I am assuming the city wants residents to maintain their own ditches?

I notice that mine has filled in over the years and not nearly as deep as other neighbors. Also, one culvert has filled in and grown over with turf and this will need to be dug out.

Anyone have any advice on things to plant in the ditch (ground cover) after the ditch has been "trenched" a little and the culvert opened up so that water can drain to the storm drains?

What have you done to maintain your ditch?

Obviously, the recent rains have made me realize our ditch has some "issues"....

No, but great thread, I've been wondering the same...

It has to be something that can take dry spells, but can also take flooding spells...I do see some homes with their ditch planted, and I like the look of it.

I've also wondered at simply covering the ditch, or putting in a standpipe and covering it. I'm sure permits are needed, right?

I've also wondered at simply covering the ditch, or putting in a standpipe and covering it. I'm sure permits are needed, right?

Very much so. As of January 1, the City requires any new construction in their Right of Way to include a 24 inch diameter culvert (concrete pipe). Note, this is larger than the 18 inch pipe that is currently there.

If the ditch is clogged or full of sediment, call 311 to ask the city to unclog it.

• 1 year later...

Continuing on this thread . . .

I live on one of those streets in the Heights which has ditches on either side. I've noticed that some residents have put in parking over the ditches as discussed above.

Does anyone have any experience with this on the permitting and/or construction end? It sounds like 24 inches is the new requirement on culverts. Any other advice? How long is the permitting process?

Also, has there been any tension among Heights residents regarding this type of modification? I have no particular reverence for ditches -- but I could imagine a scenario in which some residents may prefer the ditches to the parking.

Any information is much appreciated.

The word on the street (or perhaps in the ditch) is that the City is no longer approving permits to cover a ditch for parking. Technically, you can get a permit to cover the ditch only if you put a barrier of some sort to keep people from parking there. However, I have not talked to permitting to verify this. I have also heard that they really do not want to approve permits to cover the ditch at all.

So, you can't put a section of 24" pipe in your ditch and cover it over?

Sure you can, if nobody catches you. But, technically, you're supposed to permit it. If you get caught (my neighbor did, but proceeded anyway), you may have to dig it up.

Anyone have any advice on things to plant in the ditch (ground cover) after the ditch has been "trenched" a little and the culvert opened up so that water can drain to the storm drains?

The grass (St Augustine) in the bottom of the ditch in front of our house is ALWAYS the nicest greenest piece of grass in the yard. The city has regraded our ditches twice in the 5 years I've lived here, and the St Augustine fills in very quickly with all the moisture in the ditch.

As far as the City's issue with replacing ditches with culverts, it probably has to do with two issues: 1) maintenance/replacement costs, and 2) ditches can hold a lot more volume of water than can the culvert. Most nieghborhood roadside ditches I've seen act more as mini-detention ponds and don't convey water at any visible rate. Getting rid of half or more of the available storage volume in those ditches could have an appreciable effect on local drainage.

• The title was changed to Ditch Maintenance

Archived