The Katy Freeway

Trae

What do all of you think about these renderings for the Katy Freeway. To me, it looks pretty nice, and not having rail down the middle doesn't seem to bad anymore, although it would have looked nice in a depressed freeway. Here are some before and afters:

At Fry Road:

Before

Katy_Fry_Present.jpg

After

Katy_Fry_Future.jpg

At Highway 6

Before

SH6_Before.jpg

After

SH6_After.jpg

At Beltway 8

Before

BW8_Base_Photo3.jpg

After

BW8_Rendering_final3.jpg

What do yall think?

Edit: For more, look here http://www.katyfreeway.org

Please tell me that the retaining walls will not be mint green like in this rendering...

SH6_After.jpg

I have to give credit where credit is due: the new Fry Road interchange looks pretty much identical to its "after" image. That is, minus the trees, which they've not planted yet.

And I didn't know that they were planning to build a flyover at Hwy 6.

Not only will there be a flyover at SH 6, but I've heard that the flyover will be 1 MILE long!

btw, I think the painted stars in Katy look pretty good. Lots of detail.

Not only will there be a flyover at SH 6, but I've heard that the flyover will be 1 MILE long!

btw, I think the painted stars in Katy look pretty good. Lots of detail.

I guess it's all a matter of taste. They seem a little to over the top to me.

I do wish they would do a little more to the park and rides instead of leaving them bare of foilage.

I guess it's all a matter of taste. They seem a little to over the top to me.

I think they're a bit cheezy as well, but I've made my opinions on the unoriginal, overused and ubiquitous use of Stars on every government project in the State known before, so I won't do it here.

I dont like how they are mixing and matching two patterns on the panels around dairy ashford, kirkwood.. perhaps other places.

One has like a 4-6 inch curved reveal along the bottom of the panel, others don't... but they're just mixing and matching, putting them side by side so that the reveal is sporadic.

It's very noticable and very sloppy looking

• 2 weeks later...
Please tell me that the retaining walls will not be mint green like in this rendering...

SH6_After.jpg

Actually, like someone said before, each interchange is slightly different but I do know for sure after driving by them this weekend that the new Greenhouse exit and I think the new Park 10 exits are green like that. Actually - they are two different shades of green - kind of weird, but kind of cool too. As for the stars - I have seen one or two guys out there on ladders actually hand painting those things. Some look wierd, others are cool, but they are at a lot of the interchanges.

In early 2007 they will start demolishing all of the bridges at BW8 and I-10 and then reconstruct all of them again. If you look closely right now you will see the new support beams that have already been constructed. As for the HWY 6 flyover, it will make things at that interchange much better. Grand Parkway will have the exact same style flyover and eventually will be just like BW8 and I-10 with all of the direct connectors (even though they are not part of the current plan). I get my information from a good source:

www.katyfreeway.org

• 4 weeks later...

I actually like the star on Fry Road. I actually wish they did the Katy Freeway design like they are doing the Southwest Freeway design.

And the freeway will be jam packed in rush hour. Not every single hour of the day, like right now.

• 3 weeks later...

is that huge vacant track to remain empty on the south side of the freeway at hwy 6? the before photos are extremely old. they still show the old conoco station and they do not even have the new post office in the photos (south of hwy 6)

• 2 months later...

When are they going to get that ramp over to the Grand Parkway South from IH-10 West, and one from Grand Parkway South to IH-10 North. You should see the traffic at 6:30 PM and AM at this intersection. A ramp is needed.

The rail line should have been incorporated into the plans. Maybe elevated railroad, instant commuter line.

Why do you need rail when you have the excellent HOV lane/Park and Ride lot system that is already in place and will be even better after the freeway construction is finished.

In my mind, I don't see the difference between that and a rail with "train" stations.

Why do you need rail when you have the excellent HOV lane/Park and Ride lot system that is already in place and will be even better after the freeway construction is finished.

In my mind, I don't see the difference between that and a rail with "train" stations.

If Houston don't cap the pollution, the epa will cap the growth. Ask Beaumont about it.

Archived