Say What You Wanna Say Thread

houstonsemipro

Black voters turn out in record numbers

06:58 PM CDT on Friday, October 29, 2004

By Wendell Edwards / 11 News

Click to watch video

Election officials say nearly 345,000 people had voted in Harris County through Thursday. That's a jump of more than 116,000 voters from the 2000 election.

The numbers are also big for minority voters.

At the Power Center, in southwest Houston, dozens lined up to vote early -- only to realize they had to wait. In some cases, the wait was nearly two hours.

"It's good to see a lot of people turning out, but the lines are just real long," says early voter Carolyn Davis.

Poll workers say it's been that way most of the week at the predominately Democratic precinct. Carol Stanley believes she knows why.

"I think people were really upset about what happened in Florida and they are determined to get out and make every vote count," says barber Carol Stanley.

"Well, I guess they want to see a new president," says voter Kirby Davis.

In the last presidential election, accusations of voter disenfranchisement throughout Florida resulted in complaints of election irregularities affecting minority voting. Political experts say what happened then, could fuel a large black turnout across the nation for this election.

"Right now, we've got an election that we know is very close. No one wants to miss it. And another big important factor, the candidates and political parties are working to turnout that vote. No question they are going to be there," political analyst Bob Stein says.

At the headquarters of the Harris County Republican Party, turnout in predominantly Republican precincts is strong as well.

"We are seeing studies showing that African-Americans are twice more likely to vote for the President, President Bush, this time around, than they were four years ago, so it's encouraging," says Harris County Republican Party Executive Director Court Koening.

It is encouraging for both political parties, who say the black turnout may be the deciding factor.

Those numbers will tell the story. All early voting numbers, and the breakdown, won't be out until after polls close on Election Day.

I say bush gonna win, and i hope he wins. Kerry is just a wuss, and he look like a wuss. Softhearted bastard thats what he is. We need somebody hard and tough in that office, and bush has it. I'm also surprised that alot of black people voting for bush, more then four years ago. Good cause i'm black, and i'm voting for him too. GO BUSH! PISS ON KERRY'S HEAD!

Since you bring up the subject of black people voting, doesn't it bother you that Bush stole the Florida vote in the last election by throwing out the votes of African-Americans? and that the Republican party is still using filthy techniques,including intimidation, to prevent black people from voting?

It makes me sick to think that people - both black and white - fought and died in the 50s and 60s to get the Voting Rights Act of 1965 passed (ever hear of it?), only to have the next generation fall down so badly. You're going to vote for the guy who oppresses your own people?

You might feel a bit differently if Texas was a swing state (if you know what that means). You may have faced a lot more problems casting your ballot. Talk to people in Florida.

I feel sorry for you. And a bit disgusted.

topic moved to Way Off Topic (where it belonged to begin with :angry: )

Edited by dbigtex56

IMO Bush is much more soft-hearted than Kerry. I havent been to pleased with these 4 years with Bush. To me it seems like he's only concerned with the war, we need someone who cares about the economy and who will get us out of this war.

I say bush gonna win, and i hope he wins. Kerry is just a wuss, and he look like a wuss. Softhearted bastard thats what he is. We need somebody hard and tough in that office, and bush has it. I'm also surprised that alot of black people voting for bush, more then four years ago. Good cause i'm black, and i'm voting for him too. GO BUSH! PISS ON KERRY'S HEAD!

wow, what a compelling argument....