I noticed a few days ago that the Blockbuster on Westheimer just due West of Gessner has closed its doors. The sign was taken down and I saw some work being done on the space this morning.

I guess the Netflix generation is taking over... > :)

Granted that location was not their best, but it had been a successful store for probably 12 years or so.

I wonder if this will start to be the norm. 10 years ago there was a video store in half the centers out there. Then the strong overtook the weak and then consiladtion occured and now I see fewer and fewer.

Maybe they are staying status quo, but I definetely am not seeing many new stores pop up.

Anyone have an opinion on this matter ^_^

They've also closed our Blockbuster at OST and Scottcrest (Scott Street). I think that happened about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The nearest Blockbuster is now all the way down at OST and Kirby.

I remember when the OST/Scottcrest Blockbuster went in in the early 90's while I was at UH. It was around the same time as the "Renaissance Center" at Scott and OST, when the HEB Pantry was built.

I got to see a Blockbuster born, live and die. Wow. ;)

My wife is very heartbroken -- me, I don't watch movies. Total waste of time, in my opinion. My time is better spent spreading my vast knowledge on internet message boards.

They've also closed our Blockbuster at OST and Scottcrest (Scott Street). I think that happened about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The nearest Blockbuster is now all the way down at OST and Kirby.

I remember when the OST/Scottcrest Blockbuster went in in the early 90's while I was at UH. It was around the same time as the "Renaissance Center" at Scott and OST, when the HEB Pantry was built.

I got to see a Blockbuster born, live and die. Wow. ;)

My wife is very heartbroken -- me, I don't watch movies. Total waste of time, in my opinion. My time is better spent spreading my vast knowledge on internet message boards.

I am more of an everyman. I waste my time with Tivo, Netflix, and Internet Message Boards. I also like Booby Bars (read enough posts here and you will get that one). :D:D:D:D

I used to stop in that Blockbuster at Westheimer and Gessner reguarly when I worked just down the street from it and lived in Westchase. Around 2000-2002 it did a booming business on weekends, even with other Blockbuster locations just a few miles to the east and west on Westheimer.

I joined Netflix in early 2003. I think I've been in a video store maybe three or four times since then, usually when I wanted to get something immediately because I wanted to watch it that night. On the other hand, I've rented hundreds of DVDs from Netflix in the last three and a half years.

I used to stop in that Blockbuster at Westheimer and Gessner reguarly when I worked just down the street from it and lived in Westchase. Around 2000-2002 it did a booming business on weekends, even with other Blockbuster locations just a few miles to the east and west on Westheimer.

I joined Netflix in early 2003. I think I've been in a video store maybe three or four times since then, usually when I wanted to get something immediately because I wanted to watch it that night. On the other hand, I've rented hundreds of DVDs from Netflix in the last three and a half years.

I am the same way. I have been a netflix member since 2003 and have been to a video store about the same amount of times. Almost everyone I know is a member of Netflix. I found some great movies and documentaries that I would have never found at a brick and mortar store. I think we are starting to be a majority and the brick n mortars can not compete. Although I have heard that netflix is still unprofitable. They lose money on a customer if they rent more than 4-5 movies a month. I probably go through 15. :D

I think what we're seeing with video rental stores is the same thing that is happening with radio.

Big companies moved in and bought up or forced out the mom-and-pop shops. In the process, they homoginized the selection, the service, and the experience. Video stores were no longer special places you looked forward to visiting to uncover some unknown gem. Instead, they became a commodity, a service like water or electricity -- always expected to be there, but not necessarily exciting. No value added.

Then the big chains were all that was left, and started reducing the number of outlets in order to maximize the profit from the ones that remained (just like every market has an officially licensed "Mix" station). It doesn't matter if you have to drive a little farther -- what choice do you have?

Then came Netflix, which like satellite radio, became the alternative to the big conglomerates. Though everyone has the same experience, the selection is much deeper and therein lies the added value and individuality. Little choice became more choice for everyone. The rental companites tried to fight back (Blockbuster Online) the same way the terrestrial radio companies did (Clear Channel owns a big chunk of XM), but simply didn't get it.

In short -- get used to seeing fewer video rental stores.

So Blockbusters are closing here in Houston, too. Big loss (yawning)

I've stayed away from Blockbusters since the time they claimed I never returned a certain DVD, which *was* returned, and on time, too, and they made me pay $35 for the "missing" DVD. I suspect it was either employe theft or some secret practice cooked up by Blockbuster to generate extra revenue.

