KVJM Flips To Spanish Music

citykid09

The other day I turned on the radio and had in on V-103. All I heard was Mexican music so I changed the station and thought nothing of it because sometimes that station messes up and you can here other station mix in. But after a week of Spanish music, I have come to find out that V-103.1 (KVJM) was bought by Clear Channel Radio and fliped to Mexican music. Don't they already have enough stations? This leaves Bryan/College Station with no Urban radio Station. Do you guys think we will get another?

CC didn't put out a press release about flipping KVJM/Hearne to Spanish, but it's in your local paper.

Spanish station hits the local airwaves

By LAURA HENSLEY

Eagle Staff Writer

A new Spanish radio station is on the air in Bryan-College Station.

La Preciosa 103.1 FM replaced urban channel KVJM on the radio dial last week after Clear Channel purchased KVJM from Houston-based Equal Access Media Inc. Officials with both companies declined to give the purchase price.

La Preciosa joins three other Clear Channel-operated stations in the Bryan-College Station market, KAGG Aggie 96 FM, KNIX Fox 99.5 FM and KKYS The Mix 104.7 FM. The communications giant owns more than 1,200 radio stations in the United States.

KVJM radio, formerly known as V 103 Jamz, started locally in 1999 and played hip hop and rap music.

La Preciosa will broadcast Spanish-language hits from the '70s, '80s and '90s with music by artists such as Los Bukis, Vicente Ferdandez, Los Freddy's and Juan Gabriel.

A syndicated morning show called "El Genio Lucas" will be on from 6 a.m. to noon Monday through Saturday. It will be hosted by Alex Lucas, a No. 1 rated morning radio host based in California.

One other Spanish radio station exists in Bryan-College Station - Radio Alegria 1240 AM.

Leslie Bass, general manager of Clear Channel's local stations, said a growing Hispanic population has created a need for more Spanish radio programming.

"It just gives more variety in the market," she said. "There are so many formats for English speakers. Spanish has several formats as well."

Im not suprised KVJM was bought out, I always thought it was a lower grade radio station. Although I like urban music, after listening to Hot 93.3 in Austin and 97.9 out of Houston you could see V103.1 was a cheap operation. Hopefully when another urban station surfaces here, and im sure one will, it will be better quality. I miss Houston's Hot 97.1, they had to change the format to Country several years ago. If it means anything to you, KNDE Candy 95.1 plays a pretty good urban lineup at night, mainly after 10pm on weeknights.

Im not suprised KVJM was bought out, I always thought it was a lower grade radio station. Although I like urban music, after listening to Hot 93.3 in Austin and 97.9 out of Houston you could see V103.1 was a cheap operation. Hopefully when another urban station surfaces here, and im sure one will, it will be better quality. I miss Houston's Hot 97.1, they had to change the format to Country several years ago. If it means anything to you, KNDE Candy 95.1 plays a pretty good urban lineup at night, mainly after 10pm on weeknights.

I liked Hot 97.1 out of Houston too. It came in really good in Bryan-College Station compared to 97.9 the box. That was the station I listen to every morning. then they left and Hot 93.3 out of Austin came and you use to could here that really good here to but now you can't here it at all unless you are going towards Austin on highway 21. Then Candy 95.1 came. I had heard thst B-CS was getting a new station, but I never expected them to play urban music at all. then one day I was at home the first week the station launched, and was filping through the radio and heard urban music on a station that I had never heard of. I kept it there and the played urban after urban. Then finally I think I heard a pop song and relized that it was an urban station.

I'd almost bet the next urban station will be owned by Clear Channel in B/CS. The only other multi-station competitor would be Bryan Broadcasting (KNDE Candy 95.1 FM/KZNE The Zone 1150 AM) but Candy 95's playlist has a mix of urban, so I doubt that they would open a new urban station and turn 95.1 into all pop. That would pretty much be a clone of Mix 104.7.

I'd almost bet the next urban station will be owned by Clear Channel in B/CS. The only other multi-station competitor would be Bryan Broadcasting (KNDE Candy 95.1 FM/KZNE The Zone 1150 AM) but Candy 95's playlist has a mix of urban, so I doubt that they would open a new urban station and turn 95.1 into all pop. That would pretty much be a clone of Mix 104.7.

I will complain and complain until we get a new one.

I thought we would always be able to here Tom Joyner, Doug Banks, and Russ Parr here in BCS.

I know I've beaten this horse almost to death in other threads, but it sounds like it's time for you to investigate satellite radio. I believe both services let you sample their music streams online before you buy.

I know I've beaten this horse almost to death in other threads, but it sounds like it's time for you to investigate satellite radio. I believe both services let you sample their music streams online before you buy.

I have XM Satellite radio. The problem with them is they dont play the current tup hits on their urban channels. Raw and The City play some that I like, but most of it is stuff I never really cared for. When listening to XM I either listen to Allegria, XM Comedy, or Squizz. I think Opie & Anthony's show is funny. But its not the same as listening to a morning show on the radio that plays the current top hits, I dont mind the commercials much.

I have XM Satellite radio. The problem with them is they dont play the current tup hits on their urban channels. Raw and The City play some that I like, but most of it is stuff I never really cared for. When listening to XM I either listen to Allegria, XM Comedy, or Squizz. I think Opie & Anthony's show is funny. But its not the same as listening to a morning show on the radio that plays the current top hits, I dont mind the commercials much.

I have XM but can't take it to work i listen to 94.5 the buzz but get tired of rod selling timewarner DVR and Bud light. I just shut the radio off now.

The other day I turned on the radio and had in on V-103. All I heard was Mexican music so I changed the station and thought nothing of it because sometimes that station messes up and you can here other station mix in. But after a week of Spanish music, I have come to find out that V-103.1 (KVJM) was bought by Clear Channel Radio and fliped to Mexican music. Don't they already have enough stations? This leaves Bryan/College Station with no Urban radio Station. Do you guys think we will get another?

I started to freak at first. I thought you were referring to 103.7 in Houston which was formed after 101 KLOL switched to the Spanish format. Then I realized you were discussing Bryan / CS.

• The title was changed to KVJM Flips To Spanish Music

Archived