They spent a half day with me. Great Service. They also beat Conn's guaranteed low price.

Builder - Tom Tynan of Tom Tynan Homes. Great product. (800 Tom Tynan)

If you want to discuss the details of my experience of building in the Heights, PM me.