Raider Ranch: 28-Acre Retirement Community At Milwaukee Ave. & 43rd St.

mrfootball

Raider Ranch Developers see big demand for active adult community

Target Booming

BY CHRIS VAN WAGENEN

A-J BUSINESS EDITOR

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/06040...060406028.shtml

I&S Investments will break ground later in the fall on Raider Ranch - a 28-acre retirement community that will be constructed off the southwest corner of Milwaukee Avenue and 43rd Street.

The $53 million project takes aim at baby boomers, many of whom will retire in massive numbers in the next few years in search of a final nest.

"This will be one of the nicest senior living centers in West Texas," said I&S principal John Sellers, whose group has partnered with Lubbock attorney B.J. Huey and an unidentified Dallas developer.

Raider Ranch will be a self-contained senior master-planned community that features 80 single-story villas, 120 condominiums, a fitness/wellness center and an assisted-living center.

49713_512.jpg

Raider Ranch developers have planned a two-story, 25,000-square-foot community center that will feature a lap pool, media/theater room and game rooms, among other amenities.

The development will be constructed just south of Milwaukee Ridge, a single-family addition also being developed by I&S at the southwest corner of Milwaukee Avenue and 36th Street.

Sellers said I&S has engaged an unspecified Dallas company that specializes in and has developed 50 similar active adult communities.

"There are 77 million baby boomers out there who will start entering the retirement market next year. That market is only going to be stronger," Sellers said.

Huey said 30 percent of Lubbock adults are already 55 or older. "Based on the studies we've done, we think this is something that's needed right now," he said.

Sellers said Raider Ranch will compete with continuing care retirement communities - also known as life-estate communities - that exist in Lubbock and across the nation.

49714_512.jpg

Raider Ranch developers intend to build a total of 120 condominiums and a huge community center.

He said unlike a life-estate community, where the estate is limited to the life of the party holding it, I&S intends to sell its villas and condos. They then become the property of any named heirs.

"Baby boomers don't want to pay $100,000 or $200,000 to move in and never see that money again. We think our product will be comparable in price to what life-estate (communities) offer," he said.

Sellers said he embraced the idea based on an experience he had with his late grandmother.

"We just couldn't find anything around here (in Lubbock), so we ended up moving her to Amarillo," he said.

Huey said Raider Ranch will provide a variety of packaged and other a-la-carte services, from meals and housekeeping to scheduled transportation and emergency response systems.

"But no one will be required to buy anything once they're here," he said.

49711_512.jpg

These fashionable one-story villas, each featuring their own garage, will be built in clusters.

Huey said Raider Ranch will engage a full-time management company and will also make use of a homeowners association once the development is substantially complete.

I&S plans to construct two four-story towers housing 120 two -and-three-bedroom condos ranging in size from 1,050 square feet to 1,400 square feet.

The condominiums will be connected to a two-story wellness/fitness community center that will feature a lap pool, media/theater room, club rooms and a library.

Huey said an on-site bank/travel center, a nail salon and beauty salon are also in the works for the development.

I&S also plans to develop two man-made lakes, walking trails and a tennis/sports court.

In addition to the condos, I&S plans to develop 80 two -and three-bedroom villas ranging in size from 2,000 square feet to 2,500 square feet.

Huey said each unit will also have its own garage.

Other plans call for the construction of an on-site 110-room assisted-living facility.

I&S said it plans to break ground on Raider Ranch sometime in late October or early November.

Sellers said what I&S and its partners are attempting to create is a self-contained community.

"We want this to be a place where residents are content. It's a great idea and a great concept that's overdue in Lubbock," he said.

For more information, visit www.raiderranch.com.

To comment on this story:

chris.vanwagenen@lubbockonline.com 766-8744

karen.brehm@lubbockonline.com 766-8706

There's so much growth now along the new addition to Milwaukee Ave.

I'm really excited about the Canyon West project.

Can you tell me about the Canyon west Project. I heard that white horse canyon was to be damned. Is this part of that"

Thanks

Tech Grad here

Can you tell me about the Canyon west Project. I heard that white horse canyon was to be damned. Is this part of that"

Thanks

Tech Grad here

Canyon West is going to be a huge shopping and entertainment center along the Brownfield Hwy. at the intersection with Milwaukee Ave. I drove by the other day, and the land has been cleared and they've started construction on a Target that is set to open in October.

There's more infomation here:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=4222

Canyon West is going to be a huge shopping and entertainment center along the Brownfield Hwy. at the intersection with Milwaukee Ave. I drove by the other day, and the land has been cleared and they've started construction on a Target that is set to open in October.

There's more infomation here:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=4222

Thanks,

I have always wondered why there isnt some nice upscale construction along the canyon running though Lubbock. Instead it is relegated to bad commercial and warehouse.

Thanks,

I have always wondered why there isnt some nice upscale construction along the canyon running though Lubbock. Instead it is relegated to bad commercial and warehouse.

Canyon West isn't really going to be near any canyons though...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Raider Ranch: 28-Acre Retirement Community At Milwaukee Ave. & 43rd St.

Archived