Briarcrest traffic plan proposed

aggie0083

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/042506/local_20060425009.php

Bryan's transportation planner will recommend Tuesday that the state withdraw its plan to place medians along Briarcrest Drive and Villa Maria Road. Instead, the Texas Department of Transportion will be asked to consider widening the heavily traveled roads.

TxDOT planned to spend at least $2 million for raised medians from North Earl Rudder Freeway along Briarcrest to 29th Street. The plan called for left- and right-turn lanes at major intersections such as 29th Street, Freedom Boulevard and at the frontage road to the bypass.

The first phase of the three-stage project, which was scheduled to start in July 2007, would cover the work from the freeway to 29th Street. The final phases call for extending the improvements to Wellborn Road, said TxDOT spokesman Bob Colwell, but money for the work has not been approved.

Colwell said the project is aimed at improving safety and traffic flow through the intersections.

But John Dean, the city of Bryan's transportation planner, said the TxDOT plan doesn't address multiple problems. He said the Briarcrest/Villa Maria corridor - F.M. 1179 - "is our central business corridor," and the project could hinder access to homes and businesses. The project also fails to deal with the growing traffic on the corridor.

He said the road will carry an average 42,000 vehicles a day by next year, according to TxDOT predictions, and that number is projected to grow to 62,000 vehicles by 2027. The road was designed to handle a daily capacity of 35,000 vehicles, Dean said.

"We believe the proposed plans will be of little help in addressing this problem, and we further believe it may be perceived as a poor use of the taxpayers' dollars to apply a superficial treatment to this roadway, knowing in a few short years more money will have to be spent on this roadway again," Dean wrote in a letter to TxDOT that he will ask the City Council to sign at Tuesday's meeting.

Bob Appleton, TxDOT's director of transportation planning and development, said Monday he was not aware that the city might seek a change in the project plans.

"When we studied it, we actually found that the [traffic] delays were mostly caused at the intersections, and we felt like the work we were proposing to provide additional turning capacity would do a lot of good," Appleton said.

If the Bryan council decides to oppose the project, Appleton said, TxDOT might consider moving the $2 million for the medians to another project.

He said the agency probably would meet with the Metropolitan Planning Organization and look at how the projects are prioritized. "We could go forward with something else," he said.

Appleton said a large-scale widening project is probably needed, but is not feasible now because of the expenses of buying right-of-way. TxDOT and the city pay for such expenses, Appleton said, with TxDOT handling 90 percent of the cost. The Bryan City Council voted in January to contribute 10 percent of the cost to acquire the right of way but not to exceed $85,000.

"Certainly [widening] would add more capacity, but it would be a very expensive proposition given how close the business parking, buildings and houses are to the road," Appleton said.

Dean said he hopes TxDOT will shift the funds to a project that doesn't involve medians but still addresses the traffic flow on F.M. 1179.

"If [TxDOT is] going to do something, it needs to account for the traffic that's currently existing and the traffic that they're projecting," he said. "The design they've proposed doesn't do either of those things."

If the Bryan council decides to oppose the project, Appleton said, TxDOT might consider moving the $2 million for the medians to another project.

He said the agency probably would meet with the Metropolitan Planning Organization and look at how the projects are prioritized. "We could go forward with something else," he said.

Appleton said a large-scale widening project is probably needed, but is not feasible now because of the expenses of buying right-of-way.

In other words, Bryan you better take what we give you or else you get nothing.

Fine.

Nothing is better than the proposed plan. TxDot did a great job with medians along Hwy. 21(San Jacinto) and Boonville Rd., but those were primarily residential/open areas, not an office/retail corridor. A year or two ago there was a meeting with residents of Briarcrest Estates whose houses back up to Briarcrest. I'm pretty sure it was TxDot who held the meeting and it dealt with the possiblity of building a wall along the street once widening occured, and that is exactly what should happen. Sure, the few who still use the back entrance will be affected, but they should have known for at least 10-15 years that access to Briarcrest was a luxury of the past.

Bryan may have to pick up more of the cost than they should have to, but a six-lane Briarcrest-Villa Maria is needed from Hwy. 6 to at least Texas Ave., if not all the way west to Wellborn.

Fine.