Perfect example of what editor is saying is the closing of Cactus, which had a really individual selection of videos. Rentals were hurt not only by the big chains going too corporate and by Netflix, but also because more people just buy DVDs now instead of renting. Houston Business Journal mentioned that the Hollywood video stores are going to start reducing their size by almost half. The downsizing will start this summer.

So Blockbusters are closing here in Houston, too. Big loss (yawning)

I've stayed away from Blockbusters since the time they claimed I never returned a certain DVD, which *was* returned, and on time, too, and they made me pay $35 for the "missing" DVD. I suspect it was either employe theft or some secret practice cooked up by Blockbuster to generate extra revenue.

I have had no less than 10 DVD's get "lost" in the mail, but Netflix has never charged me for a one. They are great in that regard.

Netflix for President. :lol:

I will never darken the door of a blockbuster ever again....I had switched to Cactus several years back after block buster consistantly had such a terrible selection...and repeatedly charged for late or missing movies which were neither late OR missing...

after cactus closed we gave in and subscribed to netflix...it's been good so far and their selection has more in it than i could ever imagine. (but i have to say that after our trial time was up, movies in our queue all of a sudden stated "long wait" and that sort of thing...i think there is a conspiracy in there somewhere)

If i want a movie for a particular night and my next netflix is in the mail, the little dvd vending machines at grocery stores and various places are pretty cool too....

but never will i go in a blockbuster

I will never darken the door of a blockbuster ever again....I had switched to Cactus several years back after block buster consistantly had such a terrible selection...and repeatedly charged for late or missing movies which were neither late OR missing...

after cactus closed we gave in and subscribed to netflix...it's been good so far and their selection has more in it than i could ever imagine. (but i have to say that after our trial time was up, movies in our queue all of a sudden stated "long wait" and that sort of thing...i think there is a conspiracy in there somewhere)

If i want a movie for a particular night and my next netflix is in the mail, the little dvd vending machines at grocery stores and various places are pretty cool too....

but never will i go in a blockbuster

When I was in Barcelona we needed some late night viewing(the TV channels were crap) I signed up with a 24hr rental place( it was like a bank vestibule but with 3 machines{ATMish} that allowed you to choose from a huge selection from the back room. Just add money to your card, select movie, machine spits it out and go). The guy there during the day said that Blockbuster went bust in Spain due to video piracy, but they were able to survive due to there low rates, huge selection, and 24 hr access. Later we found several of these places here in Manchester.

I

• 1 month later...
Big companies moved in and bought up or forced out the mom-and-pop shops. In the process, they homoginized the selection, the service, and the experience. Video stores were no longer special places you looked forward to visiting to uncover some unknown gem. Instead, they became a commodity, a service like water or electricity -- always expected to be there, but not necessarily exciting. No value added.

We still have Audio/Video Plus (1225 Waugh and 5909 Richmond), which has lots of obscure old VHSes and other old media. I'll see if they have Battle Royale...

When I was in Barcelona we needed some late night viewing(the TV channels were crap) I signed up with a 24hr rental place( it was like a bank vestibule but with 3 machines{ATMish} that allowed you to choose from a huge selection from the back room. Just add money to your card, select movie, machine spits it out and go). The guy there during the day said that Blockbuster went bust in Spain due to video piracy, but they were able to survive due to there low rates, huge selection, and 24 hr access. Later we found several of these places here in Manchester.

I

How much you wanna bet that Blockbuster will move its Headquarters? Blockbuster is losing millions of dollars (probably billions), that's why they closing down some of their nonperforming stores. I know they closed the one down by me on I-45 and Crosstimbers.

I use to be a Netflix member until I've got laid off from work. That's sucks! But, I've have plans to rejoining them very soon. I was getting movies back to back everyday. I was loving it.

Edited by houstonsemipro

We still have Audio/Video Plus (1225 Waugh and 5909 Richmond), which has lots of obscure old VHSes and other old media. I'll see if they have Battle Royale...

The Audio/Video Plus on Richmond closed down a month ago.

I think everyone is going to get rentals from those $1 machines at McDonalds, HEB, and Kroger. :rolleyes:

The Audio/Video Plus on Richmond closed down a month ago.

I think everyone is going to get rentals from those $1 machines at McDonalds, HEB, and Kroger. :rolleyes:

Oh, it did? I had no idea (since Richmond was still listed). - But at least we still have the Waugh location.

Renting movies from a vending machine at McDonalds is just tacky. It's not even fun.

NetFlix just seems kinda boring also. If I'm gonna do that, I might as well download movies online for free.

I'll go to Audio Video Plus (AVP) where I can get good movies with an amazing selection.