Latest legal threat

editor

Photographs have been removed from a thread about Detroit in another section of HAIF because of a legal threat received from the owner of the images and filed with Pair Networks, the HAIF hosting company.

The specific complaint follows:

June 7, 2006

DMCA Notice to Pair Networks

To whom it may concern,

I am the owner of www.midwestwebsites.com.

My Contact Information:

Mr. Jonathan Krueger

Midwest Websites, LLC

W223 N4994 Eastview Dr

262-442-0882

The copyrighted work being infringed upon includes use of the Detroit

skyline photo used on the main page of our website through the use of

illegal hotlinking of the image. I am requesting that this material be

disabled.

The web page containing the infringed image via illegal hotlinking is:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...36511bc940aa19-

405bca3c64b82df4&showtopic=4724&pid=72971&st=0&

The photo in dispute is the first image (the image of the Detroit

skyline). As you can see by rightclicking the image on

houstonarchitecture.info, they are directly linking to the image on

our server. We use this image on the main page of our website

http://www.midwestwebsites.com Although we did not take the photo

ourselves, we did purchase the rights to use it on our website from a

stock photo website.

The information in this notice is accurate, under penalty of perjury.

Jonathan Krueger Date: 6/7/2006

For those of you wondering what "W223 N4994" means in an address, it is "fire coordinates" used to denote an address for someone living in extreme rural Wisconsin. You wouldn't know this from the complaint filed by Mr. Krueger because he did not send Pair Networks his complete address. Possibly because he's ashamed of where he lives. The phone number he lists is a Verizon Wireless cell phone he bought in a suburb of Milwaukee, but the address he lists doesn't match up to anything in that area, so one could theorize that he's some college kid who bought a phone while at school, and is now at home working on his business.

Anyway, just a reminder -- it is a violation of our terms of service to post copyrighted information on HAIF. Link away, but posting is a legal problem for us.

Photographs have been removed from a thread about Detroit in another section of HAIF because of a legal threat received from the owner of the images and filed with Pair Networks, the HAIF hosting company.

The specific complaint follows:

For those of you wondering what "W223 N4994" means in an address, it is "fire coordinates" used to denote an address for someone living in extreme rural Wisconsin. You wouldn't know this from the complaint filed by Mr. Krueger because he did not send Pair Networks his complete address. Possibly because he's ashamed of where he lives. The phone number he lists is a Verizon Wireless cell phone he bought in a suburb of Milwaukee, but the address he lists doesn't match up to anything in that area, so one could theorize that he's some college kid who bought a phone while at school, and is now at home working on his business.

Anyway, just a reminder -- it is a violation of our terms of service to post copyrighted information on HAIF. Link away, but posting is a legal problem for us.

OUCH. What a bummer. I think we try to link as much as possible, but sometimes it is too easy to cut n paste. I will make more of an effort. If you lose we all lose !!! Thanks for the heads up.

You mind if we call Mr. Krueger and inform him as to how much of a turd he is for not just politely emailing you and asking that a moderator remove said picture(s)?

(Don't worry, I'm not actually going to call.)

If you do a search on the person's name associated with the midwest business noted above, and add the word "sheep" to the search attributes, you will find that you will get 10 hits. In fact, searches which include Mr. Krueger with other farm animals - such as chickens, camels, and yaks - also produce similar results. Coincidence? I think not.

If you do a search on the person's name associated with the midwest business noted above, and add the word "sheep" to the search attributes, you will find that you will get 10 hits. In fact, searches which include Mr. Krueger with other farm animals - such as chickens, camels, and yaks - also produce similar results. Coincidence? I think not.

Pictures please !!

I suggest a vigorous email campaign to Farmer John, to flood his dumb@$$.

An interesting idea, but not really possible. His web site is registered through an anonymous company. There is ZERO contact information on his web site -- no address, no phone number, bothing but web forms. And in fact his "hosting company" doesn't appear to actually host anything -- he's just a reseller for The Planet.

i had bandwidth problems on my site. the worst problems were folks

using my scans for ebay. that really sucked due to the high request count.

i would replace the photo (updating the one on my site) to something funny

like a burnt item or possibly a newborn baby with "free shipping!" typed

over it.

i've seen an incidence of "bandwidth theft" on HAIF were the website's

owner switched out the photo with something really nasty and it was

removed by a moderator.

i usually just watermark the images and it brings people to the site.

that guy is a jerk, what does he accomplish by the letter?

makes him feel more important, i guess?

Archived