Nothing is better than the proposed plan. TxDot did a great job with medians along Hwy. 21(San Jacinto) and Boonville Rd., but those were primarily residential/open areas, not an office/retail corridor. A year or two ago there was a meeting with residents of Briarcrest Estates whose houses back up to Briarcrest. I'm pretty sure it was TxDot who held the meeting and it dealt with the possiblity of building a wall along the street once widening occured, and that is exactly what should happen. Sure, the few who still use the back entrance will be affected, but they should have known for at least 10-15 years that access to Briarcrest was a luxury of the past.

Bryan may have to pick up more of the cost than they should have to, but a six-lane Briarcrest-Villa Maria is needed from Hwy. 6 to at least Texas Ave., if not all the way west to Wellborn.

Kind of off subject, but:

Are their any plans to have a consistant name of FM1179 instead fo it switching from Briarcrest to Villa Maria? I thought I heard something about that in the past.

As far as I know, the name change possibility fizzled out.

It reminds me of a plan to change change the names of Texas Ave., which currently has three designations; North Texas Ave. and South Texas Ave. in Bryan and Texas Ave. South in College Station. Apparantly the powers that be wanted to simplify the names to aide mail delivery and those unfamiliar with the area. A public meeting was held and because there wasn't "enough public interest" the plan was scrapped.

Point being, there usually isn't a lot of public interest to change the status quo. Many who grew up here don't see the big deal with the way things are. Those that move in and are told, "To get to Blinn, which is on Villa Maria, turn right from Texas onto Villa Maria and at the third light take a left onto Villa Maria, otherwise you will be on Briarcrest", might think that a change is needed.

Recently a historical marker was placed at the former site of the Villa Maria Ursuline Academy, which as I recall was last open in the 1920's. I think it might be time to move on from having two streets named for something that was last around before College Station was incorporated.

Extending the use of the name Briarcrest west to Hwy. 47 and keeping the name Villa Maria north of the current Briar-Villa intersection makes the most sense, but a new name for the corridor might work as well.

Fine.

My sources told me last year that funds for a noise barrier wall behind those homes on Briarcrest was planned for the 2006 or 2007 City of Bryan budget.

• 1 month later...

Input sought on Briarcrest project

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

Bryan's transportation planner is seeking feedback on the state's plan to reconfigure portions of Briarcrest Drive and Villa Maria Road - a plan he says could potentially limit access to the homes and businesses along the central business corridor.

John Dean of the city's planning department is facilitating a public meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Bryan High School in order to gather feedback, which the city will then present to the Texas Department of Transportation.

The state plans to spend at least $2 million for raised medians from North Earl Rudder Freeway along Briarcrest to 29th Street. Left- and right-turn lanes would be placed at Briarcrest's intersections with 29th Street, Freedom Boulevard and the frontage road to the bypass.

The project, which TxDOT spokesmen say is designed to improve safety and traffic flow, is scheduled to begin in about a year.

Dean said, however, that it's poor use of taxpayer money to apply a temporary treatment to a road that in just a few years will need a complete overhaul - including a widening project similar to the one under way along Texas Avenue in College Station. Placing medians and left-turn lanes along the corridor could limit access to the numerous businesses along the road, he added.

"It's been since 2001 [that TxDOT last] held public meetings about this," Dean said. "In that time, there's been new development, and more stakeholders have become involved. We want to provide them a chance to look at the plans and make comments. Hopefully we can use those comments to work with TxDOT and come up with a solution that's agreeable to everyone."

Dean said he sent out about 300 postcards, but the proposed project could affect more than just the people who own homes and businesses along the corridor, also known as F.M. 1179.

"It affects the city at large because of how many people travel on this road," he said.

The Bryan City Council sent a letter to TxDOT in April, at Dean's recommendation, stating that it doesn't think the proposed traffic improvements along the corridor will adequately address future traffic demands. The roadway was designed to carry about 35,000 vehicles per day, but traffic along the corridor is expected to double by 2027, the letter states.

Dean said he hopes the feedback gathered in Tuesday's meeting can launch new talks with TxDOT.

"[City staff and TxDOT representatives] are going to have a meeting after this, and I'll present what I've found," he said. "We want something that's going to address the traffic concerns better."

Monday was a state holiday, and TxDOT representatives could not be reached for comment. They are, however, expected to attend the meeting on Tuesday evening.

Bob Appleton, TxDOT's director of transportation planning and development, has said that he's willing to sit down with Bryan officials and discuss altering the plan for raised medians and left-turn lanes.

