Relocating Help

Tank

There seems to be plenty of advice available here for someone like myself. I am relocating to the Houston area and looking for a house. I've heard many concerns about the Katy freeway, and one area I was looking at is Katy. How bad is it? How far away from it would you have to live not to feel the effects? One area I looked at was Cinco Ranch. Does anyone have any thoughts about that area? Since I have young kids, I'm kind of looking for some community like that. Another area is up north around Houston National golf course. Any thoughts there? Or any other good areas to look at. Thanks in advance.

Welcome Tank,

I've heard good things about Cinco Ranch.

Memorial Area is very nice.

Cypress is very nice

The Woodlands is very nice

Champions/Klein is very nice

You may want to take a look at Longwood. It's located in Cypress (close to the Houston National Golf Club mentioned earlier). Longwood has a very nice Golf Course, one of the top-rated daily fee courses in town. It is zoned to exemplary Cy-Fair schools along with the new Cypress Woods HS which takes in many of the best neighborhoods in Cypress. Cole's Crossing is another great neighborhood nearby.

http://www.cypress-advisors.com/projects/longwood.html

Edited by mrfootball

There seems to be plenty of advice available here for someone like myself. I am relocating to the Houston area and looking for a house. I've heard many concerns about the Katy freeway, and one area I was looking at is Katy. How bad is it? How far away from it would you have to live not to feel the effects? One area I looked at was Cinco Ranch. Does anyone have any thoughts about that area? Since I have young kids, I'm kind of looking for some community like that. Another area is up north around Houston National golf course. Any thoughts there? Or any other good areas to look at. Thanks in advance.

Welcome. I'd approach it like this:

1. What is your budget (what you're willing to spend)?

2. Do you have kids and, if so, do you want public schools or private schools?

3. How much of your life do you want to waste commuting?

I'm assuming that you: have kids, want them in public schools, have a budget that prices you out of the inner loop, and you don't mind commuting an hour each way to Downtown or the Galleria area. If so, Cinco Ranch fits the bill.

One thing that sent me to the north side of Houston away from Cinco Ranch is trees. Because of geology, Katy is unfortunately located in a part of Houston (the west side) that is flat and barren. And North Houston was a forest of tall pine trees. With Houston being so hot for so much of the year, I like the shade.

Do you already have a job lined up? Only 7% of our workforce is employed Downtown, so if you end up working in the burbs, its pretty easy to make a choice based upon that factor alone. If you're in Greenway, TMC, or the Galleria area, you've also got some flexibility, but its still better to be coming in from the west or southwest in those instances than from the north or northwest.

I've found, working out west and living near the Texas Medical Center, that the reverse commute is often strangely worse than the regular commute...at least that's true of the afternoons. I can't remember the last time I woke up early enough to come in to work on time...but that'll be cured in a few years, if only for another five.

In addition to Cinco Ranch, I'd say hit areas like Fairfield, Kingwood, The Woodlands, etc...that way you can be assured of a large home in a homoginous neighhborhood. Now if you want to expose your family to everyday people and life and a rich cultural experience, you could look at Oak Forest, Garden Oaks, Lindale, Timbergrove, Lazybrook and The Heights. Well built older homes in established and well-kept neighborhoods with quick, non-freeway access to downtown, the Museum District, Greenway, TMC and the Galleria with the diversity that will allow your family to have a well-rounded growing experience. I sincerly hope you will explore these possibilities. More people like yourselves are a boon to the inner city.

B)

Edited by nmainguy