One Way streets.....in the on the west side?

After driving extensively in the Montrose, Museum district, and Galleria areas yesterdayI have an idea,

In the Montrose, I was totally appalled on how easly traffic flow comes to a complete stop when people are trying to turn left, or suddenly murge into your lane in the montrose. The worst of this happens on W. Gray, Westhiemer, W. Alabama, Richmond, and Bissonnet.

As I started to drive more in the galleria (and west), I started noticing the exact same situations, but with a couple of slightly different twists; it seems like when turning to the left or even trying to cross certain streets, you're not able to because there is borderline gridlock caused by the same people that are trying to turn left.

I was stuck on Post oak for *3* signal changes to cross because some schmucks wouldn't, couldn't, or were unable to KEEP from being stuck in the middle of an interesection. (I swear, cops should start issuing tickets for that, but that's for another discussion)

Another culprit are people trying to do a U-turn from Richmond and westheimer on Sage, Fountain View, etc, and the various left turn lanes, once again distruption traffic flow and causing alot of close calls

My suggestion may seem either too extreme or too crazy.

Why not turn Westheimer, Richmond, Post Oak, Sage, and a few other ones into One way streets?

Left and right turns would have their own little lanes (with only Metro to suffer for it), cars coming from side streets would only be able to pick one way eliminating the complicated light dance we have now.

If you miss your destination, all you have to do is a series of lefts (or rights), to be able to get back to your intended destination.

Traffic on Streets listed on here is at capacity 12 hrs a day (16 during christmas season), and I believe it would greatly improve movement on them.

Once this is done, I'm sure a rail system would move more easily along these streets with fewer complications.

Whatcha' think?

Why not turn Westheimer, Richmond, Post Oak, Sage, and a few other ones into One way streets?

Actually somebody wrote to the Chronicle once suggesting something similar, but for the stretch between the Loop and Highway 6. Apparently TxDOT has debated turning Westheimer and Richmond there into one-way streets (Westheimer westbound and Richmond eastbound), but too many businesses objected: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...it/2995115.html

I don't see it working that well. Richmond and Westheimer are not exactly parallel, and while Westheimer is almost perfectly straight from West Alabama to Highway 6, Richmond curves back and forth through the corridor. For a pair of one way streets to work they really need to be completely parallel on adjacent blocks. Richmond and Westheimer are separated by several blocks of neighborhood streets that don't go all the way through West Houston and have lots of interruptions. Think of it this way. Downtown if you're coming in from the south headed northbound on Louisiana and want to get to a parking garage that has an entrance on Smith, which is southbound, you drive up to the next westbound cross street past your destination. You turn left, go one block to Smith, turn left, and then you're quickly at your destination. Now, on Westheimer and Richmond, which in some areas are more than a half mile apart, you may have to drive considerably out of your way to get to your destination. West Houston does not have the same type of grid system for streets that exists inside the loop, and many of the north-south streets that connect Westheimer and Richmond are small neighborhood streets. I just don't see such a plan ever being possible. Yes it would help rush hour traffic flow for people driving most of the distance in the corridor from Uptown to the West Oaks area, but for anyone who lives or works in the corridor, or anyone going to a business or home in the area, it would be a disaster.

I don't see it working that well.

I tend to agree with ssullivan's analysis.

I personally believe that the ideal solution is something like a set of small-scale interchanges. Examples presently exist at Lawndale and Wayside or at OST and Griggs. I'd propose that at major intersections along Westheimer, Richmond, and San Felipe, the major east/west routes be given a direct-route over/underpass at critical intersections (i.e. Shepherd, Kirby, Weslayan, Post Oak Blvd., Chimney Rock, Fountainview, etc.).

If the City was reluctant to pay for such improvements, perhaps the HCTRA could build the infrastructure and charge a small toll to those utilizing the under/over passes.

It'd be awesome if such improvements were made with elevated light rail above them, creating a kind of super-corridor on a relatively small ROW.

While I agree that Houston isn't built on an ideal grid system, something needs to be done along those two main arteries.

While I did not know that this was actually up for discussion at one point, I believe that it's still be the best way to go.

Business that are complaining that such a wide street would not be in their best interest, the odds are solid that people that would go to that particular business would already know how to get there. Therefore, if you miss the exit, it's your own damned fault.

Lord knows I've cursed many a time because I was trying to get to Doubletree Galleria and missed that damned median turn lane for a variety of reasons. did I keep on driving until I reached the Marriot Westchase? no. I sucked it up, and turned at the first opportunity to go there.

The same thing for any person trying to get to a business, you go there because they have something you want or are recommended to it by someone. Getting there usually involve directions and I'm sure there are SOME people that are bright enough to be able to figure that out.

As people get used to it, they'll be able to adjust to new traffic patterns.

Yes. People will whine. People will delicate flower, but as I have said in the past, it's better to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

As far as the streets named not being exactly parallel with each other, that's true, but it's really that major of an issue. There are enough streets cutting across to make navigation possible between the two streets to make an effective alternative route.

Putting light rail elevated, while a good idea, the commerce people in that area (I hope they develop boils in their asses) will howl in complete indignation on not only how UGLY it will be (in spite of any attempts to make it visually appealing), but the added construction would dissuade people from going into the corridor.

SOMETHING has to be done in that area or else, there will be a time when not even police control will be enough to prevent a major case of gridlock in the area.

Perhaps if a one way is started from Weslyan to points west on all mentioned streets might be fine.

Apart from the practical difficulties, I'm not convinced that traffic in the area is heavy enough to warrant one-way streets. Granted, some streets frequently back up, but it hardly seems to be approaching gridlock. If anything, I would like to keep the slow traffic on the stretch of Westheimer around Woodhead. That is the section where on-street parking is allowed, and there are a lot of small businesses and something approaching one of those "walkable urban environments". Imo, speeding up the traffic flow would hurt the businesses.

Apart from the practical difficulties, I'm not convinced that traffic in the area is heavy enough to warrant one-way streets. Granted, some streets frequently back up, but it hardly seems to be approaching gridlock. If anything, I would like to keep the slow traffic on the stretch of Westheimer around Woodhead. That is the section where on-street parking is allowed, and there are a lot of small businesses and something approaching one of those "walkable urban environments". Imo, speeding up the traffic flow would hurt the businesses.

Well,the TxDOT proposal involved a stretch much further to the west, between the West Loop and Highway 6. I checked this area with googlemaps and it seems that at least for Westheimer you have a lot of little side streets that would allow for u-turns withouth having to go all the way to Richmond. Although clear signage would be needed, of course. But isn't Richmond quite small around Wilcrest anyways? I think it was four lanes at best, and very slow.

But isn't Richmond quite small around Wilcrest anyways? I think it was four lanes at best, and very slow.

Yes, Richmond becomes four lanes just west of Rodgerdale (one block west of the Beltway) in Westchase. Rush hour traffic on weekdays along Richmond in that area is awful and has been for years.

the only other parallel street would be the briar forest-san felipe interchange, but making a primarily residential area road one way is extremely difficult for those residents.

likely royal oaks could be royally (excuse the pun) screwed if westheimer and richmond were made into one-way streets.

One-way streets would only be good for the innerloop. I don't see why it should be kept that way for just a handful of antique shops that need onstreet parking. Its dangerous to keep it configured so that a METRO bus is always coming head-on towards you on the wrong side of the road.

Archived