However, he told The Eagle in April that he thinks the current plan does adequately address traffic concerns. Because most of the traffic delays along the road are caused at intersections, TxDOT's proposal to provide additional turning capacity actually could expedite traffic, Appleton has said.

IF YOU GO

A public meeting will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Bryan High School Blue Campus auditorium, Room 6117, at 3401 East 29th St., to gather input on the Texas Department of Transportation's proposed changes to F.M. 1179.

Hmm, after further review, I am for this project. At this meeting it was revealed that the proposed plan to put medians and turn lanes on Briarcrest would allow for future expansion to six lanes. If this was accurate information(and no one from TxDot disputed this), then this plan is probably the best Bryan can hope for at this time. I do feel for those who live on Quail Hollow, as access to their properties and portions of their backyards will surely be casualties to this and future improvements to Briarcrest.

Hmm, after further review, I am for this project. At this meeting it was revealed that the proposed plan to put medians and turn lanes on Briarcrest would allow for future expansion to six lanes. If this was accurate information(and no one from TxDot disputed this), then this plan is probably the best Bryan can hope for at this time. I do feel for those who live on Quail Hollow, as access to their properties and portions of their backyards will surely be casualties to this and future improvements to Briarcrest.

I too feel this is a good move for Bryan at this time, as it is better than nothing. The residents of Quail Hollow had to have seen area growth expanding and wonder if Briarcrest would be widened. To live in this neighborhood and think that Briarcrest would always be 4 lanes with a median shows some lack of thought. Similar to what happened on George Bush East, im sure once a plan for 6 lanes get made those houses will probably be gone, or have the sidewalk 4 feet from their back door. Its a sad thing to happen, but thats what happens in growing cities!

I agree. This needs to happen if not for safety reasons or those relating to traffic flow then definitely for asthetics. Look at University Drive or Texas Avenue near campus. You have a beautiful stretch of road with raised medians and landscaping which includes brick walls adjacent to the residential areas. Then you have Briarcrest which is supposed to be Bryan's major thoroughfare...or CBD. Its beginning to look like a depressed area. You've got wooden fences that are largely falling down and punctuated by the occassional driveway while across the street you've got Wal-Mart and its expanse of parking lot. It paints a pretty picture, no? I wouldn't want this to happen in my backyard either but if you own a home on Quail Hollow you had to at least expect that this would someday happen. It appears to be a step in the right direction if not the final cure. I wasn't at the meeting but it appeared from the article that Mr. Culpepper was very opposed to this in regards to his property on Villa Maria. Does anyone who was there and who saw the plans have any input on that?

I agree. This needs to happen if not for safety reasons or those relating to traffic flow then definitely for asthetics. Look at University Drive or Texas Avenue near campus. You have a beautiful stretch of road with raised medians and landscaping which includes brick walls adjacent to the residential areas. Then you have Briarcrest which is supposed to be Bryan's major thoroughfare...or CBD. Its beginning to look like a depressed area. You've got wooden fences that are largely falling down and punctuated by the occassional driveway while across the street you've got Wal-Mart and its expanse of parking lot. It paints a pretty picture, no? I wouldn't want this to happen in my backyard either but if you own a home on Quail Hollow you had to at least expect that this would someday happen. It appears to be a step in the right direction if not the final cure. I wasn't at the meeting but it appeared from the article that Mr. Culpepper was very opposed to this in regards to his property on Villa Maria. Does anyone who was there and who saw the plans have any input on that?

As far as the plans go, it was only for Briarcrest Dr. between Earl Rudder and 29th Street. 29th to Texas Ave have not been discussed on this agenda. TXDot however does list the stretch of 1179 between Earl Rudder and Texas Ave a priority area. Somehow, I think the problem is much larger then what state officials are thinking. The road needs to be widened to 6 NOW. The Traffic patterns on Briarcrest are not far from that of University Dr. at the time it was changed to 6 lanes. I guess to only difference is that Bryan doesnt have A&M in it's city limits... I love politics

• 5 months later...

TxDOT says Briarcrest widening unlikely

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

A plan to widen Briarcrest Drive to six lanes is too expensive to be feasible, officials with the Texas Department of Transportation told the Bryan City Council on Tuesday.

Instead, TxDOT officials will focus on an earlier plan to install medians with turn lanes along the busy Bryan corridor.

Full article

Archived