The Houston Crossbow

C2H

i'm sorry to start a fascination thread. But i want to share an idea with you all that's been floating in my head for a while. The more i study Denver's extensive rail project T REX, the more i try to think of similar methods of study that could suit Houston. If Denver can come up with a cheesy name like T-REX, why couldn't it work for Houston? :lol: Here's the project description:

Imagine a circle with a cross in the midddle. I- 45 would be the verticle part of the cross, I-10 would be the horizontal, while 610 loop would of course be the circle. This concept would be called the Houston Crossbow project which would run lightrail alongside (I-45 from IAH to Gal), I-10 (from Katy to Galena Park), and around alongside the entire 610 loop. Having rail go alongside the entire 610 loop would take you pretty much to most focal points in the city without use of a car. There could be commuter busses to take you from the stations off these freeways to your destination or at least close to it like regular Bus routes currently do.

The existing Main Street line and the proposed Richmond/Westpark route would connect to the Houston CROSSBOW via 610 which would provide easy access to the Medical Center and downtown by Main Street. Think how easy this would connect the Houston Pavilions, sports stadiums, proposed downtown park, Hardy Rail Yards, UHD, and the intermodal station in one shot. Think how this city would automatically become more pedestrian- friendly widespread.

Of course my idea stemmed from the agressive steps of Denver's plan to having more extensive rail but it could definitely work. I'm thinking of writing both TXDOT and METRO with the idea. I think engineers and planners make it too hard in Houston on options where to put rail when it's so simple. Let me know if its a good idea or not. Of course i'm no engineer, but its an idea that could spark minds and provide options. :D

i'm sorry to start a fascination thread. But i want to share an idea with you all that's been floating in my head for a while. The more i study Denver's extensive rail project T REX, the more i try to think of similar methods of study that could suit Houston. If Denver can come up with a cheesy name like T-REX, why couldn't it work for Houston? :lol: Here's the project description:

Imagine a circle with a cross in the midddle. I- 45 would be the verticle part of the cross, I-10 would be the horizontal, while 610 loop would of course be the circle. This concept would be called the Houston Crossbow project which would run lightrail alongside (I-45 from IAH to Gal), I-10 (from Katy to Galena Park), and around alongside the entire 610 loop. Having rail go alongside the entire 610 loop would take you pretty much to most focal points in the city without use of a car. There could be commuter busses to take you from the stations off these freeways to your destination or at least close to it like regular Bus routes currently do.

The existing Main Street line and the proposed Richmond/Westpark route would connect to the Houston CROSSBOW via 610 which would provide easy access to the Medical Center and downtown by Main Street. Think how easy this would connect the Houston Pavilions, sports stadiums, proposed downtown park, Hardy Rail Yards, UHD, and the intermodal station in one shot. Think how this city would automatically become more pedestrian- friendly widespread.

Of course my idea stemmed from the agressive steps of Denver's plan to having more extensive rail but it could definitely work. I'm thinking of writing both TXDOT and METRO with the idea. I think engineers and planners make it too hard in Houston on options where to put rail when it's so simple. Let me know if its a good idea or not. Of course i'm no engineer, but its an idea that could spark minds and provide options. :D

The aspect that most seriously detracts from this proposal is that light rail run along the entire 610 Loop. You do realize that the east loop would be extremely expensive to build and wouldn't have a great deal of ridership anyway, right?

Also, building alongside the loop isn't going to foster the right kind of development to get substantial support from your new urbanist crowd...and they're the political core of light rail projects.

Given its history, why not call the Houston light rail Transit system "T-Wrecks"?

:lol:

Actually, the idea has some merit, but only after the additional lines that were on the ballot are built.

I don't think it has to be circular, but rather, in roughly straight lines from say S. Post oak and Main up past the Butler Stadium. Another leading from say Clay Rd @ Hemstead, along 610 North past LBJ, etc.

Quite a few of those routes could be express with limited stops.

Personally, I'd like to see a memorial route with limited stops that could serve as a fast way to the I-10 P&R (that would eliminate the need for quite a few busses connecting there) or down to the galleria/uptown area.

• 1 month later...
The aspect that most seriously detracts from this proposal is that light rail run along the entire 610 Loop. You do realize that the east loop would be extremely expensive to build and wouldn't have a great deal of ridership anyway, right?

Also, building alongside the loop isn't going to foster the right kind of development to get substantial support from your new urbanist crowd...and they're the political core of light rail projects.

Not unless U successfully yank a bunch of ppl from their cars that cross the Sidney Sherman Bridge into the East Loop line to work or tour the Port of Houston. The way I see it: have 100 ppl ride it over the bridge, fantastic views of the Ship Channel and Downtown Houston, plus the Beltway 8 and Hartman Bridge views from miles away -- all at your window while riding. No driving, no having to turn your head to get the views you want. :lol: Another way I see it: spose U want to see the Texans or some concert at Reliant Park. And you want to go shopping at the Galleria or go to Memorial Park. Jump on the Metrorail along South Loop and West Loop, loop around to the Galleria. :D Of course Bellaire may not want it cuttin thru :unsure:, so it'll just follow a vacant piece of land alongside railroad tracks and the ugly spiderweb of transmission towers full of power lines between South Loop and Richmond.

To threadstarter: U did mention the T-REX but DC METRO also has this proposal called the Purple Line; it would run alongside I-495 Capital Beltway. So that's more inspiration for your thread idea. :D Given the fact that Houston is car dependent, unless somethings done, tryna get between these hot spots with severly limited rail at this point in time is still a setback to the car.

Archived