Good And Bad Subdivisions Near Westpark Tollway?

Import

Hi,

Can anybody give me a list of the good subdivisions within easy reach of Westpark Tollway - and the ones to be avoided?

We are looking to rent a good sized 4 bedroom single family home for $1400 or under so the likes of Cinco Ranch look to be out of the running... The acceptable homes I have found on HAR seem to be in places like Mission Bend, Westgreen Park or Memorial Parkway. Although I can place them on a map these names mean nothing to me as I don't know the area - I would appreciate any tips!

Thanks!

Hi,

Can anybody give me a list of the good subdivisions within easy reach of Westpark Tollway - and the ones to be avoided?

We are looking to rent a good sized 4 bedroom single family home for $1400 or under so the likes of Cinco Ranch look to be out of the running... The acceptable homes I have found on HAR seem to be in places like Mission Bend, Westgreen Park or Memorial Parkway. Although I can place them on a map these names mean nothing to me as I don't know the area - I would appreciate any tips!

Thanks!

i don't know what they rent for currently. but i owned a house in west oaks village. it is just in fort bend county at the corner of 1464 and the westpark tollway. it's a pretty diverse community, i don't know if that is a positive or a negative for you. i think it's worth checking out if it meets you're criteria. it's a decent neighborhood. i will say the high school it is zoned to is nothing special.

I live in West Oaks Village. We're paying exactly $1400.00 a month on a $148k home. Ours is 4 bedroom, 2 bath @ 2350sqft. I've noticed the prices here are starting to shift and climb a bit. They had declined, but I think that was "tollway-proximity" panic. Now that its here, everyone realizes that its a blessing for commuting. Also, with Twin Oaks going up next door with homes starting at $150k, it helps the values hold here, in a more established neighborhood.

As for schools, you're in Fort Bend County You have Barbara Jordan for your elementary. Rght now they are busing kids from Mission Bend in, but in two years they are re-zoning the school for just West Oaks Village & Twin Oaks. You have Hodges Middle School. Not the best of Fort Bend offers. Then you have George Bush. All the Mission Bend kids go to the same middle & high school as us, so its something to think about. I say this though as if they are as bad as the kids that say, go to Sharpstown or Wheatley.

I personally would avoid Mission Bend, Eaglewood, Anything with "Keegan" in it, & newly built Whither's Ridge . Other neighborhoods to look at besides West Oaks Village & Twin Oaks would be Providence & Kingsgate West (of SH6).

Good Luck!

Anything between 1464 and Beltway 8 on the south side of Westpark is like school during winter break, NO CLASS ! There are a couple on the northside of Westpark, that are a little pricey, but are decent, between 1464 and Beltway 8. i.e. Royal Oaks, and a couple of 'hoods that back-up off of Westhiemer.

Then going west past 1464, you have a lot of new home development on both sides that show promise.

Everything between the Beltway and 59 is junk, on either side. Stay Out !

Edited by TJones

Schools are not an issue right now, we are hoping only to rent for another year and our kids are still too young.

Diversity is also not a negative for us as long as the area is safe.

Anybody have any information about the 77450 zip code just west of Barker reservoir? I think it is Katy area but not actually Katy. All the online mapping tools show a route into town along the I-10 and Beltway 8 but it seems to me it might be quicker along Westpark Tollway. There are a few homes in that area in our price range.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, they are a great help!

Schools are not an issue right now, we are hoping only to rent for another year and our kids are still too young.

Anybody have any information about the 77450 zip code just west of Barker reservoir? I think it is Katy area but not actually Katy. All the online mapping tools show a route into town along the I-10 and Beltway 8 but it seems to me it might be quicker along Westpark Tollway. There are a few homes in that area in our price range.

Pretty much anything in the 77450 zip code, you will be safe. I live in this zip code, so all you pretty much have to worry about is me. :P

I grew up in that zipcode, parents still live there, and we live nearby. It's overall a great zipcode -very safe and good schools. Nottingham Country is a great subdivision in that zipcode if you can find anything in your price range. Memorial Parkway is okay too - some streets are better looking/ maintained than others, but it is safe and also has good schools. MP is less expensive than NC and more diverse, but both areas are good. There are many restaurants, stores, and activities close by. My husband and I want to move to that zip in a few years b/c we love the mature look (big trees), homes, and schools there.

Thanks! Good to know :-)

Nottingham will run ya $150k to $225k, West Memorial is about $100k to $150k, Cimmaron is about $100k to $150k, Govenor's place $130k to $170k. Memeorial Parkway $90k to $140k. If you want to rent, it goes generally around $850 to $1200 a month. If you are looking in Cinco Ranch, be prepared, they want a pretty penny, but there are some good deals in there.

Edited by TJones

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Slightly off topic, but speaking of West Oaks Village, does anyone know what the taxes are like??

Also, is there an easy way to find the tax info on different neighborhoods?? A website perhaps???

Thanks in advance,

- Zishan

Nottingham will run ya $150k to $225k, West Memorial is about $100k to $150k, Cimmaron is about $100k to $150k, Govenor's place $130k to $170k. Memeorial Parkway $90k to $140k. If you want to rent, it goes generally around $850 to $1200 a month. If you are looking in Cinco Ranch, be prepared, they want a pretty penny, but there are some good deals in there.

Try up north in Green Trails, too. They have some pretty nice homes in the similar price range above. They are also zoned to Taylor High School (Katy I.S.D.), which is a good, yet snobby school. Worse than Cinco, to me. They even have a parking garage for students.

Kelliwood also offers some nice homes in that area.

Try up north in Green Trails, too. They have some pretty nice homes in the similar price range above. They are also zoned to Taylor High School (Katy I.S.D.), which is a good, yet snobby school. Worse than Cinco, to me. They even have a parking garage for students.

Kelliwood also offers some nice homes in that area.

The parking garage is mainly used by staff and seniors last I checked. It was built b/c of need, not to spoil anyone. When they added onto the school a few years back, they took up most of the old parking lot. Since Taylor is in an established neighborhood there was no more room to expand out, so they had to go up or have very little parking. (I was a teacher in KISD for years. ) Taylor and Cinco are both great schools and I think you'd be happy with either. As far as the snob factor, I don't see that being worse at Taylor at all. Cinco is the more affluent school these days, but both have great academic reputations.

• The title was changed to Good And Bad Subdivisions Near Westpark Tollway?