Northside Commute To Get Worse Before It Gets Better

Northside commuters face more traffic headaches

Infrastructure must be replaced, not repaired, experts say

By HEATHER L. NICHOLSON

Chronicle Correspondent

Bad news for commuters: Drive time into Houston will not get better with time.

In fact, the average commute time of 30-45 minutes is likely to increase in the next 30 years, according to a panel of transportation and development experts.

full story

Northside commuters face more traffic headaches

Infrastructure must be replaced, not repaired, experts say

By HEATHER L. NICHOLSON

Chronicle Correspondent

Bad news for commuters: Drive time into Houston will not get better with time.

In fact, the average commute time of 30-45 minutes is likely to increase in the next 30 years, according to a panel of transportation and development experts.

full story

Car Pooling Option?

Things will get worse over time unless more roads are built or people can be convinced to travel more than one per car. I have been looking for a van pool or a car pool for about a year now. The best site for matching up poeple to car pool I have found is <www.nuride.com>. Has any one else tried this? How did it work out? I have not had any matches yet, but I commute to The Woodlands from near College Station. Not many people from College Station have signed up for it compared to the number from Houston and The Woodlands.

Of the 70% of Woodlands residents that don't commute downtown, I think Redscare is right that many of them commute somewhere outside of The Woodlands. If I'm remembering correctly, there are 80,000 residents in TW and 40,000 jobs located here. And it's expected to go to something like 120,000 residents and 60,000 jobs. So basically there's a 2:1 ratio of residents to jobs. And I'm guessing that, like Seth, many of those jobs are held by folks from places outside The Woodlands like College Station or whatever. So I'm guessing that maybe as little as half of the jobs in The Woodlands are actually held by Woodlands residents. So that means 25% of people who live in The Woodlands actually work in The Woodlands as well. Maybe it's as high 30% or 40%, but it can't be much more than that. And it looks like it'll never get much higher than that. So most folks are presumably commuting to Kingwood or Katy or whatever.

^There are kids in the Woodlands.

I was thinking about that, too (housewives, children, retirees, college students, etc.), but then I realized they could only have been counting actual workers. The article said "about 80 percent of The Woodlands used to commute into Houston. Now, it's 30 percent because jobs were created (in The Woodlands)". So if it was once 80%, they couldn't have been counting children. There are perhaps as many or more children in The Woodlands as there are working adults.

that last stats i saw on the woodlands showed that children made up between 25% & 35% of the entire population. the current population, according to interfaith, is around 80,000. so figure, 24k kids and 30k local workers. that would leave 26k to commute or stay at home. however you look at it, the woodlands is not a typical bedroom community.