i was really surprised by this. whether you think this is

positive or negative, it is quite amazing and certainly a

houston topic:

"Roughly 10 percent of Mexico's population of about 107 million is now living

in the United States, estimates show. About 15 percent of Mexico's labor force

is working in the United States. One in every 7 Mexican workers migrates to

the United States."

full text link

I read somewhere that the business sector that recovered quickest was Western Union, because of all the immigrant laborers sending money back home. I guess it makes sense, since I don't think you need much more than a phone line and a terminal to do business.

i know it was mentioned in another thread, but i liked that the

article addressed that the problem is why they are fleeing mexico

vs. what is the best way to keep them out. i'm not sure what it would

take to help out over there but that problem does not seem to get any

airtime on mainstream news.

i know it was mentioned in another thread, but i liked that the

article addressed that the problem is why they are fleeing mexico

vs. what is the best way to keep them out. i'm not sure what it would

take to help out over there but that problem does not seem to get any

airtime on mainstream news.

Well said.

Also, I don't understand why the focus is on "protecting the border" by building walls and fences, etc. Waste of time. I keep hearing the "Minutemen" and some Congress members complaining that it wastes taxpayer dollars when they illegally cross, but in actuality, the issue is once they work on American soil, they don't have to pay taxes because they aren't registered as citizens. Shouldn't there be a bigger emphasis on making the process easier and quicker for illegal immigrants to become legal and registered citizens so they could pay their taxes and everyone's happy, instead of building a Berlin Wall first? The more immigrants that become citizens, the less illegal immigrants there are.

Also, those stats are sky-high. I wonder if Mexico has any future plans to improve overall labor conditions for current workers, and I wonder if Congress knows how much money the U.S. would make if the process were quicker and easier for illegal immigrants to have U.S. citizenship, were paid at LEAST $6 an hour, and all paid their taxes like those who already live here. I'd like to see a study or stats on that if any already exists.

Archived