Houston Lunches A New National TV Network In Spanish

New Spanish TV Channel, LAT TV, Launches in 5 Cities; Family Focus, Fresh Programming Target 18-49 Market

HOUSTON, May 17 /PRNewswire/ -- The race to capture Latino television viewers is heating up as a new competitor enters the market. LAT TV, a Spanish-language television channel launching initially in five major markets, will offer culturally diverse programming produced in the home countries of its targeted viewers. LAT TV will debut May 19 in Austin (KVAT-17), Dallas/Fort Worth (KJJM-34), Houston (KCVH-30), Phoenix (KVPA-42) and San Antonio (KISA-40) -- serving 5.2 million Hispanics and 17.4 percent of the U.S. Latino population ages 18-49.

"We are providing quality programming currently not available to Spanish- language audiences," said Rocky Springstead, LAT TV president and chief executive officer. "Our mission is to engage viewers and their communities in each of our markets by providing unique content while bringing a touch of viewers' homelands to their new lives." The station is available free, requiring only an antenna.

With headquarters in Houston, LAT TV offers high quality programming from producers and independent distributors in Latin America, Europe, Mexico and the U.S. that is inclusive of all Latinos. LAT TV stands alone in its unprecedented commitment to the local community. Approximately one-and-a-half hours a day of programming are reserved to educate and motivate viewers about local community issues in addition to Noticias LAT TV providing local, national and international news.

Full story here: http://www.prnewstoday.com/release.htm?cat...AW02917052006-1

I wonder will they produce any shows in Houston like a spanish language talkshow, a national news cast, soap opera etc.

Edited by citykid09

I find it interesting that they chose Houston to put their HQ in.

Do y'all think that this is going to be a trend of maybe having just as many Spanish TV networks as there are in English?

My mother watching alot of spanish TV and I'm amazed at the type of crap they put on there.

as an Aside, the spanish version of "cheaters" (Secretos!) his HYSTERICAL!

While I applaud their initiative, there's a little more hype in this press release than I'd like.

First, no matter how much you love it, Austin is not a major market. Austin is market #53, and accounts for 0.535% of the televisions in the United States.

Second, KJJM-LP/Dallas-Mesquite is not a full television station. It is an LPTV, so it's low-power and not available on many cable systems. In fact, the majority of Dallas can't see it. It doesn't even go to either downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. It won't be on many cable systems, either because of its status as an LPTV with a poor signal.

KCVH-LP/Houston is also low-power, but at least it gets into downtown. But not the East End.

KVPA-LP/Phoenix hits just the western side of the city, and not much else of the market.

KISA-LP/San Antonio actually seems to have a pretty decent signal. It doesn't cover the whole market, but it appears to hit a good portion of the city at least.

So, why all this nit-picking about signals in this age of cable and satellite television? Two reasons -- 1, because it seriously undermines their claim to reach 5.2 million Hispanics. If they can't see you, they're not being served. 2, Hispanics are far less likely to have cable or satellite television than the general population. For whatever reason (economic, tradition, whatever) the majority are on antenna. Heck, that's true in almost every city (Chicago, for example, is something around 55% antenna). But for Hispanics as a demographic, it's more true. So your over-the-air signal becomes even more important. 3, Those Hispanics who aren't over-the-air are more likely to be on satellite than cable. Again, dunno why, those are just the facts. I assume it's because Dish and (probably) DirecTV offer many extra channels of Spanish content than most cable providers. But as anyone with satellite and an HDTV knows, the sat companies are very reluctant to open another channel to relay the locals. Think of the huge battle and wait to get local HD over satellite in Houston. LPTVs have an even harder time getting carried.

What can LAT-TV do? Not much. Buying a full-power television station is expensive, and because of pending FCC decisions most companies haven't been in a selling mood for the last five years. If I was starting up a new network, I would probably do the same thing they are -- set up on a bunch of LPTVs around the country. I'd also do an internet channel. LPTV's aren't worthless; all of the big networks have affiliates in small markets that are LPTVs. It's just something you have to do to make sure you reach as much of the country as possible. But LPTV's shouldn't be mistaken for a full signal station. They operate under different, sometimes very restrictive rules. For example, an LPTV station can be bumped off the air by a full station if that station wants that channel for its digital signal or some other reason.

Still, I say good for them for trying. In this economy it's a bold move. If they can muddle through until things turn, they will have laid a good foundation to build upon. My only suggestion is to buy a full signal TV station as soon as possible to serve as the flagship, even if it's not in Houston. A bunch of shop-at-home stations are about to go up for sale. This could be their chance.

Which ones, and why?

I wonder is the news cast they shoot for the channel based out of Houston?

I believe the ones that were owned by Scripps-Howard. They've decided to get out of the shop-at-home thing altogether.

Looks like in Houston it's the service carried on KZJL, channel 61.

It's hard to tell who KZJL is owned by since the FCC record lists a holding company (not uncommon, KHOU does that, too). If KZJL is owned by Scripps then it could become available for something. It's at least a full-power station.

• The title was changed to Houston Lunches A New National TV Network In Spanish