Texans Drawn To Rochester

Democrat & Chronicle article

Texans drawn to Rochester but repelled by tax burden

Geri Dellfava

(November 5, 2004) — On Saturday, Oct. 27, I had the pleasure of showing a nice couple from Austin, Texas, some homes in the west Irondequoit and Charlotte areas.

They had called me about a home I had listed, but it had sold. However, when we got to talking about Rochester and its change of seasons, they decided to make it one of their stops while traveling. They e-mailed me several times before they left, telling me how excited they were about their impending trip.

Their journey brought them through many towns and the weather was stormy, with rain almost every day. But, when they arrived in Rochester, it was autumn at its best — high 60s and sunny. I couldn't have asked for a better day.

I picked them up and drove down to Charlotte, showed them the ferry and told them about Abbott's (best ice cream ever) and LDR Char Pit (best onion rings in town). They loved the area, had never seen anything like it. Then, we drove around west Irondequoit and they loved the quaint looks of the homes there. I managed to get appointments quickly on three homes and they loved every one of them.

But they almost fainted when they found out what the taxes would be.

I explained the STAR tax abatement program — but they were still in shock. I also said that New York City has cost us tax dollars but they couldn't understand why all of New York should be burdened with higher taxes ... but that's just the way it is.

I drove them around Kodak Park when they questioned me about Kodak leaving the area (they had done their homework). I explained that Kodak is not leaving the area, it's just that the film industry has gone digital and Kodak is conforming to the needs of the consumer.

I told them about the buyouts that Kodak offered and that while I didn't feel it's good business to give employees money without their working, it helped many people move on to other careers. I described how Kodak Park used to be a "city within a city'' and how things have changed since then. I also said that I did not feel that these layoffs had affected the real estate market. The market has been strong and houses have sold for more money than ever.

They told me that they picked up from what I was saying a sense of pride in my community and that it is a community that cares. They felt that they would like to belong to such a place but didn't know if they could justify the rate of the taxes.

I let them "sleep on it'' and called them in the morning. I was hoping to show them a few more homes. They had ventured out the night before and found things cost more here and that even the gas prices were high in Rochester. They decided to leave right away and go back to Texas and think about it. I think they were just being kind. They thanked me a million times for showing them Rochester, but I told them that was just a start — there was much more to offer. However, in the end, I lost a sale, they lost a dream and the Rochester community lost some potentially good neighbors.

Dellfava is an associate broker with Nothnagle Realtors, Webster office.

Democrat & Chronicle article

But they almost fainted when they found out what the taxes would be.

I explained the STAR tax abatement program — but they were still in shock. I also said that New York City has cost us tax dollars but they couldn't understand why all of New York should be burdened with higher taxes ... but that's just the way it is.

Next time someone complains about high property taxes in Texas, count your blessings. At least we don't have the burden of having to support NYC (which the rest of the state views as fondly as an inoperable tumor).

actually, upstate new york would be in far worse shape if were not for new york city which pays out more than it receives from the state. i blame high taxes and an unfriendly business environment in upstate on the local governments and their perennially incompetent leadership not new york city. nyc is just a convenient scapegoat for upstate